6.2L Yes or No

13 minutes ago, Al Basinger said:

HI First time poster (currently own a 2011 Colorado w/the 5.3) , looking at the new full size. Of course I would love to go to a 6.2 as I'm sure the difference is night and day  just like my 5.3 v8 is vs the inline 5 in the Colorado. That being said when I see comments of it being either (only) $2500 or $3700 more, I must be missing something. I realize those amounts are probably the 6.2 option and the 10 spd but the past couple years I have looked at getting a low optioned 6.2 in "build & price", GM won't allow just getting a 6.2 with virtually no high end packages.  Seems like getting into a 6.2 is more like $10 grand putting the trucks up near $60 K or better.  Did this change ? I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.  Thanks

No I believe you are mostly correct. The 10 speed is new for 2019, but (and I'm not 100% certain) I think you are right on it available as an option on the upper optioned trucks. As for pricing, well I bought a loaded out SLT with 6.2 for well under $60K but I get what you're saying, it would be nice if available in a single cab or whatever you wanted. It may be possible but I haven't seen one here locally.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SS502 said:

Seems we are trying to solve a problem WE created :uhoh:...I don't care what anyone buys, drives, worships, modifies or blows up. Grumpy has the 4.3 and gets the most out of it and it seems to suit him and Pepper just fine, another member has a Supercharger on his 6.2 and seems happy too so it's all subjective to your wants/needs. I enjoy my 6.2 but I am sure if I had the 5.3 I would enjoy that too because I would have test drove it and found it satisfactory for my wants/need and if I had chosen the 4.3 I'd be happy with that too because again...I bought what I wanted/needed and don't really care what anyone else thinks, they didn't write the check!

You, sir, have used way too much logic in that statement. It is a well known fact that each induvial on these sites are experts and their mass produced trucks are far superior than anyone else's mass produced truck because it is theirs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Basinger said:

HI First time poster (currently own a 2011 Colorado w/the 5.3) , looking at the new full size. Of course I would love to go to a 6.2 as I'm sure the difference is night and day  just like my 5.3 v8 is vs the inline 5 in the Colorado. That being said when I see comments of it being either (only) $2500 or $3700 more, I must be missing something. I realize those amounts are probably the 6.2 option and the 10 spd but the past couple years I have looked at getting a low optioned 6.2 in "build & price", GM won't allow just getting a 6.2 with virtually no high end packages.  Seems like getting into a 6.2 is more like $10 grand putting the trucks up near $60 K or better.  Did this change ? I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.  Thanks

Unfortunately, the only way to get a 6.2 is with the high end LTZ or High Country package for Chevy and SLT  or Denali for GMC.. This frustrated me as well, as I didn't want all the Luxury associated with the high end trims, but for the price I paid for mine I am Ok with it. GM stopped offering the 6.2 in lower trims in 2014 with the debut of the K2XX body style... From 2010 to 2013 (GMT-900 body)the 6.2 was available in LT trim. I had one in my 2011 LT and it was great, was not all loaded up with stuff I didn't want.  I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it seems they are sticking with only offering it in the high trims for the T1 as well.

GM basically will not build truck with 6.2 unless you buy higher optioned truck model. Ford will build and sell you 5.0 coyote or 3.5 eco boost in lower trims. Not sure about Ram.

I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.  Thanks

Sorry Al.  Because of the G forces generated by the 6.2 , the cloth seats were not strong enough.

Edited by O Town Denali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, maybe a work truck but more of a factory hot road/sleeper type setup - single cab, z71 with big Brembos and 3.73's. Somehow they let those 09-12 Colorado's out with the V8 and 4.10's /z71 so was hoping for something to replace it.  All the big 3 kind of do it. Ford lets you have a 150 with a Raptor engine option but only if you order a ton of stuff to get to it. Either you order the 'cowboy Cadillac' or you get the plain Jane.  Some kill joy in marketing won't let us re live the "Jay Leno type   order bank" of the 60''s (ie Yenko, Hemi Dart, etc) that was secretly allowed if you knew what you really wanted to get on a budget.   :P

Edited by Al Basinger

Well first, I would like to thank everyone that took some of their time to give me their input...some interesting to say the least....lol!  But for all it's worth I ordered a 6.2 today.....mayby for the wrong reason, but this way I should'a….could'a, would'a won't be in the cards. And at an age that it could be awhile to the next one....Anyway folks again thanks for your time....and will be back with the " Verdict"  lol !                      AG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

""""I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.""""

Not going to happen.. you will need to be leathered up to get a 6.2... and likely only a crew cab. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

""""I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.""""

Can relate. years I drove single cabs with vinyl seats.I would have chosen the cab & a half but after driving this..it's like a modern day Cadillac Fleetwood and 0-60 under 7 sec beast with a bed and 4wd combined..

10 hours ago, goose hunter said:

Well first, I would like to thank everyone that took some of their time to give me their input...some interesting to say the least....lol!  But for all it's worth I ordered a 6.2 today.....mayby for the wrong reason, but this way I should'a….could'a, would'a won't be in the cards. And at an age that it could be awhile to the next one....Anyway folks again thanks for your time....and will be back with the " Verdict"  lol !                      AG

Congratulations, good choice, and thanks for letting us have fun with the post!

• Like 1