Cooked top half of driver seat

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has had this issue, it happen a while back and the seat one day (top half) went crooked on my 2014, it is a powered drivers seat, I did take a look and under the seat everything looks fine, also was at the dealer for a 60k maint and asked them to look at it and the service lady was like that’s how the seat is supposed to be lol which is definitely wrong, as you can see in the pics it’s twisted and crooked tords the door, so if anyone has seen this I would love to know a fix or will I have to buy a whole new frame, can’t seam to find much info on this problem, also to note the seat is solid and does not have extra movement. If I have to I can post better pics 

5445CCF1-476A-4155-9D46-D6E7701F9FF6.jpeg

F290A0DC-F2CE-4FB9-A3C8-4F5683D90A57.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hockeywisher said:

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has had this issue, it happen a while back and the seat one day (top half) went crooked on my 2014, it is a powered drivers seat, I did take a look and under the seat everything looks fine, also was at the dealer for a 60k maint and asked them to look at it and the service lady was like that’s how the seat is supposed to be lol which is definitely wrong, as you can see in the pics it’s twisted and crooked tords the door, so if anyone has seen this I would love to know a fix or will I have to buy a whole new frame, can’t seam to find much info on this problem, also to note the seat is solid and does not have extra movement. If I have to I can post better pics 

5445CCF1-476A-4155-9D46-D6E7701F9FF6.jpeg

F290A0DC-F2CE-4FB9-A3C8-4F5683D90A57.jpeg

Run it through all of the power functions, and listen for something that does not sound right. Look underneath the seat and see if anything looks like it has been rubbing, paint missing, etc. And welcome to the site!

Edited by JimCost2014

Yeah no sounds coming from it and underneath I took the panels off and it all seamed good, I’m thinking of getting a new bottom frame and top ordered since it’s looking like the only way to really see what going on is to take the whole seat out of the truck, if I go that way I’ll put pics of the fix up 

• 2 weeks later...
5445CCF1-476A-4155-9D46-D6E7701F9FF6.thumb.jpeg.0e69217ee44a6bce457ad65b7deede22.jpeg
F290A0DC-F2CE-4FB9-A3C8-4F5683D90A57.thumb.jpeg.1fd62c468680e90d19c2d5ea9cf309bb.jpeg

Looks like maybe the left and right recliner mechanisms are out of synch. If you take the trim cover off the seat back you should be able to get a look at the synch rod that spans the frame between the left and right recliner pivot points. If they’re out of synch it should be obvious. Might not be a simple fix, but should help you communicate better to the dealer what’s going on.

2018 GMC Sierra - Elevation Edition

• 1 year later...

Hey all. So I noticed my drivers side seat was misaligned as well. The right side (when seated) was not wanting to move with the left side when I used the button to adjust it. It was WAY off. I mean unless the setback was straight up and down it was just.. bad. Anyways I took the cloth off the back and started looking. Noticed the right side (again if you were sitting.in the pickup) where the drive motor is was moving when I went either direction with the switch! Figured that wasn't supposed to be doing that?? Kept looking and what I found was this:

The metal rod that goes from the motor side and connects to the left side wasnt in the hole on the (right) motor side! All the way on the left side it had.pushed out the backside and wasn't connecting with the drive motor side, thus not letting seat move in tandem, therefore making it crooked! So I put the seat as straight up and down as I could (eyeballed it) and got a flat head screwdriver. I pushed the rod (on right side that wasn't where it should have been) until it was aligned with the hole it should have been in. Then I went to the left side (side that it had pushed through to far) and put the flat blade of the screwdriver to the end of that rod. Got a hammer and tapped it until it went through the RIGHT side. And.. Whalahh! Both sides move together now and no more crooked seatback! 

If thats clear as mud I'm sorry. Best I can explain it. Anyways, hope this helps at least a little. 

• Like 1

Hey all. So I noticed my drivers side seat was misaligned as well. The right side (when seated) was not wanting to move with the left side when I used the button to adjust it. It was WAY off. I mean unless the seatback was straight up and down it was just.. bad. Anyways, I took the cloth off the back of the seat and started looking. Noticed the right side (again if you were sitting in the pickup) where the drive motor is, was moving when I went either direction with the switch. Figured that wasn't supposed to be doing that?? Kept looking and what I found was this:

The metal rod that goes from the motor side and connects to the left side of the seat wasnt in its hole on the (right side) motor side! All the way on the left side it had pushed out the backside and wasn't connecting with the drive side, thus not letting the seat move in tandem, therefore making it crooked! So I put the seat as straight up and down as I could (eyeballed it) and got a flat head screwdriver. I pushed the rod (on right side that wasn't where it should have been) until it was aligned with its hole it should have been in. Then I went to the left side (side that it had pushed through too far) and put the flat blade of the screwdriver to the end of that rod. Got a hammer and tapped it until it went through the RIGHT side as it should be. And.. Whalahh! Both sides move together now and no more crooked seatback! 

If thats clear as mud I'm sorry. Best I can explain it. Anyways, hope this helps at least a little. 

Edited by Jakerf1
Clarification and spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jakerf1 said:

Hey all. So I noticed my drivers side seat was misaligned as well. The right side (when seated) was not wanting to move with the left side when I used the button to adjust it. It was WAY off. I mean unless the setback was straight up and down it was just.. bad. Anyways I took the cloth off the back and started looking. Noticed the right side (again if you were sitting.in the pickup) where the drive motor is was moving when I went either direction with the switch! Figured that wasn't supposed to be doing that?? Kept looking and what I found was this:

The metal rod that goes from the motor side and connects to the left side wasnt in the hole on the (right) motor side! All the way on the left side it had.pushed out the backside and wasn't connecting with the drive motor side, thus not letting seat move in tandem, therefore making it crooked! So I put the seat as straight up and down as I could (eyeballed it) and got a flat head screwdriver. I pushed the rod (on right side that wasn't where it should have been) until it was aligned with the hole it should have been in. Then I went to the left side (side that it had pushed through to far) and put the flat blade of the screwdriver to the end of that rod. Got a hammer and tapped it until it went through the RIGHT side. And.. Whalahh! Both sides move together now and no more crooked seatback! 

Good info, anyway you can post a picture and post it? 

Lot easier to understand the parts when we can see them.

37 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Good info, anyway you can post a picture and post it? 

Lot easier to understand the parts when we can see them.

I didn't get any pics, I apologize. It was 20 degrees and I was just trying to get it fixed! Maybe when it warms up and I get a chance I will see if I can get any pics of the parts I mentioned. 

14 hours ago, Jakerf1 said:

I didn't get any pics, I apologize. It was 20 degrees and I was just trying to get it fixed! Maybe when it warms up and I get a chance I will see if I can get any pics of the parts I mentioned. 

20 degrees sounds like a good excuse to finish the job quickly, can not blame you there.