Another Disappointing Breakdown and No Support from GM Customer Service

Today as others on the forum described I had to replace my front Magneride struts/shocks on a garage queen mainly highway miles truck. My 2016 Sierra Denali Ultimate is barely 2 years and 9 months old and has 54,000 miles.

I feel fortunate to have caught it when I did as I am a Scoutmaster and was about to take my troop and the scout trailer on a trip from Dallas to near Hot Springs, Arkansas for a campout.

So the killer to the pocket was $1,800 plus tax and I did not get a chance to shop it due to the timing of our scout trip. Dealership did what currently seems to be a good job. I direct messaged GMCustomerSupport through this site with no response.... None.... So I contacted GMCustomerSupport by phone today and was told this failure is completely acceptable under wear and tear at that mileage. I might have accepted this if I had not already been through a TCM failure, fuel injector failures and now Magneride shock failures. Bummer to not have GM Support on this. My old 2008 Sierra Denali has 190,000 miles on it, still has original injectors (I know not direct injection 6.2L motor), original TCM and original shocks. Still rides great.

Seriously makes me want to warn anybody what they will be getting into with these newer GM trucks. Caveat Emptor! I know s@@t happens but I just wish they had taken the time to get off the monitor screen of canned messages to realize how costly and bad this is. I just wanted my customer loyalty, the failures that I have already had to fix, and an acknowledgement of a now premature failure to be taken into account and something to be done but sadly the answer was NO! And don't let the door hit you in the way out.

Rant over just letting out some frustrations.. Moving on and will fix it with my check book on the next truck purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Today as others on the forum described I had to replace my front Magneride struts/shocks on a garage queen mainly highway miles truck. My 2016 Sierra Denali Ultimate is barely 2 years and 9 months old and has 54,000 miles.

I feel fortunate to have caught it when I did as I am a Scoutmaster and was about to take my troop and the scout trailer on a trip from Dallas to near Hot Springs, Arkansas for a campout.

So the killer to the pocket was $1,800 plus tax and I did not get a chance to shop it due to the timing of our scout trip. Dealership did what currently seems to be a good job. I direct messaged GMCustomerSupport through this site with no response.... None.... So I contacted GMCustomerSupport by phone today and was told this failure is completely acceptable under wear and tear at that mileage. I might have accepted this if I had not already been through a TCM failure, fuel injector failures and now Magneride shock failures. Bummer to not have GM Support on this. My old 2008 Sierra Denali has 190,000 miles on it, still has original injectors (I know not direct injection 6.2L motor), original TCM and original shocks. Still rides great.

Seriously makes me want to warn anybody what they will be getting into with these newer GM trucks. Caveat Emptor! I know s@@t happens but I just wish they had taken the time to get off the monitor screen of canned messages to realize how costly and bad this is. I just wanted my customer loyalty, the failures that I have already had to fix, and an acknowledgement of a now premature failure to be taken into account and something to be done but sadly the answer was NO! And don't let the door hit you in the way out.

Rant over just letting out some frustrations.. Moving on and will fix it with my check book on the next truck purchase.

It may or may not help, call back customer service and open a claim, let them know how unhappy you are and be persistent. No gauteentee they will do anything, but any help would be better than the nothing you have now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Know what's relatively cheap to replace?

Regular shocks.

Buy premium and expect to pay premium. This is not GM's fault, it's your own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Great reply. And so helpful too.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Regular shocks.

Kiss my premium ass... That cheap enough for you... Smart ass.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

It may or may not help, call back customer service and open a claim, let them know how unhappy you are and be persistent. No gauteentee they will do anything, but any help would be better than the nothing you have now. 
Thanks for the recommendation... I will check it out tomorrow.

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Regular shocks.

I hope irony changes your mind some day.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Thanks for the recommendation... I will check it out tomorrow.

You are very welcome. Good luck, use swear words like Ford and Dodge if you have to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

I agree that for the sticker price of these trucks, especially a Denali ultimate, that we should expect better longevity and build quality.  Trouble is that I don't see any manufacturer hitting it out of the park on this.  I've driven GM trucks for over 20 years, but am willing to consider other brands.  Take a look at FoMoCo boards for the F150.  Again it may be internet amplification but seems if Ford has no clue on how to produce an engine that doesn't have issues, rattles, cam phaser issues, oil leaks.  Again a look at FCA sites and you'll see rattles, lifter issues, electronic nightmares, etc.  Not defending GM at all but don't know who else does any better.  I did own a Toyota Tundra a few years back and it was NOT anything impressive in its short babied  life at my house.  Failed front rotors, failed radio. rust issues on the front bumper, trim that fell off, etc all in 40K of ownership.  My current 17 Denali has been ok, but suffered a direct injection pump failure which resulted in fuel being dumped into the crankcase.  Doesn't seem to have affected it as it was caught early, but I still wonder about long term effects.  My next truck may be any brand; it really seems to be a crap shoot if you get a good one.  

Best of luck and maybe GM will step up and offer some help on the failure.

• Like 3

It definitely is a crapshoot on whether or not any of this customer service from any company will help you with the products that they build. In this climate they are selling their for they are not helping people with their problems as much as they would if they were looking for sales. Definitely make your point known with your checkbook unfortunately you had to pay for your magneride replacement shocks. Highly doubt that GM will help in any way at all but let them know how you feel vent with them and then move on. It sucks I feel your pain I've had my issues had to fix them myself and not involve GM. As another poster said all of these manufacturers have some type of problem somewhere. Therefore as customers this is a crapshoot.

8 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

LOL, buy premium and expect to pay more for failures that shouldn’t happen...  No. My expectation would be if I am 1. A loyal returning customer and 2. Spending a lot of money like on a denali, that I would be buying a machine that will not break so often and so early. I don’t care what trim level I have, I don’t expect parts like suspension to fail that early - I am used to heavy duty parts going into trucks and not failing. I wish you luck because I know if I had to foot the bill like you, I would be very much inclined to never return to GM. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

I agree.  Be respectful and remember the agent is human and doing his or her job.  Customer service agents are working within a set of guidelines and are working within limited discretionary powers.  If you are rude or threatening your chances are reduced that this particular human will pass you on to a person with increased discretionary power. Chances are good , imo, that a carefully worded plea will result in a break for the, Op.

10 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Regular shocks.

Guess you missed the part about already having gone through a TCM failure...and Injector failures and now the Magnaride. You do realize that we ALL have TCMs and Injectors don't you? Just because he has a system you obviously don't doesn't give GM a pass...

Edited by SS502

10 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Today as others on the forum described I had to replace my front Magneride struts/shocks on a garage queen mainly highway miles truck. My 2016 Sierra Denali Ultimate is barely 2 years and 9 months old and has 54,000 miles

Not a garage queen....you are 6,000 miles/year over the average mileage per year. Doesn't excuse the issue, but that is way over average.

• Like 2