Hi everyone, I'm new here, apologize for any posting errors in advance. 

Just picked up a CPO 2017 Sierra 1500 earlier this month after trading in my 2013 1500. Paint is in very good condition as it only had 12,xxx miles when I bought it so looks like the miles were gentle. I want t keep it looking as good as it does now and I keep seeing posts on social media about ceramic coatings. I really know nothing about it so wanted to hear from those who do. How long does it last, how do you wash it once applied, about what should I pay for a service like that, does the surface feel like there is wax on it or does it feel like bare metal? 

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Ceramic coating is indeed great. Stays cleaner, not clean. It still gets dirty. Adds a small amount of scratch protection. Usually looks great although a good carnuba wax will usually look better. It depends how much you want to spend. Can you wax a car you're self? Do you have a garage? Some of them are relatively easy to apply. A hundred bucks or so. Both of my vehicles are coated but I did them myself. The paint needs to be prepared properly though. At least strip washed and clayed. Even better polished. There are a lot of new products out there. Adams Polishes has a spray ceramic coating that you spray on a towel, wipe it on and wipe with another towel. Meguiar's  has a new ceramic spray also. And there are many more out there. It really comes down to money and how much effort you want to put into it.  The quick spray ceramic coatings will not last nearly as long as a professional job. But they should last 6 months to a year. Most ceramics also require an application periodically of another product to refresh it. This is an easy step though. Most estimates I hear are $800 to $1500 for coating without paint correction. Some will include a refresh. Usually on a schedule. I will re-apply mine when it's time. I like the stuff. but not at $1000+ . Ceramic based paste waxes also work well.

Ive had the ceramic coating applied to my vehicle's by Glasslife Atlanta. They performed a full paint correction and used CeramicPro brand coating. They applied 5 coats and 2 top coats. It looks great and has since they've done it. I use Adams Car Shampoo without any shine enhancers and Car Pro Reset every 6th wash. It has a 6 year warranty on it. It cost me $1800 out the door. On a black vehicle not to see any spiderwebs in full sun is worth the cost 10 times over. Ive had my boat, motorcycles and wife's vehicle done since then. 

• Like 1

i have seen some really good results on boats, but i dont have any first hand knowledge about coating cars

i want to get mine done while its new, but i detailed cars for a living when i was younger so i think ill just learn how to apply it myself. my 10 year old dark hull boat needs it and i dont have the time or energy to do it so that will come first to the tune of about $3500 im going to try the meguires and see how it goes. my truck only has 5000 miles so it doesnt need much correction clay bar, wax and polish. it will have to wait till after Mardi Gras

Edited by bhales

On 2/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, tbarn said:

Ceramic coating is indeed great. Stays cleaner, not clean. It still gets dirty. Adds a small amount of scratch protection. Usually looks great although a good carnuba wax will usually look better. It depends how much you want to spend. Can you wax a car you're self? Do you have a garage? Some of them are relatively easy to apply. A hundred bucks or so. Both of my vehicles are coated but I did them myself. The paint needs to be prepared properly though. At least strip washed and clayed. Even better polished. There are a lot of new products out there. Adams Polishes has a spray ceramic coating that you spray on a towel, wipe it on and wipe with another towel. Meguiar's  has a new ceramic spray also. And there are many more out there. It really comes down to money and how much effort you want to put into it.  The quick spray ceramic coatings will not last nearly as long as a professional job. But they should last 6 months to a year. Most ceramics also require an application periodically of another product to refresh it. This is an easy step though. Most estimates I hear are $800 to $1500 for coating without paint correction. Some will include a refresh. Usually on a schedule. I will re-apply mine when it's time. I like the stuff. but not at $1000+ . Ceramic based paste waxes also work well.

I can wax it myself but its hard to find the time on the weekends with my work schedule. I dont have a garage so that doesn't help being in Florida especially over the summer. I just got a quote for $400 with no paint correction and a polish. I'd prefer a pro do it at least the first time so it gets a solid base and a good clean

On 2/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, Denali34 said:

Ive had the ceramic coating applied to my vehicle's by Glasslife Atlanta. They performed a full paint correction and used CeramicPro brand coating. They applied 5 coats and 2 top coats. It looks great and has since they've done it. I use Adams Car Shampoo without any shine enhancers and Car Pro Reset every 6th wash. It has a 6 year warranty on it. It cost me $1800 out the door. On a black vehicle not to see any spiderwebs in full sun is worth the cost 10 times over. Ive had my boat, motorcycles and wife's vehicle done since then. 

nothing better than a clear black truck. Dads got a 15 Duramax that needs some correction 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, Denali34 said:

Dang, wish I lived closer.  I was quoted $2,750 for paint correction and ceramic coat to include the wheels.

2 hours ago, pavementprincess17 said:

I can wax it myself but its hard to find the time on the weekends with my work schedule. I dont have a garage so that doesn't help being in Florida especially over the summer. I just got a quote for $400 with no paint correction and a polish. I'd prefer a pro do it at least the first time so it gets a solid base and a good clean

Sounds like a coating is in order.