Jump to content
m3n00b

Sick of people flashing their high beams at me. Anyone else with 2016+ LTZ have this problem?

Recommended Posts

Haven't had this issue on my 15 yet... but I got it in my 04 with factory bulbs all the time. Then I swapped them out to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's... and got it even more. The lights in my 04 were by far the best I've had in any vehicle..

 

But I flash back, too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

at 25' you want it to drop a bit, especially in a truck.   Otherwise at best it's level and 41" is higher than most driver's eyes in cars.   Then your truck bounces, road rises and falls, beams will be too high almost all of the time.   I would try a 4" drop at 25 feet, see how you like that.   Takes 5 seconds per side to adjust with just a phillips head. 

Thanks!! I'll give it shot tomorrow morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, g2full said:

Haven't had this issue on my 15 yet... but I got it in my 04 with factory bulbs all the time. Then I swapped them out to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's... and got it even more. The lights in my 04 were by far the best I've had in any vehicle..

 

But I flash back, too

 

My 06 Silverado lights where fantastic compared to my 15 Sierra projectors. Now the fog lights on my 06 where super bright. I would get people flashing me all the time when they where on. They where all stock no LED's. When I first bought my 15 I drove it at night and I thought they where not working,after 9 years in my 06 lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 15 Z71 said:

My 06 Silverado lights where fantastic compared to my 15 Sierra projectors. Now the fog lights on my 06 where super bright. I would get people flashing me all the time when they where on. They where all stock no LED's. When I first bought my 15 I drove it at night and I thought they where not working,after 9 years in my 06 lol.

Agreed!

 

I think all around the fog lights in the OBS we're better. But, I run my fogs all the time when the headlights are on just because. I paid for em, might as well use em. But that doesn't mean the ones on the newer trucks aren't "designed" better for what fog lamps are actually supposed to do. But to me it seems like you see a whole lot more front end in the newer trucks to really notice the fogs on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely got a flash the other night, and then I came up on a lexus, I could see the person's eyes looking up at my grill in their rearview mirror, it was on a dark country road, was pretty funny lol, well down the road a bit  they flickered their lights ahead of them a couple times but I turned off not long after they did that so didn't give them the old flash.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SS502 said:

Good in theory but many people use a diode to jump the system allowing the fogs to be on with or without the highs...that and if the oncoming driver is being blinded, they probably cant even see the fogs or they don't care because they are being blinded by miss-aimed headlights even on low.

A very small percentage of people do that, a negligible amount. 

 

18 hours ago, Colossus said:

Nobody knows that.  Most people have no clue that unmodified vehicles will automatically shut those non-fog lights of when switching to high beams.  (those are not fog lights- they are additional driving lights, despite what your owners manual may say)

Here it seems to be common knowledge. I've never been flashed with the fog lights on. 

 

18 hours ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

i always have my fogs on at night, but most people are too damn stupid to realize it

 

Thats's when you flash them back! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Thats's when you flash them back! 

I do it with pleasure lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 6_2LTZ said:

A very small percentage of people do that, a negligible amount. 

 

Here it seems to be common knowledge. I've never been flashed with the fog lights on. 

 

 

Thats's when you flash them back! 

Okay, you're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Remember this is America where our automotive lighting laws are from the 1960s. Compared to Europe and other places our lighting requirements are from the Stone Age. 

Having owned a lot of Chevy trucks dating back to designs from the late 60s I personally believe the headlights were more of a warning to others that you were trundling along then to actually illuminate your path. I wouldn’t go back to sealed beams in any respect for any reason. 

 

 GM used to have to upgrade the headlights to reflectors + bulbs on the trucks they sold in Europe back in the 80s and early 90s to comply with European spec. European car makers never had to do that here. 

 

I love my 2011 Silverado but was extremely disappointed with the factory headlights. Keep in mind I work 12’s and 3-4 days a week drive to work in the dark 45 minutes and half the year drive home in the dark as well.  I upgraded the highbeams to a 9011 bulb and tried a myriad of higher light output bulbs for the H11’s. The 9011’s are great. Lots more useable light without any sort of HID flamethrower effect going on. 

The Silverstar ultra’s and some of the GE nighthawks were OK low beam upgrades but I was burning through them in under a year. Yes, I knew not to touch the bulbs. I just put a lot more mileage on in the dark Than most people do. Finally, last spring I followed some advice on the SilveradoSierra forums And spent $100 on some OPT7 LED Fluxbeam X H11 bulbs. These have a much higher light output but a perfect flat line where the light does not go above. LED headlight technology has evolved a lot from the stuff 10 years ago with diodes pointing in every direction blinding everyone. I love mine and while they are a whiter, brighter light they are not blinding. 

 

 I get flashed a couple times a week tops. I believe we live in a North American society where people have been conditioned to expect less than great performance from their headlights and also that any light brighter than the pathetic ones their vehicle emits is either someone with their highbeams on or some damn kid with those flamethrower HID headlights.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of the time the people flashing me are cars and they have dingy older yellow headlights.

I curse at people with HID bulbs blowing out massive amounts of light, off road light and LED bar lights turned on while on the road, misaligned headlights, and always-on-high beam riders as well. However, when someone comes up at me in a newer vehicle with modern, capable, fairly state of the art headlights systems I don’t get mad because their light output is better than mine (used to be).

 

I used to have a picture of my headlights on the wall of my garage showing a nice flat beam pattern. I think my toddler had her way with my phone and that picture along with some others is gone.  I’ll try to get one if anyone wants to see. 

8A96F3D8-A0CD-4159-BE48-7B6A27219206.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happened to me the first time immediately after driving off the dealership lot.

Yep.  Happens all the time.  At night I’m typically driving with a finger on the flasher knob to hit em back with a quickness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

 Remember this is America where our automotive lighting laws are from the 1960s. Compared to Europe and other places our lighting requirements are from the Stone Age. 

Having owned a lot of Chevy trucks dating back to designs from the late 60s I personally believe the headlights were more of a warning to others that you were trundling along then to actually illuminate your path. I wouldn’t go back to sealed beams in any respect for any reason. 

 

 GM used to have to upgrade the headlights to reflectors + bulbs on the trucks they sold in Europe back in the 80s and early 90s to comply with European spec. European car makers never had to do that here. 

 

I love my 2011 Silverado but was extremely disappointed with the factory headlights. Keep in mind I work 12’s and 3-4 days a week drive to work in the dark 45 minutes and half the year drive home in the dark as well.  I upgraded the highbeams to a 9011 bulb and tried a myriad of higher light output bulbs for the H11’s. The 9011’s are great. Lots more useable light without any sort of HID flamethrower effect going on. 

The Silverstar ultra’s and some of the GE nighthawks were OK low beam upgrades but I was burning through them in under a year. Yes, I knew not to touch the bulbs. I just put a lot more mileage on in the dark Than most people do. Finally, last spring I followed some advice on the SilveradoSierra forums And spent $100 on some OPT7 LED Fluxbeam X H11 bulbs. These have a much higher light output but a perfect flat line where the light does not go above. LED headlight technology has evolved a lot from the stuff 10 years ago with diodes pointing in every direction blinding everyone. I love mine and while they are a whiter, brighter light they are not blinding. 

 

 I get flashed a couple times a week tops. I believe we live in a North American society where people have been conditioned to expect less than great performance from their headlights and also that any light brighter than the pathetic ones their vehicle emits is either someone with their highbeams on or some damn kid with those flamethrower HID headlights.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of the time the people flashing me are cars and they have dingy older yellow headlights.

I curse at people with HID bulbs blowing out massive amounts of light, off road light and LED bar lights turned on while on the road, misaligned headlights, and always-on-high beam riders as well. However, when someone comes up at me in a newer vehicle with modern, capable, fairly state of the art headlights systems I don’t get mad because their light output is better than mine (used to be).

 

I used to have a picture of my headlights on the wall of my garage showing a nice flat beam pattern. I think my toddler had her way with my phone and that picture along with some others is gone.  I’ll try to get one if anyone wants to see. 

8A96F3D8-A0CD-4159-BE48-7B6A27219206.jpeg

Here is a shot of mine BEFORE the right one was changed. The line is clearly there, the right headlight adjuster gear was broken and was pointing as far down as the light would go. Once changed, they adjusted using the left one for reference. They felt comfortable doing this because the visit before they had it in their adjustment bay with lines painted on the wall. My driveway is slightly slanted downwards so the lights point higher in this pic than on the road. This is low beam.

87728517-0AE9-49BA-A450-BEA94DBA56AE.jpeg

Edited by SS502

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flashing them back only proves you have two modes.

If you are being flashed while in low beams, you are being told your low beams are aimed too high. It’s obvious your high beams will be too, so flashing back just proves what everyone already knew. :)

I know that with my 2018 (with LED projectors), off the lot, I got flashed some (not much); but even more, I noticed that my high beams were lighting way too high in the air and not getting down the road enough. I lowered both sides, and the result are I never get flashed, get more light 30-50 yards out in low beams, and have much better down the road throw on high beams.

So getting flashed might be a good indicator you are wasting light into the air where it does no good. 

It seems like the factory maybe bad at aiming headlights on these trucks? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprisingly I seem to be one of the few who like the old style lights. You never had a problem determining your high beams from lows. Even when someone was coming at you on an incline. If you’re alone can’t see turn on your highs problem solved. If someone coming at you both with lows on you can see. You could always slow down too. I never had a problem until these new lights came along. I dread driving at night on two lane roads going up a hill and the approaching vehicle thinks I have my highs on. Never had the problem with the old head lights. I generally have my highs on even if I don’t need them so when I approach a car they see me go to lows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem with my 2017 Sierra . My truck is stock. Its not all the time when it happens . I just flash them back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.