Anyone regret standard size bed vs short?

Nice Truck@Sean3565 and I like that look. My garage is plenty big enough, but standard bed and overall truck length is only 9.5” longer than short bed anyway. My 2019 short bed in photo right before I drove it off dealers lot a few days ago. 
8E1383DD-631B-49FC-9551-5F4C8023E355.thumb.png.7a7b5df4abb3b6c789036beda7096acc.png

Congrats, lots of those around.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

I say go with the "standard bed."  I DD a CCLB dually and it doesn't bother me.  Previously I had a 2500HD crew cab standard bed, I don't miss the smaller bed at all.  I don't think I'll ever have anything less than an eight footer again.  I've never owned a vehicle that comfortably fit in a garage anyway, even my '73 c10 reg cab eight footer took some effort of moving things around to fit in my garage.  Parking isn't an issue, I don't go down town and parallel parking isn't very common outside of the city.  I also park out in the boonies regardless of what I'm driving anyway because people suck and I need the exercise so the extra walk is good for me.  

• Like 3

I read through these postings & see some things in common, maybe it has to do with one's 'living arrangements.'  Common thing seems to be:

-limited garage space

-don't like to walk too far for parking

-worry about parking too close to something

I just recently lost my 2001 Chevy 3500 Extended Cab chasis dually 4X4 in Jan of this year, 185" wheel base, could put a 12' bed on it, but I added 2' more to the frame to go out to 14'.  After their insurance paid out, searched for nearly 2 months, could not find anything close to the same wheelbase.  Found a great deal on a 2016 GMC 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 LB rebuildable that I couldn't pass up.  Working on it now to get it driveable.  I may end up some day putting a flat bed on it.  I don't use if for work, just have some shows to take stuff to sell.  The 8' bed is barely enough.  I know that most people here would not have a use for such, but the short & regular beds just seem to make it a 'toy' truck, & that's fine if needed just for recreation, not putting it down.  I sometimes need to get some welding steel, pipes & such are 20' & would be cumbersome in a SB.  The 8' is still a little short for that.

Anyway, this is my first posting, had searched for a wiring diagram for speaker connections since I am upgrading the speakers in the 2016, found what I needed on this site, so decided to sign up.

• Like 1

I read through these postings & see some things in common, maybe it has to do with one's 'living arrangements.'  Common thing seems to be:
-limited garage space
-don't like to walk too far for parking
-worry about parking too close to something
I just recently lost my 2001 Chevy 3500 Extended Cab chasis dually 4X4 in Jan of this year, 185" wheel base, could put a 12' bed on it, but I added 2' more to the frame to go out to 14'.  After their insurance paid out, searched for nearly 2 months, could not find anything close to the same wheelbase.  Found a great deal on a 2016 GMC 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 LB rebuildable that I couldn't pass up.  Working on it now to get it driveable.  I may end up some day putting a flat bed on it.  I don't use if for work, just have some shows to take stuff to sell.  The 8' bed is barely enough.  I know that most people here would not have a use for such, but the short & regular beds just seem to make it a 'toy' truck, & that's fine if needed just for recreation, not putting it down.  I sometimes need to get some welding steel, pipes & such are 20' & would be cumbersome in a SB.  The 8' is still a little short for that.
Anyway, this is my first posting, had searched for a wiring diagram for speaker connections since I am upgrading the speakers in the 2016, found what I needed on this site, so decided to sign up.

It isn’t too hard to figure out why the bed size has shrunk. There being sold more as family haulers, even 3/4 tons are. The baby seats have gotten so big you almost need a fork lift to get them in anymore. The kids are in special seats till their 15 almost. So the cabs are bigger, you need to pull the room from somewhere. If you had the big cab and a 8 ft. bed you need two spaces at the mall, and they’d look hideous. It’s already amusing to go to crowded parking lots and watch p/u drivers navigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I like the look of the CC with a Standard bed but, it won't fit in my garage and I am a sales rep and I need to squeeze into some tight parking spaces at the customers I visit every day so it would be a drag to have the longer rig... Right now I have a DC with a Standard bed, I rarely need the full length of the bed, most of the time the stuff I am buying is 8' sheet goods anyways so it doesn't matter to me if the bed is 6'6'' or 5'8" I will need the tailgate down... On my next truck I am going to get a crew cab with the short bed... I am planning on picking up an open trailer in the next year or so because most of the big stuff I haul is really too much weight for a 1/2 ton pickup anyways, plus if a tow motor operator bumps into my trailer I won't give a crap but, if they do that to my truck that would suck..

• Like 1

I settled for a double cab because I wanted the standard bed and it was all but impossible to find in a crew cab 1500. My buddy has the 2500 crew cab standard bed and I barely notice a difference in everyday driving. My next truck will be that because while the rear seats aren't a limitation there are some difference that I think I would benefit from.

I think that the trucks with short beds defeat the whole purpose.

Unless you're really hauling mulch or similar on a somewhat regular basis, you're almost better of with a Suburban or Yukon.

The only advance of a truck versus a large SUV is that you can stack the load higher. For long items it makes more sense to have a SUV. They would even be more secure.

You guessed it right, I vote for the standard bed.

so long

j-ten-ner

36 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I think that the trucks with short beds defeat the whole purpose.

Unless you're really hauling mulch or similar on a somewhat regular basis, you're almost better of with a Suburban or Yukon.

The only advance of a truck versus a large SUV is that you can stack the load higher. For long items it makes more sense to have a SUV. They would even be more secure.

You guessed it right, I vote for the standard bed.

so long

j-ten-ner

You’re not wrong assuming money is a non-issue.  A suburban with the same options is going to cost substantially more than a CC short bed truck.  I think that’s why truck sales are exploding.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rjpoog1989 said:

You’re not wrong assuming money is a non-issue.  A suburban with the same options is going to cost substantially more than a CC short bed truck.  I think that’s why truck sales are exploding.  

You're right, I didn't think of that.

Since I have a boat, it made me thinking that it could be tricky to tow a trailer with the tail gate down because of items I want to take along.

A couple of bikes maybe or camping gear, you name it.

Ryan's pictures, a few posts back, speak for themselves.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

I was actually wanting a RWD double cab with the long bed, but couldn’t find any with the 6.2. I went with the long bed because I think the longer bed looks better proportioned, especially with the crew cab I got. And occasionally I actually use the longer bed.

TSquq69.jpg

This was like the third day after I got the truck. 

SY7jdJX.jpg

• Like 4

Well I bought it. 2017 STD box with 6.2l. Big step up coming from '10 Silverado CCSB LT

Fits in the garage just fine.
71318b23a0544367b25783003f6d2e11.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Beautiful truck, congrats! [emoji324][emoji323][emoji898][emoji322]

Sent from above
  • Like 1