No 6” ProComp lift reviews for 2014-2018 GM???

I’m shopping lifts for my 2015 Silverado Z71. Yes I know BDS is the best, and everyone loves Zone, and most people hate RC.... but what about Pro Comp?

4wheelparts suggested their 6” Pro Comp with new struts, upgraded shocks, improved ride quality etc (they own pro comp so I’m not surprised). Seems like a good price and 4wheelparts is a reputable installer with their own warranty on labor/workmanship, which is a nice piece of mind.

the kit looks good and I have yet to find aNy bad reviews about pro comp on the web...but that’s the problem.. I can’t find ANY reviews about 2014-2018 GM Pro Comp 6” lift.

here is a link to the kit I’m considering. Thanks in advance. I’m planning on running 35s

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-6-inch-lift-kit-with-pro-runner-shocks-k1171bps/_/R-DFCW-K1171BPS

ProComp is a good budget lift.  I had one on my F250 and it was great.  I to have never seen a review of one on a 14-18 GM.  Not sure why.  I say go for it.  Im sure someone whose never ran one will chime in and tell you its horrible. 

That's why RC gets so much hate.  People believe you have to spend a fortune on a lift for it to be any good and that's simply not true. 

Literally zero reviews. Makes me wonder, good or bad?

i can spend $1700 for upgraded front struts and rear shocks for 6” lift, or go with any number of kits with the strut spacer for less

shopping lift kits is overwhelming?

Thanks mikedeezxxx

ride quality is good? Close to factory?

think the upgraded struts are worth it? Could you please post a picture of your front suspension ??? That would be killer man! 

Thanks mikedeezxxx

ride quality is good? Close to factory?

think the upgraded struts are worth it? Could you please post a picture of your front suspension ??? That would be killer man! 

Ride quality is great. The front struts and rear shocks were a little stiff for me. I ended up swapping them out for adjustable King Coil overs up front and adjustable King Shocks w reservoirs in rear. Otherwise, no problems with pro comp at all. 4 Wheel Parts did the install. I can take pictures later. Cv axle angles are almost stock looking. No extreme angle. There are probably no reviews because nobody has had a bad experience with this kit. You’ll usually only find complaints when there is problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Ride quality is great. The front struts and rear shocks were a little stiff for me. I ended up swapping them out for adjustable King Coil overs up front and adjustable King Shocks w reservoirs in rear. Otherwise, no problems with pro comp at all. 4 Wheel Parts did the install. I can take pictures later. Cv axle angles are almost stock looking. No extreme angle. There are probably no reviews because nobody has had a bad experience with this kit. You’ll usually only find complaints when there is problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to help me out 

would love to see some pics of your truck as well, may help the decision making g process, wheels and tires and everything 

• 3 weeks later...

I have this on my truck. 2014 with 73k miles, has been on since new. Never had any issues with the lift and the truck still rides very smooth. I've taken it on many road trips as far as colorado (from dallas) as well and still rides nice and comfortable. It has factory front shocks too. What I like most and has been said above is all the angles are great with the lift, so it will help with wear on those parts.

Even though this has nothing to do with the lift, I HIGHLY recommend the nitto ridge grapplers for tire selection. These tires are amazing. They look tough but have almost no road noise. I had nitto trail grapplers before and it wasnt too bad with noise at first but I put about 10K miles on them and they got pretty loud. I sold them and got the ridge grapplers and I will never go back

Only thing is my transmission went out this week :(  cost of doing cool stuff to your truck I guess

• 4 months later...

I have had pro comp 6 inch lift on my 08 2500. Running 35 inch boggers.have literally beat the shit out of it off-road.have had zero problems..ride is great even with boggers daily.full install from 4wheel.good lift and tough

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a 14 Silverado 5.3 short box LT 4x4. Procomp 6”. The lift is solid. Never an issue. Only gripe is the sway bar link ends reused factory and had sharp angles. Other than that the lift was perfect. Powder coating held up for 150k miles before I traded. I pulled the spacers at 130k and replaced with RC Vertex front and rear res shocks. Stock ride was good but it rode like a tank. Rear shocks were horrible.  I replaced the factory front struts at about 70,000 miles and went with pro comp pre-runner struts and they were worse than factory. Then when I put the RC coil overs on the  ride was just as bad if not stiffer and I had the preload all the way as low as it can go and got the height that I needed by using a leveling spacer. 

Long story short the lift is solid, the shocks suck. 

Technically the same lift but I’ve noticed a couple of differences like on my 14 my CV axles were nearly straight but now on the 17 they are probably 15° down angle to the wheels and my upper control arms are perfectly straight. Looks to me like in the later models they changed the transfer case and front differential bracket and now there’s a lot more angle which doesn’t allow you to lift it a little bit higher if you want to add a level kit.  The wiggling passenger seat is gone though.... On the 2017 I have the Pro-comp front coil overs and I am extremely pleased with them in comparison to the RC Components coil overs. This truck feels far better than my 14 did.  There appear to have been some changes made to the Lift in general just in the way that it appears, they added brackets to add to your sway bar to try and adjust the link angles and there are a couple minor fabricating differences, but they don’t appear to make much difference in the stability of the lift. 

I will say that I had issues getting the suspension angles to not wear the front tires on the 14 left and it appears that the 17 lift is the same thing. I tried couple different alignment angles on the old truck to try and compensate  y running factory settings or running a zero camber or slightly negative camber and custom toe settings didn’t seem to help, the tire wear was exactly the same either way. Not sure if that’s a kit geometry issue or just a vehicle characteristic but it is a little frustrating at $500  Per tire. 

Hope this helps.  

I also have this lift, and I installed it myself.  

I am an experienced Mechanic with 20 years experience working in dealerships and custom shops. I have installed lift kits in the past, but mostly specialized in performance car modification.

I bought this kit from 4Wheel Parts in Glendale, AZ. This was for my 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Overall the parts that came in the kit were of good quality, The truck looks great. I was able to fit 35x12.5 R17 tires.

The installation instructions were confusing in many places, and needed more illustrations as the written direction were not very descriptive. In a couple places in the instructions it references parts that are not in the kit. (spacers for the Skid plate, and others) The way the kit addresses the ABS wires and the brake lines leave alot to be desired. For the price of the kit, and the reputation both ProComp and 4Wheel Parts have. I would have expected more time and effort to be put into this. As this is literally the most important part of the kit... Safety... The Front Brake line relocation instructs you to bend the banjo fitting on the softline, Uhh no, not gonna happen, it will fatigue and could cause brake failure. It was not necessary to gain any additional slack in the brake lines anyways. The front ABS wire bracket properly mounts the connector, but the abs wire after that is just ran through a clamp and bracket and is left to rub against the knuckle, Alot more thought should have gone into this... I am going to wrap the wires in loom to protect it. The rear brake relocation bracket and method was acceptable, but there was absolutely no solution for the abs wires. When the truck is lifted and the rear suspension is at full droop, you could play the abs wires like a guitar string. Nothing in the kit addresses this. A extension wire should have been supplied to extend the abs wires. This is a pretty serious oversight. If for any reason the rear were to become airborne the ABS wires will either rip or unplug themselves.

The instructions say to cut 9/16" off the inner and outer tie rods. After aligning the truck, I found that I had to bottom out the outer tierods pretty hard to get the correct toe. So cutting 7/8" off inners and outers should do the trick. Use a portable band saw for this, as it will cut nice and smooth, and not damage the threads.
Also I did not like the fact that in order to lower the front diff, I had to cut the the frame of the truck. Although this might be unavoidable, due to how chevy crammed that front diff in there. Just be aware that you will have to cut the frame

I chose to upgrade the kit with the ProRunner rear shocks and the add a leaf kit.

The front of the truck rides identical to stock, since all it did was relocate the lower control arms.

The rear of the truck rides alot harder. Not sure which is more the culprit, the prorunner shocks or the add a leaf. Once I put 400lbs in the bed it seems to smooths out a little bit.

This kit could be a 5 star if they could address the ABS lines, and the instructions...

• 1 year later...

Hello all. Just saw your question. So I recently bought a 2017 gmc Sierra at4 1500k 4x4. It came with a 6inch Pro comp lift kit installed already. It's a nice kit rides smooth turning is affected a little and with the 35s I have they do rub very lightly when making tight turns. I see one spot is towards the cab bottom inside fender well on 1 bolt head I will modify this later but it's nice kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 6" kit on my 2017 gmc sierra 1500. About 120k now still going strong , only trouble I'm having is front drive shaft.  Dealership installed a double cardan with the kit ,but I don't think they really needed too. Seems like it's a bit long and I don't think pro comp  sells them anymore , or anyone for a 2017