are you guys happy with the Range AFM disabler? I was not

are you guys happy with the Range AFM disabler?  I was not.

i tried it for 2 days and it caused my 2018 5.3 to down shift hard when slowing down and driving around town this drove me crazy

would clunk hard on every down shift , as soon as i unplugged the Range device went back to butter smooth shifting.

so i contacted Range and they told me it's known that some trucks have this problem and they would not offer me a return label, I paid $12 to shipped back 

insured and it seems they are dragggin arse on refunding my paypal

anyone else have any problems with this

Drive it in L7 (or L6), which disables AFM, and see if it still does it. If it does, then it's the Range. If not, then it wasn't the range. 

• Like 1

But but AFM is the worst thing ever and everyone will have failed lifters by 50k miles and you will not save any gas in V4 mode because range is the best thing ever even if there are some driving characteristic changes and your battery dies it is worth it! 

Tyler

• Haha 3

I think it may be an 8-speed trans thing. I have the 8-speed on mine. After your post I tested it and retested, etc. ayes it does downshift hard when coming to a stop. Not all of the time but it does occasionally and is noticeable. Again, not enough for me to send it back. Probably just making the crappy shift of an 8-speed more noticeable. 

I have recently purchased a Range AFM disabler for my 2017 Silverado 1500 E-assist because of the constant stopping and starting at stop lights, exhaust drone from V4, weird shifting from V4 to V8 and my transmission liking to jerk/shifting hard every so often.

After installing the Range device, it has solved my transmission issues, disabled stopping and starting at stop lights, and has been keeping it in V8 mode 24/7! The only thing I have noticed is that when I am decelerating slowly (not touching brake pedal) from a speed of around 50 MPH or more, the engine will have a fast repetitive backfiring popping sound until i either get back on the gas pedal or have reached a speed of 35 MPH.

Other than that problem, I really like the product from Range Technologies.

• 4 months later...

I think the failed lifters are caused by  other issues with the driving technique,  I love the AFM v4 mode,  i have 6 speed and get wonderful car like mpg for a 5500lbs truck. i'm at 30k miles so i'll see.

I always drive in M5 in city traffic, then switch over to M6 or D out on the highway.  I find if you leave it in D and in stop and go traffic, and you stomp the pedal in V4  rev the motor into v8 mode, this is probably where the lifter damage occurs, engine has to quickly pump the DOD lifters up  while under a heavy load.  try being easier on the DoD cylinders to minimize failure.  

On 5/3/2019 at 9:45 AM, amxguy1970 said:

But but AFM is the worst thing ever and everyone will have failed lifters by 50k miles and you will not save any gas in V4 mode because range is the best thing ever even if there are some driving characteristic changes and your battery dies it is worth it! 

Tyler

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

I drive with mine on because gas is expensive these days! Retesting it vs L7 mode to see if it actually gets me better mileage for the type of driving  i typically do. 

i'm PRETTY SURE it's not 100 percent failure by 50,000 miles as someone posted before.

• 1 year later...

I just received my Range AFM delete and on my 2018 Sierra w/5.3 engine it would slam hard shift from2-1 when slowing to stop..I had to delete the delete device.I contacted Range and they could not figure out why but know of the problem.I think the Range device somehow messes with the transmission programming in some way,but Range says no.The device kept my vehicle in 8 cyl mode but the downshifting was horrible..No good for me..

• 3 months later...