Hey folks I have been away from Chevy for a few years but am back with a 2018 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 with I think a 3.42 rear end. My question is towing a single axle motorcycle trailer that weighs about 2800 lbs. with bike I am getting 13.7 mpg. Is this normal or poor mileage, I really didn't think it would drop from my avg. of 19.6 that much. 

Thanks Bob

Sounds about right. Driving habits and weather/ambient temps, A/C usage all are variables with mpg.

I got 15-17 towing an empty 1,500lb trailer and like 11ish towing 5,500lbs.

It's not always about weight itself, it's the extra drag the trailer will have and the more fuel it will use to maintain the speed or get to speed. In the end it can add up to more than you think.

Use tow/haul mode and slow down.  I pull a travel trailer with my V6 and find that if I adjust my driving habits when towing (less aggressive) my mpg's improve considerably.

Yea it really does depend on your driving habits. Why not just get a ramp and stick the motorcycle in the bed?

What kinda motorcycle and single axle trailer weights 2800lbs? Unless multiple motorcycles I guess

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if I have a say in this but, I have a 2019 Silverado 1500LD with a 3.42 rear end. I pulled 7000 pounds from Cal State Los Angeles to East Tucson, AZ. I filled up in Cudahy, CA then drove to Cal State. I arrived to Tucson with a 1/8 tank and I have a 24 gallon tank. I averaged 62MPH. Did I do something different.

Hitch anything out back and mileage plummets.  On my '17 doing 70, my empty 700 lb flat-trailer with wire-mesh hinged flip-down ramp dropped mileage from 20 mpg to 14.  The return trip with 3-4k lbs of white oak gave me the same 14 mpg.  Unhitched, and I was back to 20.  The drag, even with a mesh, is the huge culprit... trying to swing a tennis racket through a pool...

Edited by dukedkt442

6.2L 1500 on a round trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. Trip down without trailer, trip home towing 3200lbs Subaru on a 2500lbs car hauler. About 4mpg diff. 00b4ee82f42c85bd08941bfeb29edfc5.jpge3198f5848f78e6509cda32a134084c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk