Will my MPG hurt if I install Exhaust?

I have 2019 Silverado 1500LD stock to the bone. If install a cat back exhaust just a simple street 40 series flowmaster or a super10 flowmaster. Will it hurt my MPG? IF so do yall know by how much? I've never owned a truck I've only owned Camaros and Corvettes so this Pickup Ownership is new to me. 

Too many factors. Depends on the system you choose and how efficient it is ( most are not that much better than stock).  You size it properly. Keep or remove flapper valve and or resonator. Have an intake or not - how good of intake? They are not created equal. 

You put your foot in it more cause you like the sound? Have a tuner or have it tuned or not. Answer all those questions and we can give you an estimate. If you use all good parts that work together and drive it like you have an egg under your foot you may gain 1~2 mpg. 

Buy a junk muffler or system that is inefficient and put your foot in it a lot you will loose mileage. Driving habits influence mileage more than an exhaust change.

• Like 1

Just now, CombsL83 said:

If you only drive Camaros, Corvettes and now a truck why on earth do you care about mpg’s?

Because I run a business now and I tow a lot the reason why I want an exhaust is because I want to hear the engine not better going up and downhills. And if I lose 3 to 5 MPG in the long run my fuel expenses do catch up. I usually drive the truck at 55MPH  towing or 65MPH with 1700lbs in the bed. I build speed gradually not jerk the start because I am trying to keep my truck for at least 200k miles.

1 minute ago, Big Whiskey said:

As a general rule, you won't lose any MPG with a reasonable cat back or muffler swap. However, most people love the sound so much that they notice a drop in MPG because their driving habits change. 

So if I dont change my driving style and I just keep driving how I drive now I'll be fine? Like I said I do mostly highway and drive no faster than 65MPH loaded or empty I always drive that speed.

You’re mileage will be the same maybe a little better. I’ve always ran exhaust on V-8s cars and trucks. Now if you’re hammering on it more it could drop, that’s not the exhausts fault. Most of my driving was highway. Even if I hammered it a little more getting up to speed the better exhaust flow would make up for it over the miles driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you dont have a heavy foot because now you are influenced by the noise.....but in reality it should improve... I have had a decent improvement once I installed my borla S-type.....stock exhausts are somewhat restrictive....aftermarket exhaust let's it breathe more....people wont agree but that is my opinion based what I know and have experienced 

11 hours ago, bmartinez2086 said:

So if I dont change my driving style and I just keep driving how I drive now I'll be fine? Like I said I do mostly highway and drive no faster than 65MPH loaded or empty I always drive that speed.

Yes, you'll be fine. 

8 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

They say there is no such thing as a dumb question.  I beg to differ

What cant a person ask a question without getting judged? I just want to make sure I am right about what I already know. Apparently I am wrong because I always thought a exhaust decreases your MPG. My Camaro I do Autocross in has a X pipe Borla exhaust system and at the tank seems like I get more power but my MPG hurts. Use only use 2 tanks per race. Now I use 2 1/2 to 3 tanks.

23 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

Installing those mufflers will hurt your ears and your head more than your MPG. 

I just need more engine noise I am use to Camaros and Corvettes. I was a truck driver so I am use to the noise. I need the noise back so i know if i am straining the engine going up and down.