Will my MPG hurt if I install Exhaust?

That’s a good question but one that will draw out criticism from some of the forum trolls. To be honest, when considering an exhaust I’ve never thought about mpg’s just the sound quality and only if it would add HP. GM has a cat back system they claim adds at least 10HP more, give it a look and being that you’ve got a new 19 I’d definitely ask your dealership these same questions and save yourself some time by communicating with other 19 model owners with that same experience you’re asking for. Good luck!

Sent from above

51 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s a good question but one that will draw out criticism from some of the forum trolls. To be honest, when considering an exhaust I’ve never thought about mpg’s just the sound quality and only if it would add HP. GM has a cat back system they claim adds at least 10HP more, give it a look and being that you’ve got a new 19 I’d definitely ask your dealership these same questions and save yourself some time by communicating with other 19 model owners with that same experience you’re asking for. Good luck!

Sent from above

Yeah the only problem with my 19 is that it's a legacy model. Meaning 18 bodystyle with bits and parts of both 19 and 18 trucks. The exhaust GM has I've asked and called GM and they said it's not made for my truck. True when getting an exhaust no one thinks about the MPG just how good it sounds. But I am just doing it to get a bit more engine noise for towing purposes.

Yeah the only problem with my 19 is that it's a legacy model. Meaning 18 bodystyle with bits and parts of both 19 and 18 trucks. The exhaust GM has I've asked and called GM and they said it's not made for my truck. True when getting an exhaust no one thinks about the MPG just how good it sounds. But I am just doing it to get a bit more engine noise for towing purposes.

If it’s the 18 5.3 then you should be able to use the one designed for it. There’s also exhaust systems ready for the new body style and engines as well, call BORLA and chat with them about it, they’ve got great products and customer service too.

Sent from above

17 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

If it’s the 18 5.3 then you should be able to use the one designed for it. There’s also exhaust systems ready for the new body style and engines as well, call BORLA and chat with them about it, they’ve got great products and customer service too.

Sent from above

I will call them on the morning then thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

I put a Borla S Type catback exhaust system on my 2018 5.3 Crew cab and after around 3000 miles my gas mileage has gone up 1.3 mpg . I keep my foot out of the firewall though.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

I had the stock system on my 14, drove it for 25 - 35k miles. Installed a Gibson cat back system and drove it for about the same amount of miles. Gas mileage stayed roughly the same since my driving habits don't change much. Lost torque though. Then I changed the intermediate pipe size from the Gibson 3 in back to the stock 2.75 inch and left the Gibson system on. Gained the noticeable torque back and the MPG stayed the roughly the same. Installed the stock system back on, did the muffler delete trick. So now I have the sound I like, the torque and the roughly the same mpg minus the dual tail pipes. My 14 had just over 95k on it now. So I would same your money and just do the muffler delete. Just my opinion though.  

On 12/06/2019 at 2:27 PM, bmartinez2086 said:

Yeah I just need more engine noise not for pleasure but for when I'm going up steep grades fully loaded I like to control my gears my self so I like to hear the engine so I have an idea if I need to downshift or upshift i dont want to blow up the engine up know.

I thought these trucks still had tachometers...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I thought these trucks still had tachometers...

They do but I've have come across where even at 2800 to 3400 RPMS the engine sounded like it still needed to downshift again but the tow haul mod wouldn't let it drop another gear. So I like to go more based of engine noise instead of the tac.

1 hour ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Your not going to blow anything up a 3400 rpms.  It's not even working that hard

I know I will not blow anything up put going up hill I am losing speed at that RPM and usually when I go up grapevine with 9100lbs I need to be within 4600 to 5600RPM

Just remember the motor is designed to have back pressure and if you remove something that affects that, it'll mess up the stock tune. Think of a 2 stroke with an expansion chamber--you change the chamber size, it affects the power and you have to tune it accordingly. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2019 at 8:13 AM, dieselfan1 said:

I put a Borla S Type catback exhaust system on my 2018 5.3 Crew cab and after around 3000 miles my gas mileage has gone up 1.3 mpg . I keep my foot out of the firewall though.

Well after almost 7000 miles the mpg's are still around the same.

I reset the trip meter A when I installed the Borla.

Trip meter B is from day 1.

I know the DIC isn't 100% accurate but obviously you can see the difference.

IMG_20190816_173855.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

I think the exhaust is probably good for 1mpg at best and the rest is due to being more broke in.

What do you guys think?

I should say that I added the Range a week after I installed the exhaust also.

IMG_20190816_173840.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1