Confirming the build - Towing

Hey All,

New to the forum.  Few questions.  There is a truck I am interested in and unfortunately I cannot rely on the sales person.  Here are the build details from the sticker.  What I am curious about is, is this trailering package also known as the "Max Towing Package" ?  Reason I ask is the hitch is a GM V-5 which is rated at 12,000/1,200.  The owners manual also says the following...

1500 4x4 crew cab short bed

5.3L V8 - 3.42 - MTW 9,100 - GCWR 15,000

5.3L V8 with 8-speed Auto and Enhanced Towing package - 3.42 - MTW 10,700 - GCWR 16,700

5.3L V8 - 3.73 - MTW 10,700 - GCWR 16,700

What I am ultimately trying to do is figure out what this truck will ultimately haul and what its max towing capacity will be.  I cannot tell by the build.  So I would appreciate any insight/info.  The manual says a few things, the door jam says another, and I want to be sure.

Build details

2018 - 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - Z71 - short bed

All star package

18" P265/65R18 all­terrain, blackwall tires

3.42 rear axle ratio (But not sure if this one has 3.73 due to the trailering package.

Trailer brake controller, integrated
Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing

6­speed automatic transmission
LT Plus Package

Trailering Package
Trailering hitch platform and 2.0" receiver
4­pin connector
7­wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7­way sealed connector to hook up parking lamps, backup lamps, right and left turn signals, an electric brake lead, battery and a ground
Automatic locking rear differential
Z71 Appearance Package

Safety­Mechanical
StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system
Automatically helps enhance control, particularly during emergency maneuvers, by adjusting the brakes and engine torque to keep you on your intended path
With Rollover Mitigation
Activates when vehicle sensors detect a difference between the driver's intended path and the direction the vehicle is actually travelling Includes Trailer Sway Control
Hill start assist

Z71® Off­Road Package
46mm high­pressure gas­charged shocks
A 36mm front stabilizer bar
Off­road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs
Under body transfer case shield
High­capacity air cleaner
Z71 badge and decals
Unique gauge cluster, lower bumper appearance, interior trim plates and grill design Brushed metal Z71 door sill plate
Hill descent control
Trailering Package and locking differential on LT models

Edited by edif30

21 minutes ago, edif30 said:

Hey All,

New to the forum.  Few questions.  There is a truck I am interested in and unfortunately I cannot rely on the sales person.  Here are the build details from the sticker.  What I am curious about is, is this trailering package also known as the "Max Towing Package" ?  Reason I ask is the hitch is a GM V-5 which is rated at 12,000/1,200.  The owners manual also says the following...

1500 4x4 crew cab short bed

5.3L V8 - 3.42 - MTW 9,100 - GCWR 15,000

5.3L V8 with 8-speed Auto and Enhanced Towing package - 3.42 - MTW 10,700 - GCWR 16,700

5.3L V8 - 3.73 - MTW 10,700 - GCWR 16,700

What I am ultimately trying to do is figure out what this truck will ultimately haul and what its max towing capacity will be.  I cannot tell by the build.  So I would appreciate any insight/info.  The manual says a few things, the door jam says another, and I want to be sure.

Build details

2018 - 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - Z71 - short bed

All star package

18" P265/65R18 all­terrain, blackwall tires

3.42 rear axle ratio (But not sure if this one has 3.73 due to the trailering package.

Trailer brake controller, integrated
Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing

6­speed automatic transmission
LT Plus Package

Trailering Package
Trailering hitch platform and 2.0" receiver
4­pin connector
7­wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7­way sealed connector to hook up parking lamps, backup lamps, right and left turn signals, an electric brake lead, battery and a ground
Automatic locking rear differential
Z71 Appearance Package

Safety­Mechanical
StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system
Automatically helps enhance control, particularly during emergency maneuvers, by adjusting the brakes and engine torque to keep you on your intended path
With Rollover Mitigation
Activates when vehicle sensors detect a difference between the driver's intended path and the direction the vehicle is actually travelling Includes Trailer Sway Control
Hill start assist

Z71® Off­Road Package
46mm high­pressure gas­charged shocks
A 36mm front stabilizer bar
Off­road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs
Under body transfer case shield
High­capacity air cleaner
Z71 badge and decals
Unique gauge cluster, lower bumper appearance, interior trim plates and grill design Brushed metal Z71 door sill plate
Hill descent control
Trailering Package and locking differential on LT models

Send the VIN to GM, they will send over the build sheet with the RPO codes out of the factory.  You can call or email GMs customer support.

Spend the extra money and get a 2500 if trailering is a big deal for you. All problems solved 

Engine
VORTEC 6.0L VARIABLE VALVE TIMING V8 SFI, E85-COMPATIBLE, FLEXFUEL (Standard)
6.0L V8 SFI GASEOUS CNG/LPG CAPABLE
DURAMAX 6.6L TURBO-DIESEL V8, B20-DIESEL COMPATIBLE
Horsepower
360 @ 5400 RPM

445 @ 2800 RPM
Torque
380 @ 4200 RPM

910 @ 1600 RPM
Max Towing Capacity
13,000 lbs
Drivetrain
Four Wheel Drive
Transmission
6-Speed Automatic, Heavy-Duty, Electronically Controlled (Standard)
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic, Electronically Controlled
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx
36.0 gal
EPA Fuel Economy Est (MPG)
MPG estimates not available
SAFETY RATINGS

It sounds like you have the same thing as me with the All-Star package Z71 and 3.42 gears. That is enhanced trailering package, NOT MAX TOW.

Get your build sheet from dealer and look for the axle ratio code. GU6 is 3.42. 

If you were to have different gearing, look for another code that starts with G.

15 minutes ago, Windmill Greaser said:

Spend the extra money and get a 2500 if trailering is a big deal for you. All problems solved 

Engine
VORTEC 6.0L VARIABLE VALVE TIMING V8 SFI, E85-COMPATIBLE, FLEXFUEL (Standard)
6.0L V8 SFI GASEOUS CNG/LPG CAPABLE
DURAMAX 6.6L TURBO-DIESEL V8, B20-DIESEL COMPATIBLE
Horsepower
360 @ 5400 RPM

445 @ 2800 RPM
Torque
380 @ 4200 RPM

910 @ 1600 RPM
Max Towing Capacity
13,000 lbs
Drivetrain
Four Wheel Drive
Transmission
6-Speed Automatic, Heavy-Duty, Electronically Controlled (Standard)
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic, Electronically Controlled
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx
36.0 gal
EPA Fuel Economy Est (MPG)
SAFETY RATINGS

It's not a huge deal so I'm more interested in this truck and it's full capacity.  I want to be smart, not dumb and think I can haul anything with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aseibel said:

It sounds like you have the same thing as me with the All-Star package Z71 and 3.42 gears. That is enhanced trailering package, NOT MAX TOW.

Get your build sheet from dealer and look for the axle ratio code. GU6 is 3.42. 

If you were to have different gearing, look for another code that starts with G.

Yes it looks from the build sheet I just got from the dealer that it is only the enhanced.  Which is fine.  It does in fact have the GU6.  Appreciate the help here!

• Like 2