My trucks going in for open heart surgery in a month. DOD delete, tsp stage 2 L83/5.3 cam in my L86/6.2. I eventually would love to put a blower on it. I drive the truck frequently and don’t want to do too big of a cam where I’ll have to change my torque converter. Will I get away with a L83 stage 3 cam with my stock converter or should I stick to the stage 2. Specs are 5.3L Stage 2 Camshaft w/ +32% Fuel Lobe: 218/226, 635", 113 LSA, 109 ICL

All my mods will be intake, portable TB, (hopefully have my heads ported when it goes in for dod delete and cam) LT4 injectors, 1-7/8 long tube hears, off-road y-pipe. I’ll have a 3.5” electric cut out followed by stock exhaust for now. 

Trucks reverse level and blocks removed. 22x12 -51 285/35r22 no trimming or cutting

FCA6F083-AED4-4FEC-8C7A-5BC8CEC3B7C2.jpeg

That's kinda on the edge for size, likely would be okay.

The 218/226 would be large for a 5.3 in my opinion on a stock converter, usually a 212/218 is about the biggest people go on a stock converter. The added cubic inches of the 6.2 should make it alright.

You also have an 8 speed so the drop in rpm between shifts is less than the 6 speed, so it helps to stay higher in the rpm.

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The 218/226 would be large for a 5.3 in my opinion on a stock converter, usually a 212/218 is about the biggest people go on a stock converter. The added cubic inches of the 6.2 should make it alright.

You also have an 8 speed so the drop in rpm between shifts is less than the 6 speed, so it helps to stay higher in the rpm.

I ended up changing it up for the vvt-2 231/235 .645/.635 116 LSA +32% fuel lobe. I can’t justify doing that much work and end up regretting it by not being aggressive enough. With the stock converter I’ve been hearing it’s less noticeable with it wanting to push through the breaks/stall on the 8-speed trans. 

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I ended up changing it up for the vvt-2 231/235 .645/.635 116 LSA +32% fuel lobe. I can’t justify doing that much work and end up regretting it by not being aggressive enough. With the stock converter I’ve been hearing it’s less noticeable with it wanting to push through the breaks/stall on the 8-speed trans. 

It's not that it will push through or stall but it's going to have nothing down low. The idea of the higher stall converter is to like a light switch snap the rpm in the correct range for that camshaft as well as not allowing the rpms to fall a lot during gear changes.

That's a big camshaft for a stock stall and I'd suggest getting a new converter.

• Thanks 1