Wrecked my truck 16 Silverado

Do you think it will be totaled?

Everyone is okay, my wife was driving with my 3 kids. They're all shook up and a little sore but not a single scratch on anyone. Side air bag curtains deployed.

The other driver was driving an Equinox and he's okay as well.

1564877849894.jpg

I recently got rear-ended, first glance says the frame is ok, they haven't taken it apart yet to accurately determine that. 

That said, I was told they will not repair the frame, they will replace it to the tune of $9,000.  So if there is any damage to the frame, you can start your estimate there.

Edited by Darmichar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robinson99 said:

Do you think it will be totaled?

Everyone is okay, my wife was driving with my 3 kids. They're all shook up and a little sore but not a single scratch on anyone. Side air bag curtains deployed.

The other driver was driving an Equinox and he's okay as well.

1564877849894.jpg

Depends on the laws of your state.  In Alabama, the vehicle will be totaled if the repairs cost more than 75% of the vehicles value.  In this case, even if the frame is bent, you should be good.  Will just be without your ride for a week or likely two weeks.

This was a horrible experience for your family.  Hopefully the truck doesn't add financial stress.  The key advantage to being totalled is re-sale.  A diminished value settlement and a full repair from a reputable shop is an acceptable alternative.  

Sorry to hear about your misfortune;  glad to hear your family is ok.  You can always replace the truck, looked very nice by the way..  Like the op said, repaired vehicles are never the same, at least in my experience.  Hope everything works out for you....

17 hours ago, MY164X4 said:

Get a new Truck.
Never ride the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is not at all true. Having seen the body shop process over the years and knowing good friends that work in them that is 100% false unless you just go with a crappy shop which many are not. With how robotic vehicles are assembled sometimes having them put together by an excellent tech that is good at and enjoys their work can be put together better than factory. Ditto with paint. I promise you would have no idea by driving a vehicle if it was wrecked in most cases. 

Never understood that mindset, picking up a new or extending a car payment for having an accident is a horrible financial choice. Depending on fault and location you can pick up a diminished value check, make some changes or upgrades to your ride while it is being repaired (bumper upgrades, pant items, etc) and maybe even pocket a little money while getting back a truck in as good as shape or better than before. Not to mention getting to save some mileage on it for the time it is being repaired and using a rental. Take that cross country road trip in the rental and save wear and tear on your vehicle. Or go ahead and trade it in fresh off a wreck on its history report and see how much of a hit that takes in value rather than wait a few years when percentage wise it would be less of an impact...

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. I will keep you updated when I find out what their going to do. I'm hoping to hear something pretty quick, but who knows. I just paid the truck off back in March and my plan was to keep the truck as long as it runs. I don't normally buy new vehicles so my plan was to keep this one for a long time. Hopefully if it's repaired it will be as good as new, but in the back of my mind I'll always wonder if something  goes wrong will it be due to the accident. I've been really happy with the truck, I'm hoping to get it back soon. I already miss it.

First and foremost.....  thankfully you are all ok.

From the pic it does not look like there was enough impact to bend your frame.

The front to back door cab pillar also does not look pushed in. Potential damage there will no doubt decide your trucks fate.

Agree with above. Air bags out= totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if a airbag deploy it doesn't mean the vehicle totaled ?

I asked because I purchase a car where the bag deploy but the vehicle was repaired and still had manufactured Warranty.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MY164X4 said:

So if a airbag deploy it doesn't mean the vehicle totaled ?

I asked because I purchase a car where the bag deploy but the vehicle was repaired and still had manufactured Warranty.

It doesn't mean an automatic write off, sometime they deploy in minor bumps or 'love taps', but with curtain bags you basically need to replace the seats, headliner, interior trim around the side impact air bags, you will also pay big dollars to have airbags replaced. There is likely B-pillar damage too looking at the photos, 2 painted doors, rocker, running board, $10k+ in parts alone. Structural safety will usually run a few grand with no frame or structure work done. Once the cab structure is compromised, they usually will write it off. Say insurance thinks someone will pay $20-25k for it at auction, they will likely offer OP around $30k or whatever FMV is because it will cost them $18,000+ at a body shop to put it back together. Once the cab or frame structure has been tweaked, its typically cheaper for the insurance company to write it off and get back what they can in auction. You get all the salvage-suckers paying top dollar for crashed trucks these days with all the Youtuber Salvage channels doing repair tutorials now. I refuse to go to insurance auctions anymore because people pay way too much. The biggest loser is almost always the vehicle owner, often they like to low-ball you especially if it was your fault. 

• Sad 1