GM Rear Sliding Window Recall

Does this eliminate the defrost on the mirrors as well?

No that's a separate fuse.

#10 rear window defroster

#36 heated mirrors

Panel under the hood.

Better double check with the diagram though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Greetings from Alaska...

Has there been any fresh info on this? 

I have gotten hit with it this week. No window explosion but I did get some smoke and crackling.

I pulled the fuse and gonna have the dealer diagnose it. I hope they cover this cost because up here I am looking at almost a grand out of pocket.

Cheers.

Edited by geauxchamp
grammar

Greetings from Alaska...
Has there been any fresh info on this? 
I have gotten hit with it this week. No window explosion but I did get some smoke and crackling.
I pulled the fuse and gonna have the dealer diagnose it. I hope they cover this cost because up here I am looking at almost a grand out of pocket.
Cheers.
The recall is still active. Take it to a dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, 2014 Silverado double cab with power rear window and defrost...last week, coldest it's been here (Cincinnati) in a year or two, rear window started smoking and shattered during remote start.  Still no recall in the US so we're on the hook for this bill.

I had this happen this morning on my 2015 1500 LTZ

Remote started the truck, went out 5 minutes later to smoke pouring off of the drivers side back back window and a glowing on the defroster.  Inside of the cab was filled with smoke and the window shattered. Of course being a Sunday the dealership is closed. I’ll be in the phone first thing tomorrow morning 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Barnes said:

I had this happen this morning on my 2015 1500 LTZ

Remote started the truck, went out 5 minutes later to smoke pouring off of the drivers side back back window and a glowing on the defroster.  Inside of the cab was filled with smoke and the window shattered. Of course being a Sunday the dealership is closed. I’ll be in the phone first thing tomorrow morning 

Do you have any updates on your truck?

Mine is at the dealer now...this is the response:

"We did get the truck in with a technician an he is recommending replacement of the rear defrost. Your truck was not part of the original recall for the rear window thermal event, the parts and labor to replace the glass would be roughly $1685.00".

I replied that I feel I should not have to pay anything for something that is obviously a manufacture defect and with a very high risk of fire. He then mentioned that he can a cost assistance where I would have to pay a deductible and GM will cover the rest. I mean, if you agree to cover some of it, you are admitting a defect so why not cover all of it? $1685 is high but I quoted Safelite and it was about $800. None of this gives me a warm and fuzzy. Depending on how this goes, I may or may not purchase another GM vehicle...and I am about to make a purchase to update my wife's Buick Enclave.

Edited by geauxchamp
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I am in Canada so the recall was done on my 2015 Sierra in early 2020 however this morning on my way to work (out side temps of 0c and no high winds, snow or rain) my driver side rear window shattered while sitting at a red light with the rear defrost on, didn't smell anything or notice any smoke just heard what sounded like a gun shot and then notice the window was shattered. Currently arguing with GM Canada that it is from the same issue and that their "fix" didn't work. Anyone else have the recall done or at least the service done and still have the window shatter? 

5 hours ago, RSabourin said:

I am in Canada so the recall was done on my 2015 Sierra in early 2020 however this morning on my way to work (out side temps of 0c and no high winds, snow or rain) my driver side rear window shattered while sitting at a red light with the rear defrost on, didn't smell anything or notice any smoke just heard what sounded like a gun shot and then notice the window was shattered. Currently arguing with GM Canada that it is from the same issue and that their "fix" didn't work. Anyone else have the recall done or at least the service done and still have the window shatter? 

They didn't do the recall fix correctly. That's obvious. 

Tell them to quit playing dumb.

• 10 months later...