Traded in my 19 and got 20. My thoughts.

Man this is frustrating. have 100 miles on my new Denali, 30 mile test drive was great. Had it home for a day and running all kinds of errands for thanksgiving and man, this 8 speed SUCKS. Thought most of the previous problems were fixed with this one. I’ll give it a few thousand miles and if it doesn’t get better it’s going straight to the RAM dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does it suck so bad? I have zero issues with how mine shifts

Short shifts into second gear and when I am decelerating I can feel the torque converter lock up going from 25mph down going from second gear to first. Feels like a rumble strip until the truck gets to first gear. My truck has the new fluid in it (built after the date) so not sure what is going on.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, Moend said:

According to the dealership yes. And the clunk does not sounds like a drive terrain nosie. If I have to guess I would say suspensions or dashboard. Have not seen another member on here with similar problem. But maybe I am too sensitive (didn't hear them in my previous truck tho)

I had a clunk in my older z71 that no dealer could figure out,. Turned out it had defective body mount on right front. might be worth checking out

Edited by DaveHC
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotrodz37 said:

Man this is frustrating. have 100 miles on my new Denali, 30 mile test drive was great. Had it home for a day and running all kinds of errands for thanksgiving and man, this 8 speed SUCKS. Thought most of the previous problems were fixed with this one. I’ll give it a few thousand miles and if it doesn’t get better it’s going straight to the RAM dealership.

Don’t be too hasty. It will continue to have some harsh shifts as you break it in, but drive it like it’s your 5 year old truck, not a new one. My 8spd did the same thing but smoothed out wonderfully after 4K miles. 

• Like 1

Don’t be too hasty. It will continue to have some harsh shifts as you break it in, but drive it like it’s your 5 year old truck, not a new one. My 8spd did the same thing but smoothed out wonderfully after 4K miles. 

That’s awesome to hear, thanks for the vote of confidence! Did yours have the rumbling feeling on decel when switching from 2nd to 1st gear? That’s the one I’m concerned about?

Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

That’s awesome to hear, thanks for the vote of confidence! Did yours have the rumbling feeling on decel when switching from 2nd to 1st gear? That’s the one I’m concerned about?

Thanks again!

It might have, but I don’t remember that. Some other guys have reported that feeling, but at higher speeds. 

Man, my 8 speed is as smooth as silk. 

Very rarely like, early in the morning sometimes, she will clunk just a little from 2nd to 1st.  That's just rarely, because I usually dont have to slow down once I take off.

Doesn't bother me at all though.

Edited by MacLaren

1 hour ago, DaveHC said:

I had a clunk in my older z71 that no dealer could figure out,. Turned out it had defective body mount on right front. might be worth checking out

Thank you for the info. How did you end up fixing it? 

Edited by Moend

Mine clunked 2-3 times when I first got it, usually first thing in the cold mornings.  But now it is smooth as silk as well.  I find if I remote start in the morning for a few minutes it is enough for a clunkless morning. Just a habit now to do it as we are getting 0-5 degree Celsius here.  A few mornings where I didn’t remember to remote start and it was a bit slippy 2 to 3 but no clunks.  

Not that unusual. If you buy them right. I traded my 14 GMC for my 15 Santa Fe and actually lower my payments. My Santa Fe was abit upside down but the 17 Camry was deeply discounted. A redesign with the 18 was the reason. I’m now getting a flyer from my Toyota dealer offering a 2020 Camry at 0 percent. Add two years payments at 15$ less a month. I only owe 12K on the 17 Camry. At 50K miles I’m keeping this awhile breaking my every 2-3 year cycle.