I thought that the dealer was instructed to replace the brake pads if the mileage was over 6,250 miles?  Mine were starting to squeal and make noise like they were worn out with just over 23k miles. That isn’t normal - so I’ll be sure to ask before getting it back. 

Dealer has had my truck for 30 days straight today and I haven’t even heard from them since 12/31.  I’m in a comparable loaner so the only complaint I have is “it’s not my truck”. No window tint - is biggest complaint - but it’s not my truck!

4 hours ago, Jricharc said:

So I just went over 3k miles and my front brake life % shows at 57%.  That seems awfully low, how do you know if your brake life monitor needs to be calibrated?

Unless you are screeching to a stop everytime, your pads will be good for 36000 to 50000 miles. The dealership should inspect them at the oil change and tell you what the thickness is. 3000 miles will hardly touch the pads.

27 minutes ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Unless you are screeching to a stop everytime, your pads will be good for 36000 to 50000 miles. The dealership should inspect them at the oil change and tell you what the thickness is. 3000 miles will hardly touch the pads.

I wont let them touch my truck unless its warranty work.  I just changed my oil myself and will do the same with the pads, I was just curious if there was a surefire way to tell if your brake life monitor needs to be calibrated.  I hate the thought of having to take it back to them.

8 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

I wont let them touch my truck unless its warranty work.  I just changed my oil myself and will do the same with the pads, I was just curious if there was a surefire way to tell if your brake life monitor needs to be calibrated.  I hate the thought of having to take it back to them.

Yours need to be recalibrated. It should be 1-2% for 2-3k miles of normal driving.

My truck is still sitting at the dealer...  I have only received 1 text message from the dealer in the past week letting me know there are still no updates.  I have not received a call from my so called "GM Case Agent".  I am losing patience with GM/Chevy.  My truck has been in the shop for 3 weeks now.  They gave me a basic 2020 Silverado to drive, so that is nice, but I miss my Trail Boss!  Anyway... I have been trying to do some research on my own to figure out what the plan is from GM to get this resolved. I found this:

"Dealers will reprogram the brake computer starting Jan. 27, according to documents posted Thursday on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website."

It came from this article: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/12/19/gm-recalls-814-k-pickups-cars-fix-brake-battery-problems/2697727001/

So does that mean, we can expect to be without our trucks for another 2-3 weeks??  Will GM pay our truck payment for the past month since we have not been able to use them?  What else is GM doing for their customers?  Or are we just supposed to sit here and accept their lack of engineering and poor safety features?  At this point, I would prefer they buy my truck back and I can start over...

53 minutes ago, Jack Christensen said:

My truck is still sitting at the dealer...  I have only received 1 text message from the dealer in the past week letting me know there are still no updates.  I have not received a call from my so called "GM Case Agent".  I am losing patience with GM/Chevy.  My truck has been in the shop for 3 weeks now.  They gave me a basic 2020 Silverado to drive, so that is nice, but I miss my Trail Boss!  Anyway... I have been trying to do some research on my own to figure out what the plan is from GM to get this resolved. I found this:

"Dealers will reprogram the brake computer starting Jan. 27, according to documents posted Thursday on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website."

It came from this article: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/12/19/gm-recalls-814-k-pickups-cars-fix-brake-battery-problems/2697727001/

So does that mean, we can expect to be without our trucks for another 2-3 weeks??  Will GM pay our truck payment for the past month since we have not been able to use them?  What else is GM doing for their customers?  Or are we just supposed to sit here and accept their lack of engineering and poor safety features?  At this point, I would prefer they buy my truck back and I can start over...

I think the Jan 27th date refers to the past Recalls that have been performed and are causing certain problems with some customers. One of the Recalls is causing problems unforeseen and GM is trying to develop a fix. Getting compensation probably will depend on you contacting the Customer Service number along with the GM Regional Service Rep, and requesting what you want in return which will turn into a negotiation.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:34 AM, tomleo67 said:

my CTB is at the dealer today for 2 recalls, brakes and seat belt. I brought with me the notice from GM that I found on here to replace all pads if the vehicle has over 10k miles. (I have 18k) They do not want to do it and said they will contact GM but doubt I will get new pads. Has anyone had their pads replaced under recall?

called me back today to say the truck is ready, they replaced the dash cluster but I have 29k miles now! I told them I refuse to take the truck back as It had 18k when I brought it in. After a short heated convo the service manager told me he would call GM  to see what they will do. He calls me back 20 mins later says, sir we are very sorry! your truck is ready the miles are 18,212. we had it on kilometers ?

Also I didn't get the new brake pads they told me they are all 90+%. I got the brake indicator update and the seat belt update....

• Like 1

Had the alternator cable recall and the Break System Malfunction Warning recall done yesterday, I was really not wanting to do it but dealer said they have done a bunch and no issues so I had them do it, Drove it prolly 100 miles today with many starts and everything works ok so far... 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Rocz3cqg said:

GM did come out with a software fix for the previous brake recall and the TSB is PIT5728B.

So that means there was a problem with the recall fix but now the fix is fixed? 

I have been holding off on taking it in to avoid post recall blues. 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:29 AM, 2019ArkansasSierra said:

I thought that the dealer was instructed to replace the brake pads if the mileage was over 6,250 miles?  Mine were starting to squeal and make noise like they were worn out with just over 23k miles. That isn’t normal - so I’ll be sure to ask before getting it back. 

Dealer has had my truck for 30 days straight today and I haven’t even heard from them since 12/31.  I’m in a comparable loaner so the only complaint I have is “it’s not my truck”. No window tint - is biggest complaint - but it’s not my truck!

If it’s been in for more than  30 days file for a lemon law exchange most states have a 30 days out of service clause in there lemon law. Contact the BBB and get it started.

Edited by ILSilverado

So far, so good with the PIT5728B fix for the prior brake fix. I've made several trips in the last 24 hours and purposed used the app well of ahead of my departure times - so I could get both app-based start cycles in before driving. No errors of any kind and no codes showing when I hook up a scan tool. No issues with brakes either. Last night I was driving in some heavy wet snow changing over to sleep and the truck (with winter tires and added weight in the rear) was a rock solid tank on slick roads; so I'm hoping this solves the braking issues. I'd hate to give it up.