Headlight Adjustment on lifted HD

I recently purchased a new 2020 2500HD LT Z71 from the dealer with aftermarket 5” suspension lift and 37” tires. I decided to replace the halogen bulbs with aftermarket LED bulbs that work great, but I blind everyone I pass. I tried calling the dealer to inquire about headlamp adjustment, but they told me to contact the place who lifted the truck. That place said they had never received a call like that and headlight adjustment wasn’t a part of the lift kit. I was inclined to adjust on my own, but it seems the standard headlight adjustment screw doesn’t exist on the 2020 2500HD. Has anyone with left/level been successful at adjusting the headlamps? I got pulled over yesterday and the police officer said he would cite me if I didn’t get them adjusted...

There is another post on this so.ewhere never heard of they figured it out but there should be a adjustment.....owners manual should tell u

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Been searching for it but can't find it...but it might have been a GMC...

So the dealer should be able to adjust it if u have to contact them.....I would take the manual into them and show them.

really the dealer should be responsible....they sold you a brand new truck  they put the lift on and charged a pretty penny for sure....it has warranty and should be sold just like any other factory vehicle....not to mention you just spent 60-70k at their place of business.....that's the route I would be taking....

than begs question did they calibrate the steering, etc....

they should take care of it without hesitation.....if you mentioned this prior to signing they wouldn't even hesitate, or they would just lie, lol

• Like 1

really the dealer should be responsible....they sold you a brand new truck  they put the lift on and charged a pretty penny for sure....it has warranty and should be sold just like any other factory vehicle....not to mention you just spent 60-70k at their place of business.....that's the route I would be taking....

than begs question did they calibrate the steering, etc....

they should take care of it without hesitation.....if you mentioned this prior to signing they wouldn't even hesitate, or they would just lie, lol

Problem is the headlights were upgraded

Does the original bulb have a black deflector at the tip

Yeah I’d def make the dealer do it. It’d be one thing if you did the lift but since the dealer installed it they need to fix it.

With that being said, you may have to put the stock bulbs in and see how far off the aim is for them to adjust it. Some bulbs aren’t meant for halogen reflectors which can cause the glare. HID’s for example will blind everyone with halogen reflectors even on a stock vehicle.
LED’s can have a similar affect, just depends on the bulb.

Over the weekend I had my snowmobile in the back of my truck and got headlights flashed at me on a two lane road, with all stock halogen headlights and LED fog lights. The truck had about 500 pounds in the bed, so not very much, and the headlights are already getting to high. That did happen with my trailer hooked up with about 800 pounds of tongue weight. I really think the LED fog lights are the issue, but should drive my wife's Traverse while she drives the truck just to check. There has to be, or should be, a way to adjust both sets of lights.

Thanks everyone! I finally found the screws! Yes, the same screws just like the 19 and older models, only the placement is about 12 inches down, just behind the lamps when you open the hood. Since my truck has the lift, I wasn’t able to get a good look down in there without a ladder, and the dealership was no help - I’m guessing they haven’t had to work on these much yet since they are still relatively new? Once I found it, just a couple of turns clockwise and I was back in business. I did the standard 25’ method for good measure and no more blinding oncoming traffic!

thanks again....

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SkidooSteve12 said:

Over the weekend I had my snowmobile in the back of my truck and got headlights flashed at me on a two lane road, with all stock halogen headlights and LED fog lights. The truck had about 500 pounds in the bed, so not very much, and the headlights are already getting to high. That did happen with my trailer hooked up with about 800 pounds of tongue weight. I really think the LED fog lights are the issue, but should drive my wife's Traverse while she drives the truck just to check. There has to be, or should be, a way to adjust both sets of lights.

Up here in Alberta, Canada I was pulled over because I had my fog lights on when a vehicle was approaching (i.e. a cop car).  Supposedly not allowed to do that, they have to be turned off the same as high beams.  Maybe that is why you were being flashed.

You put LED's in a housing not designed for it, you are going to blind everyone regardless (though at least you are making an effort). LED's are way brighter than the standard output just like HID's and exactly why they have specific housings for them. Do it right, get an LED housing, oncoming traffic will appreciate it (especially that old person driving towards you on a two lane). Otherwise you are going to look all fast and furious like this with extremely bright lights just scattering all over...

IMG_0601.jpg

Tyler

• Like 1

True, not the adjustment it's the bulbs.

With Spring right around the corner local LE apparently have been using aftermarket lamps as a reason to stop vehicles to see whose been naughty and whose been nice. lol

Edited by It's Tim

41 minutes ago, cdnSpinalTap said:

Up here in Alberta, Canada I was pulled over because I had my fog lights on when a vehicle was approaching (i.e. a cop car).  Supposedly not allowed to do that, they have to be turned off the same as high beams.  Maybe that is why you were being flashed.

I don't believe that is a law in Michigan. I would say over half of the vehicles on the road drive with their fog/driving lights on with their low beam headlights. It is impossible to use the fog/driving lights with the high beams, which I think is a stupid configuration.