Coronavirus

KARNUT

On 6/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, OnTheReel said:

“Coronavirus cases surge nationwide” when more than half the states are not surging, and many are on a strong decline. Not really all that different than the pit bull reference. It’s meant to incite fear, drive an ulterior motive, and paint everything with a broad brush. They get away with it knowing most people don’t reach beneath the headline, or think critically.

When reporting on this virus, the fact that many states are NOT surging is every bit as relevant to the main story and how we respond to and contain these outbreaks in the future. However, nobody can learn anything when these things aren’t even reported.

Our state having massive decreases in hospitalizations absolutely is news, at least locally, because they spent 2 months telling us we’d surge when we opened. That was SUPPOSED to happen, it was effectively guaranteed by many! But when something doesn’t fit their pre-determined narrative, it’s tossed out.

You learn more from (and about) the news by paying attention to what they deem to be “not a story”. It’s not always a matter of spinning, or lying. 

Which state are you in? (If it's on your profile, I can't see it on my phone.)

I understand that reporting of decreases is important. And my local news has been doing that better than any of the major news corps. But let me pose this question. Our hypothesis thus far has been that the increased heat and sunshine should weaken the virus. It was discussed at the press briefs by both the current administration and the task force. If this is the case then shouldn't having 20+ states showing increases be important?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ithan Henry said:

I understand that reporting of decreases is important. And my local news has been doing that better than any of the major news corps. But let me pose this question. Our hypothesis thus far has been that the increased heat and sunshine should weaken the virus. It was discussed at the press briefs by both the current administration and the task force. If this is the case then shouldn't having 20+ states showing increases be important?

Reporting decreases in the least populated state does not generate the buzz like the most populated state having increases, news is still a business.  Whether the national news reports it doesn't matter to me, it's more important to know increases/decreases locally which moves me either way.

Along with other ideas, I think the heat narrative was about throwing more "stuff" on the wall to see what sticks.

Funny how it seems the numbers are suggesting the states seeing increases are seeing that of a younger age bracket. I cant pin point what events many younger people so selfishly partook in within the last 2-3 weeks and still continue to today...... Yup must be all those horrible people going back to work according to the media...?

• Like 1

image.png.2781abac784b4f26a69782153a4168f5.png

World chart made from Google data. 

Motoring along at 80 K a day for a good while then....on a 1500 day/day increase (acceleration) and holding steady standing now at 140 K a day in new cases 14 day average and still rising. This isn't a second 'wave', this was a pause while it caught its second breath. One of many. Only 9 million cases in a world of 8 BILLION people.         

0.11%.  

If there are actually 10 times the official numbers infected this is still only 1% of the world population. 

If 100 times more, only 10% infection currently infected!

?

So Oregon County in their infinite wisdom has deemed requiring mask use by African Americans unfair as they say makes them feel like criminals, seriously i kid you not! 

All other races must wear them, this after for the last 3 months being told how much more dangerous this virus is to the African american population. The rest and majority of the population in Oregon can get bent, your safety i guess doesn't supersede the feelings of African Americans now. 

And people cant fathom why most of the country has had enough of this virus, when we have to see crap like this that completely contradicts everything they have said!

• Like 2

The Math:  States that didn't believe the virus + having to restart the economy + having to get out + nice beaches + protesting + campaigning = the US is in a world of hurt.

Talking with my 90 yr old mother, she said subtract the super wealthy, the virus the other 99% will begin to feel is called "Great Depression-itus".

Took somewhere around 141 days for the World to reach it's first million confirmed cases.

(@ November 15, 2019 to April 4, 2020)

The next million took only 13 days

7 days for the last million

Now adding more than a million a week

image.png.86ab4c19c6b516b2175ba9fb61af38b9.png

Scaling is unreadable with first case data. 

The remainder looks like a flat line. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Took somewhere around 141 days for the World to reach it's first million confirmed cases.

(@ November 15, 2019 to April 4, 2020)

The next million took only 13 days

7 days for the last million

Now adding more than a million a week

image.png.86ab4c19c6b516b2175ba9fb61af38b9.png

Scaling is unreadable with first case data. 

The remainder looks like a flat line. 

Americans won't have a choice but to hang on for the ride.  The bigger question, how are we going to do it.

• Like 1

I believe my youngest son (33 yrs old) is experiencing a second round of covid.  The first time back in Dec 19 when he had no taste or smell, everyone thought it was the flu.  Now he has no taste or smell and some other symptoms, results will be in a day or so.  I researched if lungs can heal after covid, found out they can return to normal function in about 3 to 12 months.   

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Zip said:

Americans won't have a choice but to hang on for the ride.  The bigger question, how are we going to do it.

You may have noted that 1/4 of the worlds cases come from the US. 

You may have also noted that the number of daily cases is the highest it has been in the US. 

Yes, more testing. But only a 8.2% positivity rate? Not a huge contribution. (Our world in data . org source)

What we want to do is spin numbers. Virus doesn't care. 

We want to gut it out....Virus doesn't care.

We want to pretend it not a big deal....Virus doesn't care.  

Can't say how 'we' are going to do that. Can say they can open whatever they like. I'm stay'n home. 

I suppose the first few people on the Titanic acted about like this. This thing is unsinkable. Can't be true. 

• Like 1

I will still go out and about as I normally do. Wear the mask if the place says I need to. People that don't want to go out don't have too. I'm just tired of the talk about rising this and rising that, of course it's going to happen. This thing isn't just going to up and leave and shutting things down again isn't going to stop it either.