Question: What UCA's are you guys running?

Looking to replace my upper control arms and I want to get upgraded ones. Im not running a lift, but I do plan on moving my 5100's up 1 notch. So basically stock height +1. Most of the ones I'm finding are for a 2"-4" lift and aren't clear in the description if they work with stock height. Any brands I should avoid ? Thanks in advance. 506e28d7aaa428824ab8b9b18101b50c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

IMO I would avoid the tubular style. They just look weak.

I'm running Kryptonite UCA'S on my 9" McGaughys lift. They are stout. Replaceable ball joints and lifetime warranty. Around $500 

IMG_20200426_143946_01.jpg

tapatalk_share_-911989951_compressed (1).jpeg

8 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

IMO I would avoid the tubular style. They just look weak.

Looks and performance are two seperate things. While boxed UCA's definitely do look better, tubular UCA's from reptuble companies like Dirt King or Camburg will be made from 4130 chromoly which is far from weak. 

Your UCA's look much weaker than the tubular UCAs on my LT kit, probably are to! 

Edited by AZ_RADO_RNR

99.75 % of people on here and just in general will never do anything to force a UCA failure on any reputable brand. It really comes down to aesthetics and how much you are planning on going through ball joints (press in vs bolt in). Most failures are usually just a flaw in manufacturing mostly by human error, specificly joint fab. Monday job vs Friday. I’ve seen maybe three compromised welds fail and upper or lower control arms in the 18 years that I’ve been building custom vehicles. And the only time I’ve seen one bent was through collision. I have run beltech, djm, tci and porter built on lowered and bagged trucks and Cognito and McGaughys on lifted.. never a failure in one.. all just what look I was going for at the time. 

Edited by CovetedStyle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AZ_RADO_RNR said:

Looks and performance are two seperate things. While boxed UCA's definitely do look better, tubular UCA's from reptuble companies like Dirt King or Camburg will be made from 4130 chromoly which is far from weak. 

Your UCA's look much weaker than the tubular UCAs on my LT kit, probably are to! 

They are far from weak. Kryptonite rules the 3/4 -1 ton front end parts world. Do your research Junior. You want weak leave the stock UCA'S on it.

I'm running the kryptonite UCAs as well I like em pretty good.

The bolt in balljoints are nice feature imo. They look nice and the angles are perfect on my 2.5in level. All the bushings and balljoints have zerks on em for greasing. I don't do much wheeling so I can't comment on their toughness. Paid just under 500 on eBay from Rudy's diesel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 2:13 PM, AZ_RADO_RNR said:

looks like your thread got off topic; sorry!  I was also looking into this.  I'm running 5100 on the third setting.  I don't think we have any option other than stock.  Most are for 2.5" of lift or more.  The angle of the ball joint won't be correct.  I only was looking into this b/c I wanted to add a greaseable ball joint; I don't like the ones that come from the factory with no zerk fittings.

With my extended travel Fox 2.5 and dirt king UCA I have just under 10 inches of wheel travel. I would get the icons with the delta joint if I was buying them now. They were not out when I bought mine. But since you are running Bilsteins without extra travel you will not need the increased ball joint angles. Get a set that you like the look of that has a sealed ball joint. I have to lube my uniballs about every other month.

• 3 weeks later...