ANY difference between Normal and Sport mode?

Tjeli

Yes. Sport mode is more "sporty". More aggressive tuning and shift points. If i drove a street truck I'd use this mode all the time. I have a truck made for dirt (Trail Boss), so i keep it on normal when cruising on the street.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to know the shift points in Sport because it's a blast to drive! I have the 6.2L and a Borla, which makes Sport mode pure enjoyment to drive [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dani2005 said:

I'd be interested to know the shift points in Sport because it's a blast to drive! I have the 6.2L and a Borla, which makes Sport mode pure enjoyment to drive emoji7.png

I'm with you... When I turn Sport mode on it's hard to say what is happening. The 6.2 gets up to speed so fast I need to let off the gas. I do notice a slight difference in exhaust sound when in Sport mode. A little more aggressive. 

Also, I will say I test drove 2 separate 5.3's and tried Sport mode in them. It was a noticeable difference in both trucks compared to Normal mode. IMO the 6.2 is such a beast it doesn't matter the mode, it just wants to GO GO GO!

Edited by childstoys
  • Like 1

The main difference to me with the shifting is how it holds gears longer at part throttle, and substantially increases engine braking during deceleration. WOT blasts are not considerably different and I have measured acceleration to be nearly identical.

Wish I could have the increased steering effort of the sport mode all of the time. The trans behavior I don’t really care for in normal driving.

Also wish selecting “sport” would carry over to the next drive cycle instead of defaulting to “tour” again when you start the truck back up. It stays in tow/ haul if that’s the last mode you were in, but not sport.

I've also noticed a 1-2 mpg increase in sport mode.  Not sure why, but I'll take it.  Hard to tell exactly how much because it doesn't stay on between restarts and sometimes I forget to turn it back on.

I have been playing with sport mode recently and I have noticed and increase in fuel economy along as I can remember to select when I start the truck. I find especially in city driving it gets the beast up to speed quicker so I don't have to stay on the gas as long.

I was not expecting to hear people say there is an increase in MPG. I'll have to experiment with that myself and see what my truck does. Thanks for the input everyone!

I tried L9, T/H, and sport mode doing 70 mph. L9 netted about 3 mpg less than T/H and Sport. Sport averaged the same as t/h according to the dash meter. This was a 30 mile drive so nothing super scientific...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jav_eee said:

I tried L9, T/H, and sport mode doing 70 mph. L9 netted about 3 mpg less than T/H and Sport. Sport averaged the same as t/h according to the dash meter. This was a 30 mile drive so nothing super scientific...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good data...

The main difference to me with the shifting is how it holds gears longer at part throttle, and substantially increases engine braking during deceleration. WOT blasts are not considerably different and I have measured acceleration to be nearly identical.

Wish I could have the increased steering effort of the sport mode all of the time. The trans behavior I don’t really care for in normal driving.

Also wish selecting “sport” would carry over to the next drive cycle instead of defaulting to “tour” again when you start the truck back up. It stays in tow/ haul if that’s the last mode you were in, but not sport.
Strange, my 2020 AT4 6.2 does not stay in tow haul if parked for more than a couple hours, it also defaults back to normal...