Factory Issued Bottle Jack Malfunction

I am curious to know if anyone else just experienced what I have experienced? If so, how did you remediate the problem?

I drive a 2019 Chevy Silverado Custom Trail Boss. The Trail Boss edition comes standard with a 3" lift from the dealership.

I ended up getting a flat tire on my way to work on the rear passenger side.

I thought, no big deal, I'll just use my spare.

(When I am at home I have a 2 ton jack that I use, however, I only had the jack provided with the vehicle at the time my tire was going flat.)

I was in a level parking lot (work) when I noticed the tire going flat. It was a slow leak.

I took out the owner's manual because identifying how to exactly change the tire with the equipment provided with the vehicle can be tricky sometimes.

I did exactly as specified in the manual, placing the bottle jack exactly where I was supposed to.

I noticed that the bottle jack seemed to be getting near it's maximum height, yet my "flat" tire was barely off of the ground...

I did manage to get my flat tire off of the vehicle, however, common sense tells me that there is no way my inflated, full-sized spare was going to clear enough to mount.

Assuming the manufacturer would not give me a jack that did not work with my vehicle I continued to lift the vehicle with the jack. Only two turns later and I saw the jack begin to buckle in the middle. I attempted to lower the truck, but it was too late.

The jack buckled and my truck fell on to the rear passenger side rotor.

My question(s) is:

1. Shouldn't GM provide a jack that is suitable for instructions provided in the owner's manual?

2. Has this happened to anyone else?

3. Who is at fault here?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick,

So you put the jack under the rear axle? Factory lift wouldn’t affect this. That being said, I’ve never jacked the truck up high enough to pull the tire off with the OEM jack though it most definitely should be able to handle the weight.

Did the jack buckle or did the truck roll forward causing it to fall off the jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it had the GM Accessory lift installed then the kit should have come with a new taller jack. The stock jack should lift the Trailboss just fine but if the accessory lift was installed it sounds like someone may not have replaced the jack with the new one provided in the kit. 

My truck was parked with the front tires against a curb and I used chocks on the rear to prevent rolling. However, I was in a flat parking lot. I don't think it was the weight of the truck that buckled the jack. I think that the jack was not designed to lift this vehicle high enough to change a tire. 

BPRIKOLA,

Yeah, the Trail Boss comes with the lift as is. I drove the truck off the lot with 10 miles on it and did not provide an after market lift. I was assuming that they gave me a jack capable of lifting the vehicle they sold me.

The stock tires on the Trail Boss Custom are just under an inch shorter than the regular Custom (32.08" vs 33"), so your rear axle is actually closer to the ground than a regular Custom.  You certainly don't need a longer jack.  Maybe there was a defect in the jack.

Those factory bottle jacks are crap.

As you found, at extension, they're too weak.

Also, the ram end has NOTHING to grip the axle tube or frame with. Try using that thing in the rain.

It's garbage. You can get a small hydraulic jack and pitch that thing in the garbage. This is GM's fault. Not the first person I have heard say this happened to them.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Sounds like OP used the spot the manual suggests.

image.png.63ca4a8853a65a7d28a4ffb6d0205768.png

Rear Position - 1500 Models
5. If the flat tire is on the rear, position the jack under the rear axle about 5 cm (2 in) inboard of the shock absorber bracket.

Edited by redwngr

I’d be pushing for the dealer to replace the jack and to fix any damage. That’s crazy it buckled. Only if the thing rolled is that even possible.

I’m assuming you were able to re-jack the truck with the wonky jack to install the spare? I just looked at mine and other than a touch of rust on the jack it looks up to the task. Need to apply some oil to it now!

I noticed that the bottle jack seemed to be getting near it's maximum height, yet my "flat" tire was barely off of the ground...

I agree with you totally but....

Always carry 2x6 pieces for jacking IMO.

I agree with you totally but....
Always carry 2x6 pieces for jacking IMO.

Or a 3 ton floor jack [emoji16]

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BPIRKOLA said:

If it had the GM Accessory lift installed then the kit should have come with a new taller jack. The stock jack should lift the Trailboss just fine but if the accessory lift was installed it sounds like someone may not have replaced the jack with the new one provided in the kit. 

This is incorrect.  The 2" Trailboss lift kit comes with the EXACT same jack as comes in the truck, down to the same part number.  I fully extended the stock jack and the one that came in the lift kit to compare....they both extended the same amount.  

As others have posted, you don't need a taller jack for the TB/AT4....the axle is still the same distance from the ground.  The lift blocks are placed between the leaf springs and the axle.  Truck.goes up....axle doesn't move.

• Like 1