2020 Sierra cruise control not working

Sawito

Question

Hello,

Cruise control stopped working (neither normal nor adaptive). When I press the dial to "set" the cruise speed nothing happens, also I read I should be able to change between normal and adaptive cruise by pressing the "cancel cruise" button, but when I do nothing happens.

Truck comes from a GM employee who had diagnosed it as  the steering wheel being the culprit (in case the switch was defective); he gave me a new steering wheel with the truck which I swapped but it did not work.

I guess the easy route would be to take to the dealership for them to diagnose, but since that will take longer and usually several visits: What else should I try?

Any specific fuse or something else I should check?

thanks!

ps. gratuitous pic of a dirty Sierra for your time

IMG_3522.jpg

4 answers to this question

Wires may have been routed incorrectly and got pinched or chaffed and shorted by the tilt column or the spinning steering shaft,  possibly a bad BCM (last on the list normally, but today, just as good a chance as bad wiring), or something else is failing causing the cruise to be locked out for safety. 

Don't forget, you may need to reflash the BCM to accept the new switch, too. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. In such case, even if you had the J-box and laptop, it would still cost you money to GM for the downloadable files. I'd make GM deal with their crappy engineering and workmanship, personally.

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Wires may have been routed incorrectly and got pinched or chaffed and shorted by the tilt column or the spinning steering shaft,  possibly a bad BCM (last on the list normally, but today, just as good a chance as bad wiring), or something else is failing causing the cruise to be locked out for safety. 

Don't forget, you may need to reflash the BCM to accept the new switch, too. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. In such case, even if you had the J-box and laptop, it would still cost you money to GM for the downloadable files. I'd make GM deal with their crappy engineering and workmanship, personally.

Thank you very much, will schedule a visit to the dealership next week.

cheers!

• Like 1