Hi All,

At 46,032 miles the check engine light came on. Took to my usual service center.  They did a fuel injector flush service and this remedied the problem for a few days.

Light comes back on, same error.  I ran a tank of premium fuel through the engine - light goes off.

At 47,300 miles the check engine light is back on.  Checked the code = P050D X2.

Took to the local GMC dealer  - "Performed fuel injector balance test. All bank 1 injectors low". 

Repair estimate attached. 

Is this common for 4 injectors to go bad simultaneously on one bank?   Or can there be another problem?

The truck has a 5.3 engine. 

Per the service manager this is not covered under any warranties. 

The truck runs fine- quick start and no discernable hesitations or unusual engine noises.  

Any direction on a remedy would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John 

Screenshot 2020-12-30 111928.png

The only thing I can think of is they got dirty, but why it only affected one side, I can't say. Also, I'm not sure how this couldn't be covered under the powetrain warranty, if the truck still has one.

I'd say it's time for a second opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bad injectors, common issue on the 2014+ trucks. While I agree it should be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty or the 8yr/80k emissions warranty it seems GM only covers them under the 3yr/36k warranty.

You can buy and replace all of the injectors with new ones for about half of the dealers quote. It is actually a pretty easy job to do yourself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sunday, February 28, 2021.pdfSunday, February 28, 2021 (2).pdfHI All,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post - here is the latest update;

The dealer replaced the bank one injectors 1,3,5 and 7. This was $1,100 out of pocket  A few days later I was driving and was overwhelmed by the smell of gas.  Pulled over, popped the hood and there was fuel leak.   Was only  2 miles from the dealer so I drove there and dropped if off.  The problem was a leak at # 7 injector.  Dealer repaired this at no charge.  While in the shop they diagnosed a problem with the #6 lifter which they repaired under warranty  Sunday, February 28, 2021.pdfSunday, February 28, 2021 (2).pdf

I was informed by the service manager that the p050d code flashed and the now I am being told all of bank 2 injectors need to be replaced.  The truck has 48,000 miles on it.  The truck is still at the dealership and I am driving a courtesy car.  The service manager has escalated this to GM corporate in an effort to find some relief.  Standing by for now albeit very frustrated.   

Edited by John Norman

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, John Norman said:

Sunday, February 28, 2021.pdfSunday, February 28, 2021 (2).pdfHI All,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post - here is the latest update;

The dealer replaced the bank one injectors 1,3,5 and 7. This was $1,100 out of pocket  A few days later I was driving and was overwhelmed by the smell of gas.  Pulled over, popped the hood and there was fuel leak.   Was only  2 miles from the dealer so I drove there and dropped if off.  The problem was a leak at # 7 injector.  Dealer repaired this at no charge.  While in the shop they diagnosed a problem with the #6 lifter which they repaired under warranty  Sunday, February 28, 2021.pdfSunday, February 28, 2021 (2).pdf

I was informed by the service manager that the p050d code flashed and the now I am being told all of bank 2 injectors need to be replaced.  The truck has 48,000 miles on it.  The truck is still at the dealership and I am driving a courtesy car.  The service manager has escalated this to GM corporate in an effort to find some relief.  Standing by for now albeit very frustrated.   

This happened to me on my 2017 too at 34k miles but out of 3 year warranty. I had one injector gone.

Dealership told me to replace all 8 straight away as it would happen again so I did (after reading about it on here it popped up a couple of times if all of them didn’t go). Been running ok now for a few thousand miles. Ended up costing me around $2.2k.

Are you of those emissions States that followed California in emissions regs? If so you might be able to have it done free.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Silverado 6.2, crew cab with 14,587 miles. It was bought Nov. 30,2017. It is out of 3year 36 warranty.  I to have a p050d code. I have an appointment for Wednesday to my dealer. If this is normal for this to happen, I'm  getting rid of this truck. I use top tier, premium fuel from Arco. I take great care of my truck and have hD my dealer changed the oil three times so far. Is there better injectors or is this the way Direct Injection is.

SOUNDS REAL EXPENSIVE IF THIS HAPPENS EVERY 15,000 MILES!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a special GM bulletin out there that states in certain states the fuel injectors are covered for 150K mile or 10 years. 

I have a 2017 with the 5.3 liter and have what the dealer says is 3 bad injectors. 28500 miles and out of the 3 year bumper to bumper and not covered in the great state of Texas, GMs biggest market.

GM is aware of the problem , yet won't stand behind their product.

Why are we as consumers taking this from GM?

IT'S TIME TO RAISE HELL!!!

Time to get a new non GM truck too.

Edited by Skeeterhawk

Mine is a 2017 Silverado with 14,450 miles. I'm out of the 3-36 so mine aren't  covered under warranty. I can't see how these deteriorate sitting in my garage and are causing the P050D code. I don't see this being a good scenario in the long run. Certainly a costly one and I only use premium top tier fuel from Arco, here in Ca.,

ANY SUGGESTIONS? 

4 hours ago, roadiemanchild said:

Mine is a 2017 Silverado with 14,450 miles. I'm out of the 3-36 so mine aren't  covered under warranty. I can't see how these deteriorate sitting in my garage and are causing the P050D code. I don't see this being a good scenario in the long run. Certainly a costly one and I only use premium top tier fuel from Arco, here in Ca.,

ANY SUGGESTIONS? 

If you are in Cali. you maybe covered on injectors. I would check with dealer I thought I seen somewhere that in Cali. injectors fell under a special coverage bulletin. 10  years or 150k miles sure can't hurt to ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, roadiemanchild said:

Yep! Mine are covered under a 10 year 150000 mile special coverage for 2016 and 2017 only years for 5.3 and 6.2.

What a relief! 

Good luck to all in your endeavors. 

PP

Hey I told you about the special bulletin. Did it fix your problem?