Okay all. Looking at trading in my 2006 Silverado for a new 2021 Double cab truck. With this said what is the comparison of the 3.0 diesel and 5.3? Do mostly in town driving at the moment. Retiring in 3 months and may be cruising the USA. Below is the truck i am looking at getting.  Plan on placing a canoy/topper on the back so will that hurt the regular 4x4 stance and squat it a little.  Let me know thoughts. Should i wait a while or special order now????

2021 Silverado Double cab.

5.3 or 3.0 engine

8 speed tranny

4x4

full floor console and buckets

Bose

Oxford Brown Exterior

Gideon/­Very Dark Atmosphere, Cloth seat trim

ALL STAR EDITION PLUS

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE II

SAFETY PACKAGE

BED PROTECTION PACKAGE

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE WITH BUCKET SEATS

Nerf bars, Splash guards, floor liner all weather.

2021 Silverado 1500.pdf

If you get an RST package you can get the 5.3L with the 10 spd I believe. Try and get the 10 spd if you can. It’s super smooth. Some of the 8 spds still have issues. 
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the 3.0L diesel as well. Just have to pay a little more for diesel and DEF than the regular fuel with the 5.3L. 
Good luck with your choice. Congrats on retirement. Both my parents are heading for it in May as well. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

In-town driving and may cruise the US (sounds like it might or might not happen and also not a regular thing) to me suggest a gas engine vs a diesel. Diesel engines need time to warm up which may be an issue if you're just doing in-town driving. Gas economy is better though. Also as mentioned, definitely get the 10 speed paired with whichever engine you choose.

I’ve city driven my 6,6 Duramax for 250k miles. I jump in and go, never wait for warmup. I’d say if you’re not towing and don’t plan on keeping it for  WELL over 100k miles then go with the 5.3. Also if you decide you need more power there’s more room for improvement on the 5.3 with a supercharger over the 3.0 diesel. 

I say all of this while being a big fan of Diesel engines but they do have their place. One side note is resale value will be a lot greater on a diesel. 

On 2/2/2021 at 6:55 AM, BossTaco2020 said:

In-town driving and may cruise the US (sounds like it might or might not happen and also not a regular thing) to me suggest a gas engine vs a diesel. Diesel engines need time to warm up which may be an issue if you're just doing in-town driving. Gas economy is better though. Also as mentioned, definitely get the 10 speed paired with whichever engine you choose.

The 3.0 warms up extremely fast, even in cold temps. 

• 1 month later...

10 speed and the 3.0. In town getting 25-28MPG and often better than that. I rolled the dice on the 3.0 but have been impressed with how well it runs. Not your old school diesels for sure. Warms up like a gas vehicle. Towed to my weight limit hauling a dump trailer the other day. Smooth and even while towing got 15MPG.

• 7 months later...

I'm just starting to do some research and build my truck. I just wanted to thank everyone for the info provided here on this site.

My wife and I wish to do a lot of traveling and I'm leaning towards the 3.0

One question....it seems we always go through a period where gas is so difficult to get, is it the same with diesel? I would think

that the 18 wheelers would have priority with their hauling and keeping America open, so is there ever an issue with obtaining

diesel fuel during these times? 

Wouldn't worry about it with the range the 3.0l has. Last trip I did out east seeing 650-750  miles per tank easily, depending how its pushed Really luv this setup for what I've using it for. Def is hardly a issue if you're not towing. 

-Grover67

Agree with Grover. When we’ve traveled both to East Coast and West, we never had a problem finding fuel as trucking is critical to movement of goods. And you are spot on about DEF- if we dont tow, it barely uses any

even over a 1k miles.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, Descartian said:

I say all of this while being a big fan of Diesel engines but they do have their place. One side note is resale value will be a lot greater on a diesel. 

Resale is higher because the initial price you paid is also greater.  Price is a wash.