Factory Battery life

What has been your experience with the factory battery life in your truck? 

I have a 2017 2500HD Duramax (89k miles) and the batteries still seem great but obviously know they are coming up on end of life.

Going to replace with original ACDelco at some point.

• Like 1

I know some people that replace all of their batteries every year no matter what.

Seems like a bad idea to me, but to each their own.

I have seen batteries fail in 3 years, and others sometimes last 10+ years.

I would just buy a battery load tester for $20, and check your battery every other oil change.

pro-series-inspection-tools-803068-64_10

• Like 2

I'm sure it depends on vehicle use.  Short distance vs long distance driving.  We have had for the most part good luck out of the factory install battery.   All have lasted to 5yrs.  Now that we are not driving as much I would suspect the life to be less.  Plus short distance driving means not as much recovery time to charge back up between starts.

• Like 1

Still got the factory battery in my 2016 Silverado.

And fun fact, there are really only 3 companies that make batteries for basically everything. So it doesn't really matter what sticker it says on the front. You're paying for the name and the warranty coverage because it's just a different case design and sticker depending on what place wants them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Come March 8 this year I have 7 years and 155K miles on Peppers OEM battery. I love this smart charger technology. In the low teens here and she spins like a top with 10W30 in her belly. 😉 Last year got down to about -28 F and she still started with ease. 

Granted I don't put many winter miles on her and I drive a high percentage of highway miles so I strain is less than many. Still......

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

My original battery lasted 11+ years on my 2010, I just changed it year as it wasn't spinning the starter as fast as normal. I do mostly short trips and it only has 67000 miles on it. Owned since new and never needed boosting. sometimes it would sit for days at the airport or in my driveway without being used.

• Like 2

My vehicles usually go 4-5 years for the in town use vehicles. My collector vehicles with aftermarket alarms usually went about 3 years even with a trickle charge every two weeks. My long distance driving work trucks that usually went 150K miles 2-3 years never needed replacement. Long distance driving vehicles that fully charge battery tend to last longer. I had one replaced at the dealership during an oil change under warranty. I didn’t know it was bad. 

• Like 1

I have 160,000km on my factory battery in a 2500HD 6.0L gas that I bought new in January 2016 but is a 2015 model year so it  could be as old as 7 years.  It's starting to show signs of weakness;  the pause/rewind live radio stopped working first and now it struggles to start by remote in extreme cold (-25C).  It starts every time with the key.  I'm not sure why there is a difference.

I put a tester on it and it reads about 548CCA and 48% life.  I'm debating a new one but I love stats and specifics, and hate replacing unnecessarily early but I think I might be due.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Replaced the OEM battery in my 2017 6.0L 2500HD this winter. Should've done it last year. The battery in my 2011 didn't last 4 years.