Multiple DTC Error Codes ESC, ABS, Steering, Parking Brake, ... on 2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3.0 Diesel

Sharing experience for your info and any ideas you might have.  My shiny new 2021 GMC Sierra Denali 3.0 Duramax Diesel with 4900 miles on it has been losing its mind.  I get multiple, rotating DIC messages: “Service ESC”, “Service Parking Brake”,  Service ABS”, “Adaptive Cruise Control Disabled”,  Steering Assist Reduced Drive with Care”, . . . ). The error messages come with other “benefits” besides disabled cruise control. I also enjoy no GPS signal, no Blind Spot sensors, no collision avoidance sensors, and who knows what else.   

Fortunately, the diagnostic codes were stored so the tech could see them, and I provided video of the DIC messages each time, too.  They are on their 4th attempt to repair it now.  First time, they replaced the Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor (4025920) .  Second time, they tried the same thing and replaced the Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor, again.  The 3rd time, they inspected the engine harness but found no damage so they replaced the pigtail to the  Exhaust Particulate Matter Sensor and followed an 8 hr rest cycle and road test protocol.  It worked for about 2 hours after I picked it up, then everything lit up again.   This (4th) time, they are saying they will replace the entire wiring harness per GM’s direction.   I do not want to use Florida’s Lemon Law, but I am starting the process just to be safe.

BTW, I’m also getting the “long-crank/no-start” issue.  They just applied the ECM update per TSB for this problem, so we’ll see if that worked when/if I get to keep the truck more than a couple hours between service appointments.

I was having issues with the passive locking feature where the truck locks the doors a few seconds after I get out with the key in my pocket.  It would not  work even when set to on.  Now that they did the Infotainment software update (V155) this seems to be fixed.

I’m still having false messages that the SD Card for the Navigation System has been removed when it has not been.  GM has a bulletin out so they know about this issue, but it appears there is no fix action on this one yet.

After looking up each code listed on the repair orders (RO’s), I believe the main harness is a very likely cause of all the DIC error messages and system failures.  Otherwise, all those modules and sensors involved have gone bad simultaneously.  I suppose a power surge of some kind could do that, but then it seems the modules would not work fine in the short time between repairs.

Here are the codes the tech reported on the last two Repair Orders (bold codes where noted on both RO’s):

2/5/22:

B1A01

Speaker 1 General Electric Failure

B395B

Side View Camera Left

P1488

Particulate Matter Sensor Protection Tube Performance

U0020

Low Speed CAN Bus

U0022

Low Speed CAN Communication Bus (+) Low

U0077

Control Module Communication Chassis Expansion CAN Bus

U0121

Lost Communication with Electronic Brake Control Module

U0151

Lost Communication with Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module

U0155

Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module

U0184

Lost Communication with Radio Unit

U0415

Invalid Data Received From Electronic Brake Control Module

U0422

Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module

2/10/22:

B0967

Parking Aid On/Off Switch Circuit Short to Ground

B1AO1

Speaker 1 General Electric Failure

P1488

Particulate Matter Sensor Protection Tube Performance

U0077

Control Module Communication Chassis Expansion CAN Bus

U0121

Lost Communication with Electronic Brake Control Module

U0131

Lost Communication with Power Steering Control Module

U0151

Lost Communication with Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module

U0184

Lost Communication with Radio Unit

U0415

Invalid Data Received From Electronic Brake Control Module

U0421

Invalid Data Received From Suspension Control Module

U0422

Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System Control Module

Holy Cow.... That's a lot of errors !!   Did you take delivery before the microchip shortage thing began? I'm wondering if the "newly processed" chips were  manufactured poorly. When was your build date? (I've been asking that a lot).

Edited by thekcwolf
Added content

I couldn’t say if the tech checked the fuse box bolts, but I’ll ask.  The first time this issue was addressed, it was a simple CEL.  They did the first exhaust particulate matter sensor replacement then.  I don’t know why they did the same exact thing the second time and expected a different result.   It is really looking like a damaged, or likely an improperly installed and then damaged, wiring harness to me when I study those DTCs.  

I took delivery in June 2021 having waited for the truck to finish its cruise from the assembly plant in Mexico to the port here in Jacksonville, FL.  I don’t know how long it sat there after assembly before being loaded on the ship.

• 1 month later...

Update:  I still do not have my truck back.  The service advisor reports the grounding, fuse box bolts, etc. were all verified per GM specs.  They also replaced another wiring pigtail, but the issue persisted.  At least this time it didn't wait until I picked it up to go haywire again. Action has been on hold since late last week awaiting the GM engineer to travel from Atlanta.  

Yesterday, the GM engineer was on site to make a last ditch effort to fix the truck.  He believes he found two bad components attached to/associated with the body control module. (The advisor tells me these tests are beyond normal dealer service department troubleshooting.)  The body control module passed the tests, but 2 of the 4 "terminals" are showing bad voltage levels if I understood the advisor correctly.  They ordered the 2 terminals for overnight delivery and are installing today.  They say the GM engineer usually departs once he completes the diagnosis, but this time they are making him come in this afternoon to certify the repair as GM approved and fixed.  If the repair does not work, the dealer says they will engage with GM on my behalf to do a buy back and get me into a new, new truck.

I've owned this truck for 9 months.  In that brief time, the truck has been in the shop for 6 full weeks so far.  Not the "professional grade" experience I expect from GMC.  Sad.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on the road again!  The GM FSE (Field Service Engineer) was in a number of times, and he determined there was a loose terminal pin on the SDM x1 connector located under the center console.  Inspection and replacement involved removing the console, seats, carpeting.  So far, all appears to be fixed. 

The long-crank, no-start issue MIGHT be fixed.  The software update mentioned earlier is supposed to be a fix.  So far, it hasn't happened, but it was a very intermittent problem.

Everything appears to be working nominally.   I'm cautiously optimistic that all is good.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 12:14 AM, Jen1 said:

I’m having the same issue.  My dealership wants to replace the battery.  Are you still having issues? 

Sorry for the delayed response.  Yes, the DTC issue appears to be fixed.  The Long-Crank, No-Start problem happened again (once) since they applied the software patch that was supposed to fix it.  But, the pid in the SDM under the center console seems to have been the problem with the crazy error codes and system failures.  I hope you have already gotten resolution!