customboss

Right to repair needs to be done, and in an even broader scope. In my field of electronics we run into two different degrees of spite from the manufacturers. 

1) Refusal to provide component level parts or schematics to the end user (or independent shops) on currently supported products. While I don’t think it’s right for them to be the only option for repair, at least they are still willing to work on the stuff.

2) Refusal to provide schematics or any type of service parts on “legacy” products the manufacturer doesn’t offer repair on either. This is obviously intended to force the customer into a new product. Sometimes we are able to reverse engineer their products and have parts reproduced. But more often than not the manufacturer gets their intended result. Another new product sold and another old one in the dump.

Not related to what I work with, but Apple has historically been one of the worst. You can buy two brand new, identical model iPhones, move the camera module from one to the other, and features will intentionally be bricked by the software. We aren’t talking about installing a bootleg part. One factory Apple part replaced with another. Same for batteries and screens. Absolutely no reason for this other than to force you through their repair network. And when they decide to no longer support or service the device, it’s junk and you’re buying a new one (from guess who)…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Absolutely no reason for this other than to force you through their repair network. And when they decide to no longer support or service the device, it’s junk and you’re buying a new one (from guess who)…

I told the Mrs. not long ago that when then can no longer make a profit legally they will lobby laws the let them steal with impunity. We are at that point. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I told the Mrs. not long ago that when then can no longer make a profit legally they will lobby laws the let them steal with impunity. We are at that point. 

It’s called monopoly power. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, customboss said:

It’s called monopoly power. 

It's called greed which is idolatry. Oxford says of idolatry: extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone.

Money has become their god. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

It's called greed which is idolatry. Oxford says of idolatry: extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone.

Money has become their god. 

Indeed, why we busted up all the monopolies from "the free market" via Sherman Anti Trust act 1890. Tech companies are the new robber barons and need to be yanked down for more competition and less concentration of money and power at the tippy top!  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...