CHECK YOUR DIFFS...

2 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

The HD trucks are run on the rollers to check for issues, sort of like a dyno, every one gets that and a number are actually test driven for "squeaks and rattles". They do spend quite a bit of effort on validation and testing in an attempt to curb warranty issues. 

Wish that run on the rollers included checking diffs haha

10 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

True haha. If I'm in the drive thru at Jimmy Johns I always pay cash so they can get me my sammie before I tell them to pound sand on the tip as they fumble for cash.

I never send food back either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I never send food back either. 

Bingo. If it's that bad - I just don't eat it and tell them I don't need anything else. Whatever comes back out is full of "things" I don't want to eat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started my work career at a GMC/Diamond T garage back in 1965. Being low man on the totem pole, one of my duties was to check every fluid level on every truck we sent out the door new or used. And I don't remember ever finding a new vehicle with a low differential. Times have changed. A new pickup back then was probably 2-3 grand.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rdonarski said:

I started my work career at a GMC/Diamond T garage back in 1965. Being low man on the totem pole, one of my duties was to check every fluid level on every truck we sent out the door new or used. And I don't remember ever finding a new vehicle with a low differential. Times have changed. A new pickup back then was probably 2-3 grand.

Diamond T.... you don't hear that everyday. My boss has a museum with 5 or 6 and more in resto process. Along with some REO Speedwagons, for the truck portion 

Edited by BB68
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BB68 said:

Diamond T.... you don't hear that everyday. My boss has a museum with 5 or 6 and more in resto process. Along with some REO Speedwagons, for the truck portion 

I was there when Diamond T combined with REO. I was assigned the task of converting our Diamond T inventory to Diamond REO.  The conversion kits came in a large box including blueprints. It was a fun project.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rdonarski said:

I was there when Diamond T combined with REO. I was assigned the task of converting our Diamond T inventory to Diamond REO.  The conversion kits came in a large box including blueprints. It was a fun project.

Twin Pines Truck Stop in Cedar Rapids Iowa was just down the road from the house I grew up in before I-380 cut a swath through there. Diamond Reo dealership as well. Use to ride in the yard horse as a kid. Twin stick 4 over 4 transmissions. Loop the arm through the steering wheel to get a hand on both. Pretty sound that lazy shift. Lay in bed at night and listen to them rumble down US-30 one slow gear change at a time. Beautiful trucks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up a couple blocks south of the Diamond Reo plant in Lansing. It was vacant by then. I remember coming home from a weekend at grandmas one Sunday night, we saw the sky glowing over town. Come to find out the whole plant was burning. We were close to the railroad spur that fed it, so we had a clear view out the back of the house. Those flames were a lot taller than the trees. I want to say that was around 81 or 82. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the '22 3500 back Thursday. Seems like driving a new truck, it's been so long.

20230528_180543.thumb.jpg.78b1e809cccad3fca4b76d0defb53c1b.jpgChecked the rear diff this morning. Took 1 full qt and 14 ozs from a second before it started to drip out.

Still need to check the front.

28 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Got the '22 3500 back Thursday. Seems like driving a new truck, it's been so long.

20230528_180543.thumb.jpg.78b1e809cccad3fca4b76d0defb53c1b.jpgChecked the rear diff this morning. Took 1 full qt and 14 ozs from a second before it started to drip out.

Still need to check the front.

I know I'm going to get some crap from saying this but I still haven't checked my front diff...Not because I'm lazy, it's just life.  I will plan on doing that tomorrow.  

On 5/28/2023 at 6:53 PM, Jettech1 said:

I know I'm going to get some crap from saying this but I still haven't checked my front diff...Not because I'm lazy, it's just life.  I will plan on doing that tomorrow.  

Well? What did you come up with? I filled the front diff today and used a squeeze qt. Not accurate, but I'd say it was all of a half qt.

27 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Well? What did you come up with? I filled the front diff today and used a squeeze qt. Not accurate, but I'd say it was all of a half qt.

I still haven't done it....you called me out...lol...I will get to it soon.  Just when you think you might have some time, life steps in and says....oh no you don't....lol...

On 5/20/2023 at 4:35 PM, Stand By said:

Grew up a couple blocks south of the Diamond Reo plant in Lansing. It was vacant by then. I remember coming home from a weekend at grandmas one Sunday night, we saw the sky glowing over town. Come to find out the whole plant was burning. We were close to the railroad spur that fed it, so we had a clear view out the back of the house. Those flames were a lot taller than the trees. I want to say that was around 81 or 82. 

When I was 19 (1968) my boss sent me on a bus out to the Diamond Reo factory to pick up a truck for a customer. It had a 318 Detroit Diesel and a 13 speed transmission. I had never seen a 13 spd before that. Sent a $30K check with me to pay for it. Told me it would be ready when I got there. I got there at 6am. Being a stupid kid, when I couldn't get in the main door, I wandered around till I found an open door. Wandered all thru the office including the drafting area w/o finding anyone (luckily for me). Finally left and came back at 8. They gave me a tour of the plant while waiting for final prep. I didn't mention I'd already seen the office. That was during Vietnam and every 4th truck was going to the military. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I was under mine yesterday doing rustproofing I figured I would check the rear diff. Best I can tell it was at least 1 1/2" below the fill plug. I put about a pint in it and threw the plug back in. I am still waiting for some sort of document that shows what American Axle specifies as "full"