Fuel MPG in the 6.0 engine?

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. Reposting it here where it belongs:

Mind boggling to me. I get 21-22mpg in my 5.3L/3.42 2014 1500 4x4, but I'm seriously lucky to get 12mpg in exactly the same conditions with a similar driving style in the 3500. It's starting to worry me. I did 60 miles over the weekend, at 60mph, on flat roads, with only about 3 stops the whole time, and the DIC told me I averaged 10.2mpg. It's generally right when I hand calculate. This would easily be 21mpg in the 1500. Towing? 11mpg in the 1500 (averaged over thousands of miles). 7.5mpg in the 3500 -- with the same trailers. My gas mileage is 20% lower (or worse) than even the worst estimates I see from most people with the Vortec engine...

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. Reposting it here where it belongs:

Mind boggling to me. I get 21-22mpg in my 5.3L/3.42 2014 1500 4x4, but I'm seriously lucky to get 12mpg in exactly the same conditions with a similar driving style in the 3500. It's starting to worry me. I did 60 miles over the weekend, at 60mph, on flat roads, with only about 3 stops the whole time, and the DIC told me I averaged 10.2mpg. It's generally right when I hand calculate. This would easily be 21mpg in the 1500. Towing? 11mpg in the 1500 (averaged over thousands of miles). 7.5mpg in the 3500 -- with the same trailers. My gas mileage is 20% lower (or worse) than even the worst estimates I see from most people with the Vortec engine...

That 1500 has direct injection, cylinder deactivation, has better aerodynamics from sitting lower on the frame, and probably weighs 1000 to 1500 pounds less than a 3500. You'd probably see a few more MPG in a comparable 2500, but I can see the 3500 doing what you stated.

In ideal conditions, my 2500 sees 15-16 MPG, but ideal conditions are rare. Realistically, economy is between 10 and 14 MPG depending upon frequency of stoplights and hilliness of the terrain.

How do they compare regarding towing? My 2500 was unfazed by towing and if it weren't for the decrease in MPG, you'd forget the trailer was back there.

Edited by KMK454

Is it a dually? Otherwise there should be zero MPG difference between a 2500 and 3500.

I'd think that you may have a problem. My 3500 SRW CCLB 4c4 would get 15-16mpg under those conditions, unless you had a severe headwind.

Everyone in my area gets what you do, I am starting to think the guys on here are old retired guys that go out and try to set mpg records. Best I ever got was 13.1, worst 8.1, average 10.1mpg. Never towing.

Everyone in my area gets what you do, I am starting to think the guys on here are old retired guys that go out and try to set mpg records. Best I ever got was 13.1, worst 8.1, average 10.1mpg. Never towing.

33 here. I don't drive it like I stole it, I do try to get decent MPG' but I don't baby it either.. I live in Kamloops BC so it's not like there is much flat road around here either. My other trucks I've typically gotten similar MPG's to what most others report.

Nah, In my case just a commercial truck driver/owner with over 5 million miles that knows how to get decent fuel economy without driving like some old coot with one foot in the grave. My 2015 2500 6.0L has consistently gotten 17-18 highway with around 14.5 mpg for all miles... gravel roads, two lane highways, off road, hauling, etc. And almost all of it on E15 fuel which is supposed to be less mpg than ethanol free gas. Yes, we have had the newer E15 blend in our area for quite a while. But then, I also average about 20-25% better fuel economy with my semi truck than the trucking industry average. Just carry over the same practices I have developed over the years to my pickup. I suppose I am an old guy, but several years before medicare and social security eligibility.

Averaged around 9.5 mpg just this week with my 70' long semi truck and trailer (yes, loaded). Lifetime average for all 414.000 miles on it, a hair under 8 mpg at 7.93 mpg, and all northern tier of the U.S. year round. Trucking industry average is between 6 and 6.5 mpg. I am saving roughly $10,000 or more a year on fuel costs compared to the trucking average by getting the better fuel economy. Even more when fuel was near the $5 mark per gallon. If one knows what they are doing, it is not difficult to exceed averages on mpg for any vehicle. Just a matter of learning how it likes to do things and taking advantage of all the little nuances of the vehicle.

Even on my 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel, the EPA estimates for it were 27 highway. I consistently got 32+ mpg highway with it. My son has it now and has learned well from me. He also averages similar mpg.

Edited by Cowpie

Regardless of where your truck falls on the 10 to 16 MPG average scale that most people report, the fact remains that you are still getting poor gas mileage!

I'm ok with getting 13-16, but if I were in the 9-11mpg camp I'd be rather disappointed.

Mpg's aren't "good" but relative to what other trucks get, I'm satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 Cert of Origin said my 2500HD Double shipped weight was 6450 lbs (without a full tank of gas) ..

Anyone know what a simular 1500 Double 4x4 shippiing weight is ?

About 5350 or so according to GM model weights app for 1500 DC 4x4 6.2 SLT.

I spent some time in the frame plant -- huge difference between 1500 and 2500 frames. 2500 series brakes are massive compared to 1500 series.

I hopped on the scale at the local grain elevator one day. My 2500HD Z71 LT 6.0L double cab with snow plow prep, full of fuel, tool box in the bed, and two people, came in at around 7200 lb.

When we compare fuel costs and mpg, a consideration, especially between the 6.2L Ecotec in the 1500 and the 6.0L in the 2500, is the fuel itself. The 6.0L can use everything but diesel, whereas the 6.2 is premium only. Now given I can get 17-18 mpg highway with E15 regular at 2.39 a gallon, a 6.2L would have to average 24 mpg with premium at 3.20 a gallon in my area, just to break even with my fuel cost per mile.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 ltz double cab 6.2 /3.42 and 41500 mi. also duratrac 20" 33" tall .. I have never used premium. doesn't call 4 it. on a long stretch 55 to 65 I will easily do 20 -22 mpg good conditions. @ 72 -8o 17.2 mpg. I never avg. under 15mpg. all around mpg lately 16.4--17.2 per tank. I tow 7700# toyhauler empty about 10000# loaded . mileage tanks to 6- 8.5. even towing my suretrac 2 axle 7.5 to ten.going to turn in soon . I need engine braking .. 6.0 or diesel???? or a max-pkg 6.2?