No 4x4 traction in 4 inches of snow??

bbill

Bought a 2011 3500 4x4 Durmax.

Last winter it got stuck going up my driveway in about 4 inches of snow. - while in four-wheel drive.

The driveway is about a 5-10 degree slope... not much at all!!!

So now, I'm wondering what the heck did I get, and why it wouldn't go up such a whimpy incline?

Was it the differential configuration? or the Tires? (Tires are street tread.)

Limited slip?

I checked my glove box and it lists a G80.

Should I add something else to my rig?

I don't off-road -- just pull a 20' trailer once a year.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the G80 is working and the transfer case is engaging, it must be the tires. I drive up a north facing ice covered driveway that 240' long and is a 12% grade (very steep) and I have no problems in snow or ice but I have winter tires on.

Several times I've even come to a dead stop half way up the driveway (after spinning the rears on snow or ice until progress stopped), engaged the transfer case and easily pulled all the way up without any problems before.

DEWFPO

I would say it is the tires. I had Michelin LTX M/S tires on my old HD and it would walk right up my drive in 2wd. When I bought this truck I put Bridgestone Duelar A/T Revo's on it and I needed 4wd to go up the driveway. Although the Revo's were better in mud and wet grass than the Michelins, they were much worse in snow and wet roads.

I took the Bridgestones off with only 32K miles on them because I didn't want to drive on them anymore. I put on Nexen Rodian H/T tires which have a very similar tread to the Michelins (at a much lower cost).

you have limited slip , locking rear end in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

It is always there.

And so the G80 is sufficient for you.

As mentioned above, Good Mud and Snow Tires is the way to go if you are concernd about getting stuck to often.

Scooby

Thanks.... I just checked and it appears that 4 new tires cost as much as a locking differential would have. ($1200)

So now I'm thinking that maybe I'll just go with two new rear tires.... It sure is painful when my truck only has 12k miles on it.

Thanks for eveyone's comments.

I would also say it's your tires. I run 2 sets of wheels and tires up here in Alaska, one for summer, one for winter. Summer is the stock Michelin LTX AT2's and winter are Good Year Ultra Grip ICE WRT's with studs. A dedicated winter tire (look for the snowflake symbol) will run circles around any all season, all terrain, or mud terrain (they are the worst for ice).

Archived