5th wheel with a tool box

hi yall i'm new around here. we have a 2004 gmc 2500hd long bed , and we tow our 5th wheel with it , and would like to know if I can put a over the rails tool box I all ready have and not have any trouble or do I need to get an in bed box for it . thanks yall

hi yall i'm new around here. we have a 2004 gmc 2500hd long bed , and we tow our 5th wheel with it , and would like to know if I can put a over the rails tool box I all ready have and not have any trouble or do I need to get an in bed box for it . thanks yall

I think it depends on the hitch on the 5vr...I had an extended pin on a smaller 5vr and had no issues with a large over-the-rail tool box and 8 foot bed. But shorter pin boxes may cause you grief.

thanks we have an Anderson gooseneck adapter and it sits over the axle and can be adjusted , guess what we really need to know is how much room do we need so it wont hit the camper if we make a turn . thanks so much

Again, that's going to be 5vr/trailer-specific. You will have to probably do a trial and error approach to get it where you need.

Best I can tell you is measure from the centerline of the camper to an outside edge (probably four feet), then try to have more than that measurement from the center of the hitch to the corner of the box...in other words, try to have enough room that the box and camper don't shake hands in a corner.

I just went through this with my 5vr, and with this short bed 2500, I had to run with a slider clear back in order to make even a moderate turn. Forget about making anything approaching 90*. My solution was to ditch the over-the-rail box for an under-the-rail box.

I was thinking the under the rail was best also but I have a hubby who thinks it will work , I told him we can put the over the rail box in my truck and get him an in bed box , thanks for all your help

Archived