HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Affirm ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be tomorrow night more than likely. I pulled the morimoto ballast and hooked the opt 7 ballast back up since I'll be using the morimoto ballast for my high beams. It'll only take a few minutes to hook the morimoto back up but I don't get off work until midnight or so. What do you want pics of? The output comparison of the morimoto ballast against the opt 7 ballast? Or of the almost non existent color difference between the 5500k and 6500k morimoto bulbs? I will say this. If you decide to go with the opt 7 hid kit I would advise just getting the ballast and relay harness from them and morimoto bulbs. They are definitely better bulbs. I could tell no difference in brightness between the 2 ballast.

I just bought the Morimoto 35w Sierra kit. If I decide these suck and down the road I want to add the Lexus RX projectors, is it as simple as just buying the projectors and adding them to the kit?

You would just need the projectors, with brackets and some d2h bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm quite intrigued as generally the Opt 7 kit is cheaper than the Morimoto set up.

Can we see some pictures?

The left side (passenger side) is the morimoto xb55 and the right side is the opt 7 55w. Morimoto 6500k bulbs both sides.

09fe84d1d82d7376089736886de75237.jpgd2b30e97a01cfa28b66a65d6970c967a.jpgd08ee2e42bb3a9646f77fcdd9c075912.jpg

• Like 1

Can anyone help me out here?

I got the Sierra spec kit yesterday and installed it. Install went well, headlights work great but I noticed a slight buzzing sound sometimes from the ballast on the drivers side, and it goes away and sometimes it sounds like it's the igniter. I can't hear any buzzing whatsoever from the passenger side. I can also only hear the buzzing with the engine off. Lights seem to work well, they both turn out fine and are steady. I think I did notice the smallest amount of flickering while driving on a dirt road though. It was very minimal though.

I tried reversing a few plugs and nothing. Anyone have any ideas? It's the Sierra spec morimoto kit with 35w ballasts and 4500k bulbs.

Thanks

***Update, I think it wasn't flickering but rather just the washboard road and because the lights are brighter, that cutoff can be slightly more jumpy. However the slight buzzing on the one side remains.

I guess I was unaware BPS Opt 7 had HID as well as LED kits. I was mainly comparing the Opt 7 LED kit to the Morimoto HID kit but seeing that you have both in the HID setup; as you said, the difference in the two is null.

Is the Opt 7/Morimoto much difference in quality? Why do you say the Morimoto bulbs are better?

**I also wanted to thank you for the thorough photos and explanation!

Edited by Aaron1085

I guess I was unaware BPS Opt 7 had HID as well as LED kits. I was mainly comparing the Opt 7 LED kit to the Morimoto HID kit but seeing that you have both in the HID setup; as you said, the difference in the two is null.

Is the Opt 7/Morimoto much difference in quality? Why do you say the Morimoto bulbs are better?

**I also wanted to thank you for the thorough photos and explanation!

As far as ballast go, the warm up time is almost identical. Close enough that I can't tell the difference. The morimoto ballast and ignitors seem to be a better build quality; but the opt 7 have been trouble free for the 4 months I've had them. I will say that the morimoto bulbs are definitely better bulbs. Not any brighter that I can tell but the output is cleaner if that makes sense. The opt 7 bulbs have a metal mounting base with no rubber bushing or o-ring. They fit kind of loose in the projector housing causing the hotspot to be off skew. The morimoto bulbs have a plastic base with a rubber bushing or whatever you call it that makes a nice tight fit. Also, even though the opt 7 bulbs were labeled h11b they were definitely regular h11 bulbs. The grounding electrode that runs the length of the bulb is opposite of the morimoto bulbs and that causes the opt 7 bulbs to have the tire track shadows where as the morimoto bulbs have a clean output. They also have better coverage on the sides of the road. That could be because they are actually seated in the projector more snuggly, I really don't know. The color output also seems more accurate. The opt 7 bulbs were 6000k and were more white/blue than the morimoto 6500k bulbs are. The only reason I ordered the morimoto ballast is because I am fixing to change my high beams to hid from led. I wanted to see if the morimoto ballast were any better than the opt 7 as far as warm up time and output brightness. They aren't. Hindsight being 20/20, if I knew then what I know now I would have ordered the opt 7 kit and then morimoto bulbs separately and still would have come out cheaper than the complete morimoto setup. Your mileage may vary.

Great review. I briefed the Opt 7 site last night and must say: TOO many options. A lot of kits and modules, etc. borderline as confusing as Disney World.

What exact kit did you get from Opt 7 (I do have a Sierra - though it should be similar). So then, which bulbs from Morimoto as I'd like to pride it out today and hopefully make a purchase by week's end as opposed to farting around like I have been doing for the last year.

Great review. I briefed the Opt 7 site last night and must say: TOO many options. A lot of kits and modules, etc. borderline as confusing as Disney World.

What exact kit did you get from Opt 7 (I do have a Sierra - though it should be similar). So then, which bulbs from Morimoto as I'd like to pride it out today and hopefully make a purchase by week's end as opposed to farting around like I have been doing for the last year.

Why not just get the Morimoto Sierra Spec kit? It's worth it to have all the parts come as a package. It's practically plug and play after.

Oh you know, the usual answer of "trying to save a few bucks".

I was going to just pick up with Opt7 LED kit which looks and, from a members post, performance great. However I am leaning towards going HID as I think this is probably the actually best lighting one could get.

Edited by Aaron1085

Why not just get the Morimoto Sierra Spec kit? It's worth it to have all the parts come as a package. It's practically plug and play after.

The morimoto kit is no more plug and play than the opt 7 kit and considering you can get the opt 7 kit and then order morimoto bulbs and still come out almost $70 cheaper than getting the morimoto kit why would you not?

Granted I have no long term experience with either brand, but so far the opt 7 ballasts run the morimoto bulbs just as bright, warm up just as fast if not a second or so faster, and have the same color output as the morimoto ballasts. As for me, I'll save the $70. Now don't get me wrong, if the opt 7 ballasts prove less reliable and the 2 year warranty runs out, then I will be more than happy to spend the money the next time on all morimoto parts if they prove more reliable.

• Like 1