HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra and my friend is a 15 Silverado we both bought H IDs through DDM tuning call them and get the can bus system that's what I have and that's what he has and they work fine simply plug it into the factory harness and put the bulb in no relay harness no error cancelers needed they were about 110.00 I think

Awesome! Thank you so much. But what about the housing?

I recently installed the Morimoto 35w kit on my 15 Sierra Denali. Both sides were working fine until yesterday. The driver's side will not fire now.

It's a PITA to get to the pass bulb, or I would have swapped them already. Plus it's cold out and I don't have room in the garage right now.

I did however swap ballasts. Didn't do any good.

I pulled the bulb, but it looks normal.

I then unplugged the bulb from the ignitor and turned the light switch on. A brief sparking/clicking noise could be heard, then stop. I then unplugged the ignitor from the ballast and turning the light switch back on. No noise. This tells me the ignitor is getting power.

Is there a way to use a multi meter on the bulb to check it?

I'll answer my own question. It was a bad ignitor.

For reference, when i plugged the new ignitor in, bulb disconnected, the sparking/clicking noise was not there. It just hummed like it normally does when the bulb is lit.

Just as a reminder to anyone looking for a FXR upgrade on there Silverado. I have a brand new set of GM projector headlights with the FXR retrofit already installed. Still in the GM boxes. I paid $1300 for everything but willing to deal. Had them on the truck for a week then traded it in for a new SRT Challenger. Pulled the lights and put the stockers back in.

Why upgrade to HID bulbs?

Projector headlight systems were originally designed to be used with HID's. Instead of offering HID's in the 2014 trucks, GM opted to go the cheap route and use halogen bulbs instead. The result is headlights many of us consider inadequate, at best. Installing HID bulbs helps to partially correct what many see as a significant design flaw. HID bulbs are not perfect (primarily because of GM's use of inferior lenses and reflectors in the stock projectors) but are a substantial improvement over the stock halogen bulbs.

What is a projector retrofit?

A projector retrofit is the process of installing HID projectors into vehicles that were originally equipped with standard halogen reflector headlights. It has also come to include any upgrades to a vehicle's existing projectors, whether they be the halogen or HID variety. Aftermarket HID projector retrofits are the best lighting upgrade currently available, but have significantly higher costs and generally require a greater knowledge & skill level to install compared to HID bulb kits.

On my 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD I did install an aftermarket HID kit in my projector headlights. The stock halogen lights sucked. The HID's are great and aimed perfectly and have never had anyone flash me.

So here's my problem: I went for a state inspection and got rejected because of the "after market HID's.

I couldn't believe it. Has anyone been through this?

Just recently found this for anyone looking to do a projector retrofit...

http://www.fastheadlights.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=fxr_retrofit-kit

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Projector headlight systems were originally designed to be used with HID's. Instead of offering HID's in the 2014 trucks, GM opted to go the cheap route and use halogen bulbs instead. The result is headlights many of us consider inadequate, at best. Installing HID bulbs helps to partially correct what many see as a significant design flaw. HID bulbs are not perfect (primarily because of GM's use of inferior lenses and reflectors in the stock projectors) but are a substantial improvement over the stock halogen bulbs.

A projector retrofit is the process of installing HID projectors into vehicles that were originally equipped with standard halogen reflector headlights. It has also come to include any upgrades to a vehicle's existing projectors, whether they be the halogen or HID variety. Aftermarket HID projector retrofits are the best lighting upgrade currently available, but have significantly higher costs and generally require a greater knowledge & skill level to install compared to HID bulb kits.

On my 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD I did install an aftermarket HID kit in my projector headlights. The stock halogen lights sucked. The HID's are great and aimed perfectly and have never had anyone flash me.

So here's my problem: I went for a state inspection and got rejected because of the "after market HID's.

What state are you in? Personally I'd just go to another garage.

Awesome! Thank you so much. But what about the housing?

I have a DDM Tuning kit in my truck. Just their back kit should work fine. However, I would highly recommend the auxiliary wiring harness. HID's draw more power at startup and can cause problems with the factory wiring. I've been installing HID kits this way for 10 years and never had a problem. For $10 it's it's worth it not to fry your factory wiring and honestly it's the right way to do it...

Does that truck come with OEM projectors? WITH HID's? Maybe it was the color of the the bulb? Whats the K value installed?

Yes the truck (2015 GMC 2500HD ) came with halgen projector headlights. They were so bad it was a safety issue. I installed 9006-6K-G4-CANBUS and I couldn't be more pleased. But now some little grease monkey says he will have to fail me because any and all after market HID's are not legal according to him.

I have a DDM Tuning kit in my truck. Just their back kit should work fine. However, I would highly recommend the auxiliary wiring harness. HID's draw more power at startup and can cause problems with the factory wiring. I've been installing HID kits this way for 10 years and never had a problem. For $10 it's it's worth it not to fry your factory wiring and honestly it's the right way to do it...

What is the back kit never herd of it there new kits for that truck are only 35 watt canbus kits that don't require the power harness yes you can add the power harness but the Rep at DDM said for the canbus. It's not needed

Yes the truck (2015 GMC 2500HD ) came with halgen projector headlights. They were so bad it was a safety issue. I installed 9006-6K-G4-CANBUS and I couldn't be more pleased. But now some little grease monkey says he will have to fail me because any and all after market HID's are not legal according to him.[/size]

Tell him to show you that law in writing don't know what state you live in but I have never herd of that

They have to be DOT approved. Aftermarket kits are not.

The kid must just be new cause iv had a inspection license for almost 20 years and all we have to do is make sure the lights work and are aimed right we don't care what bulbs u have or anything I have never herd of anyone failing a car due to its light being after market or stock