HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Well, add me to the list. I just installed the Morimoto HID 5500k kit in my Sierra. I also installed the Morimoto LED fog light replacement kit. [emoji15] WOW.

The fit and finish was definitely as professional as others have described. The color and beam pattern is fantastic.

14fc96350bc995812d9589c347def4ef.jpg HIGH BEAMS AND FOGS.

a9a32ffc2905d6690a7ba9ac43f9d472.jpg LOW BEAMS ONLY

eeec98b8d625a25b5fef82de13c4ef3e.jpg FOG LIGHTS ONLY

1f0e1d75699c60e247376a50f219bca0.jpg LOW BEAMS AND FOGS FACING OUT FROM MY GARAGE.

My only question is on the last photo, notice the two "high spots" of light. Any input on why that is occurring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you installed them did you have the rod on the bulb facing up or down? It should be down.......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There is certainly a ton of great info in this thread! However, I skimmed through all 183 pages and have found very little concerning Silverado LT reflector housings. I am very interested in doing a projector retro install in the reflector style headlights and yes I understand the labour involved.

Now i know many will suggest I buy a set of LTZ headlights and upgrade the projectors however the prices for LTZ headlights are very high and being from Canada, the exchange rate really affects the cost... 30+ % more to be exact..

I would consider OEM replicas but have been having a hard time finding them.

There must be other reflector style owners out there that have retro fitted projectors in to these headlights.

I would love to see photos and to hear from experiences people have had dealing with the reflector style headlights.

Please.post info regarding reflector style retrofits!! Photos would be great.

Dave

The light pattern looks similar to the one I just installed. I don't think it's an installation problem. The bulbs can only be plugged into the harness one way and inserted and twisted into the headlight one way. I think it may be a reflection off some of the chrome trim around the grill. Beats the hell out of the stock ones though.

Agreed the bulbs can only go in one way, on my set I have a very minor high spot on the passenger side but it's further off to the right!

• Like 1

I installed the trs morimoto kit in my 2015 GMC Sierra today. I have the ballast whine I have read about in here. Pulled that cap link plug apart and pushed the male pins down but no change. It starts out loud as soon as you turn the lights on but gets a little quieter. The female side of the cap plug is sloppy and loose as can be. I turn on the lights and move the wires on the back of that plug and it will shut them off. Anyone run into this scenario? I've been thru all 183 pages the last two weeks doing my research and don't remember seeing this problem. Any way to tighten those up in the housing?

I installed the trs morimoto kit in my 2015 GMC Sierra today. I have the ballast whine I have read about in here. Pulled that cap link plug apart and pushed the male pins down but no change. It starts out loud as soon as you turn the lights on but gets a little quieter. The female side of the cap plug is sloppy and loose as can be. I turn on the lights and move the wires on the back of that plug and it will shut them off. Anyone run into this scenario? I've been thru all 183 pages the last two weeks doing my research and don't remember seeing this problem. Any way to tighten those up in the housing?

I did the same today but on my 2015 Silverado, I did notice a noise when they turn on but that's all that I recall. i'll have to check it out tomorrow to see if mine are whining or not.

Instead of reversing the plug when I did my install I actually swapped the pins over so when the plugs connected the lock still worked, don't know if that will help in this case?

• Like 1

Instead of reversing the plug when I did my install I actually swapped the pins over so when the plugs connected the lock still worked, don't know if that will help in this case?

That's not really my issue. The female pin side is loose. So when the male enters, it's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway if you know what I'm saying! ?

Tried finding new plugs at the store with no luck. Guess I'll call trs tomorrow and see if they can send me a new one or have a remedy for me. I do have the plug that you cut off from the driver side i could try splicing in. May order a nicer plug though.

That's not really my issue. The female pin side is loose. So when the male enters, it's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway if you know what I'm saying!

Tried finding new plugs at the store with no luck. Guess I'll call trs tomorrow and see if they can send me a new one or have a remedy for me. I do have the plug that you cut off from the driver side i could try splicing in. May order a nicer plug though.

Use a zip tie to pull them together tightly.

How do you have high beams and fogs on at the same time

Big fan. That's actually how I usually drive. Provides clear lightning forward and sideways. I like to light up the road!!

Note: no one has flashed me at all. Great lights.

Edited by Aaron1085

When you installed them did you have the rod on the bulb facing up or down? It should be down.......

It's facing down. I haven't asked Morimoto; I probably should. Do they have an account on this forum? It's not terrible, it's just something I notice.

I've also noticed that it isn't exactly a PURE spectrum of headlights. I can see slight shadows from each headlight, almost like the shadows that would denote the outline of the round projector. (Like cat's eyes) for example.

It's facing down. I haven't asked Morimoto; I probably should. Do they have an account on this forum? It's not terrible, it's just something I notice.

I've also noticed that it isn't exactly a PURE spectrum of headlights. I can see slight shadows from each headlight, almost like the shadows that would denote the outline of the round projector. (Like cat's eyes) for example.

Same with mine, not sure if that changes with burn in either?

How do you have high beams and fogs on at the same time

You don't. You may have the fogs on, but when you activate the high beams the relay cuts power to the fogs. If you look at the foreground between the first and second picture, you can see the halo of the fogs on the road in the second picture is absent in the first. Not sure why they set it up like that. You would think if you are using your highs you are looking for maximum light output so the fogs should stay on, but GM engineers thought differently I guess.

I'm looking to install some Morimoto HID high beams in my 2015 Silverado 1500 and was wondering what harness to get for them? The 2 options are the Morimoto HD Relay Harness or the Can-Bus Harness and was wondering if someone could explain the differences of the two, or which one I would need to get the install done?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

One tip that may be helpful that I thought of was to put a mark on both headlight adjustment screws with a paint marker. Made it easy to adjust and know both lights were the same. Forgive me if this was suggested already, but dont remember reading it when I read thru the thread.