HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

39 minutes ago, Adam Waters said:

Switch your polarity. I had the same issue too. The clear is negative and the black is positive. They have it indicated on the other end of the plug, a + /-  is shown on there to confirm. Flip them and you should be good. 

- Adam 

Thanks, Adam. I'll try that tomorrow and report back. We have 5 hrs of driving tomorrow for a soccer game so it'll be later in the afternoon before I can do anything with it. Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, cbrsilv15 said:

eeaaa31b50c1f29e612aef94d79eb1b4.jpg
eefe3cda4976c6258b8d85256ff03b9f.jpg

22705ddf2712eccee0eeee3f1ba9be8d.jpg

High beams are crazy bright! I also swapped the 9005 highs to some 9011’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are those hid or LED high beams?  They're crazy bright!

4 minutes ago, MegaCode360 said:

Are those hid or LED high beams?  They're crazy bright!

They're the md2s bixenon projectors.  I have a splitter on there, so it's a mix of the HID and 9011 halogen bulb.  You can see the yellowish tint from the halogen.

Thanks, Adam. I'll try that tomorrow and report back. We have 5 hrs of driving tomorrow for a soccer game so it'll be later in the afternoon before I can do anything with it. Thanks again. 
This is totally what it is. Morimoto is stupid for doing this. Lots of us dealers have bitched about this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 3/31/2019 at 9:15 PM, FastWS6TA said:

This is totally what it is. Morimoto is stupid for doing this. Lots of us dealers have bitched about this.

Thanks Adam and FastWS6TA. I just now got a chance to mess with the lights. I flipped the plug from the headlight to the capacitor link and that fixed it. I disconnected the battery, used a small pick to remove the wires, and reinstalled them opposite of what they were. Thanks again for your help. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 10:25 PM, FastWS6TA said:

Yes sir. Typically a distortion in the beam pattern is due to bulb position. Really nothing to go wrong with the projector typically. Issues with this type of retrofit are typically:
Bulb put of position or rotated
Bad ballast (doesnt fire)

These issues are not "common", but when there is an issue it would tend to be one of the above. I feel yours is bulb position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatal

Took the front end apart last weekend after I installed my new 2016+ LED tails and got the confidence to touch the bulb. Sure enough, it wiggled in there and could see the beam pattern and the brightness change as it wiggled. Took it apart, backed the locking nut off and got the main nut pushing the bulb into place better and that fixed it. Output is killer now, looks amazing!

Thanks for the tip!

@FastWS6TA About 2 years ago I bought and installed the Silverado hid kit from trs. I’ve had 3 bulbs go out since then. And 1 ballast. Even trs doesn’t know why. I lost my third and final bulb today so I’m over it...

seriously considering the D2S retrofit kit from fast headlights. I did an FXR retrofit in my last truck and loved it. 

Couple questions:

1) already answered :)

2) how do the lens optics compare to the FXR projectors?

3) since the D2S projectors are bi-xenon and it looks like the fastheadlights kit included a high beam splitter, do they both flip to high (projector and stock high beam) at the same time? 

4) without baking the headlight assembly lens apart, is there enough adjustment of the projector itself to ensure the cutoff is level or do he adapters line it up well?

5) general HID height adjustment question. Can anyone refresh my memory? The cutoff should hit what height when parked 25ft from a Wall?

i live out in the sticks and am constantly dodging wildlife so I don’t want to blind other drivers but I really want to maximize light output/reach outwards and side to side. I may add some led ditch lights to help if necessary.

thanks all!

Edited by mr4wdLTZ
Editing questions as I read the thread backwards

2 hours ago, mr4wdLTZ said:

@FastWS6TA About 2 years ago I bought and installed the Silverado hid kit from trs. I’ve had 3 bulbs go out since then. And 1 ballast. Even trs doesn’t know why. I lost my third and final bulb today so I’m over it...

seriously considering the D2S retrofit kit from fast headlights. I did an FXR retrofit in my last truck and loved it. 

Couple questions:

1) already answered :)

3) since the D2S projectors are bi-xenon and it looks like the fastheadlights kit included a high beam splitter, do they both flip to high (projector and stock high beam) at the same time? 

4) without baking the headlight assembly lens apart, is there enough adjustment of the projector itself to ensure the cutoff is level or do he adapters line it up well?

5) general HID height adjustment question. Can anyone refresh my memory? The cutoff should hit what height when parked 25ft from a Wall?

i live out in the sticks and am constantly dodging wildlife so I don’t want to blind other drivers but I really want to maximize light output/reach outwards and side to side. I may add some led ditch lights to help if necessary.

thanks all!

1) Cool.

2) It seems the FXR has a more focused hot spot, which results in a little added distance.  I have the md2s 5.0 and I love them. The fxr requires a lot to fit into the LTZ lights.  Md2s only needs a hole drilled in the cap for the wires.  Easy.

3)Yes, you will have a quad high beam with the splitter if you choose to use it.  I upgraded my 9005 high to a 9011 hir bulb.  A little whiter and puts out more lux vs the 9005.

4) I used the 3d printed brackets from @FastWS6TA in his kit, and the alignment is spot on. 

5)The cutoff should be 2" down from the center of the projector when you are 25' from a wall on a flat, level surface.

I thought about adding a light bar behind my grille, but with my retrofit, it is not necessary.  I have also have some Rigid dot/sae fogs that are pointed slightly out for added width. I couldn't be happier.  They have a nice cut off, and are actually street legal.

I always had PnP HID's in reflector housings that were pointed down, to avoid blinding traffic.  I absolutely love these lights and how they turned out.    

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cbrsilv15 said:

1) Cool.

2) It seems the FXR has a more focused hot spot, which results in a little added distance.  I have the md2s 5.0 and I love them. The fxr requires a lot to fit into the LTZ lights.  Md2s only needs a hole drilled in the cap for the wires.  Easy.

3)Yes, you will have a quad high beam with the splitter if you choose to use it.  I upgraded my 9005 high to a 9011 hir bulb.  A little whiter and puts out more lux vs the 9005.

4) I used the 3d printed brackets from @FastWS6TA in his kit, and the alignment is spot on. 

5)The cutoff should be 2" down from the center of the projector when you are 25' from a wall on a flat, level surface.

I thought about adding a light bar behind my grille, but with my retrofit, it is not necessary.  I have also have some Rigid dot/sae fogs that are pointed slightly out for added width. I couldn't be happier.  They have a nice cut off, and are actually street legal.

I always had PnP HID's in reflector housings that were pointed down, to avoid blinding traffic.  I absolutely love these lights and how they turned out.    

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I ordered the kit and am excited to get it installed. Will post before/after

• Like 1

[mention=134157]FastWS6TA[/mention] About 2 years ago I bought and installed the Silverado hid kit from trs. I’ve had 3 bulbs go out since then. And 1 ballast. Even trs doesn’t know why. I lost my third and final bulb today so I’m over it...

Couple questions:

1) already answered [emoji4]

thanks all!

Hey there
Sorry I am just seeing your post now. I got your order so thank you for that.! I will answer your questions just the same though.

2.) The lenses optics are very similar. The FXR might have a bit on the 5.0 with width but honestly it is so minimal it isn't worth stressing over. As well, you should always weigh out the cost, performance and ease of install factors. The FXR and 5.0 are similar in cost. Performance is very similar. But the install (as already mentioned) with the 5.0 is 10 times easier than the FXR. In my opinion the scale tips tremendously in the favor of the 5.0 retrofit. Same goes for the Sierra.

3.) Yes. Some ask about getting matching HID bulbs for the high beams but it isn't necessary and isn't recommended. If anything I suggest to get the 2Stroke LED option, but again, not necessary. To be honest you would be fine without the factory high beam as the 5.0 is better anyway. Ha

4.) Adapters will take care of it all. You will retain full adjustment via the factory adjuster.

5.) As already mentioned. 2 inch drop over a 25 feet distance.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help and your order is ready to roll out too just so you know. ;)

• Like 1