Popping noise from under the bed area?

2014 5.3 z71 4x4 1300 miles 3.08 gear ratio

Has anyone had an issue with a loud popping noise from under the bed or around the back wheels area? This is most noticable in the morning and when you are accelerating from a stop around 5 - 10 mph.

Dropped the truck off this morning but wanted to see if anyone else had the issue in case they come back and say they can't replicate or find the problem.

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags

I have a noise that sounds like the rear leaf springs during tight turn/backup maneuvers. I also hear it if I am on a road or hill that causes the rear end to flex. Not 100% sure it isn't normal, but I seem to just be noticing it now at 5000 miles, so not sure if this is a new noise or I just never noticed.

• Like 1

Jeff48,

I am sorry to learn that are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding hearing a popping noise. I would like to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me referencing this thread including your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership?

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Yes, I have a popping noise when I take off from a dead stop. It doesn't do it all the time. At one point, I thought it might be the gas sloshing back and forth in the gas tank. But its hard to pin point. This similar noise happened with my 07. It end up being the front slip yoke on the drive shaft. GM had a bulletin on it. They removed my drive shaft and put a special grease on the yoke and I guess it made it slip better on the trans output shaft. The problem never came back after the dealer did that. But, I believe GM fixed that issue? I contacted my dealer on my popping noise and added it to the list for my 2014 truck. Waiting to hear back on my issues.

I noticed a noise this morning. It sounded like when I had caliper bushings go bad on one of my old cars the caliper would rattle around.

I'm not saying that's what it is I'm just saying it's the same kind of sound...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Edited by BringTheRain403

I have noticed the same problem this week, and I'm at 2600 miles. Though I generally here it whenever I am going over a bump that torque the rear of the truck side to side, like pulling out into a road where there is a little rain ditch between the sidewalk and asphalt.

Tonight I heard a louder pop and a slight jerk/vibration from under the bed when I started slowing down for a red-light. Got home and checked under the truck, didn't see anything out of whack and it had rode fine the rest of the way.

Going to take it to my dealer tomorrow.

I started having this noise happen around 3,000 miles (5.3, Z71, standard box). It would always occur between 5-15 mph. It was kind of a rattling noise coming from the rear end, sounding something like a bad U-joint or a posi-traction noise like something was loose. After 15mph the sound would go away. I made an appointment with dealership. He stated that no one had been in for servicing with that problem and made that quote all service writers have, "if we can't duplicate it, we can't fix it". My rear end noise went away about 200 miles ago, so I never took it in. Curious what other dealerships are doing to resolve the issue.

If you guys have the skid plate on the gas tank (z71) hit it with your palm and see if it loose. The skid plate is only held on with two bolts and two slots on the other side, slightly bend the slots to take up the slop. Not saying this is the sound your hearing but it was really loose on my truck and you could hear it when you would shut the passenger rear door hard.

I had this exact issue so I left the truck overnight with my dealer. He was able to diagnose it by having the truck cold in the morning and found it to be a defective Rancho shock in the rear end (Z71). Apparently the shock was locking up when cold in the morning but would cycle fine once warm. He replaced the shock and noise has been gone since. Hope this helps.

• Like 3