Popping noise from under the bed area?

Bbowen -

Same exact thing with me. Seems to only do it when cold... and only for a few min. Maybe wet vs dry outside could have something to do with it. don't know.. because it's not happening all the time.

I would call it more of a "creaking" sound under the bed. Definitely not a pop.. my guess would be a body mount bushing ... or maybe shocks

anyways.. like you ... I havent mentioned to dealer. Not bad enough, plus I would have to leave it overnight.. and they likely would say nothing is wrong..

Hello all,

I'm having the same issue. The noise is usually in the mornings and seems to be coming from the back of the truck when in motion at low speed from a cold start. The noise goes away after a while, but the noise is a complete sore and the truck has only 3000 miles.

I have taken the truck to the dealership and had one of their techs ride with me, but the noise can't be replicated. Needless to say it is very frustrating, specially on a brand new truck that cost that much money.

I will be checking my shocks in the morning and visiting the dealership. Hopefully they can do something with the information about the shocks and take care of it.

I like the truck, its my second GMC Sierra, but I'm extremely disappointed that I'm having to go through this on a new vehicle.

Will post a follow up once I get with the dealer.

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT - Z71

Well, I think I've had it!!! It's time to cut my losses. I took my truck to a different dealership (Scholfield GMC Wichita KS) to get a second opinion. That was a nightmare. I'm not sure how the warranty works between the dealership and GM...but something isn't adding up...because it's as if the dealership does not give a damn about this concern. First of all they were very condescending. They say they can hear the noise but it takes a lot to make it happen. They had the balls to tell me that it only happens if I accelerate too fast. And the person that put this in the report didn't even do a ride along with me...in fact I never met him. The tech that originally did a ride along wasn't even involved...even though he knows the truth. Are you kidding me!!! They were complete assholes! The noise happens all the time at normal acceleration from a stop. I'm tempted to get an attorney to find out what my rights are in just making GM buy this vehicle back. I am extremely unhappy about this. This vehicle only has 1500 miles on it. So if anyone is interested...I will sell this vehicle for 44k. It's about what I have in it (a little more actually...since I've had the windows tinted and OEM mud flaps put on). It MSRP'd for $49425.00

• Like 1

This is a follow up on the popping noise on my 2014 GMC Sierra. As I mentioned in the above post...I've taken my truck to two different dealerships. Now then, I have become suspicious as to why these guys want to spend NO time on this issue. My suspicion being anything that might involve a GM manufacturers warranty. Because these places had no enthusiasm at all to find the problem. They didn't even try! So, to satisfy my suspicion. I made several phone calls today...I asked two different service managers...from two other dealerships about this...including the dealership I bought it from (out of state). Here is what I have learned about how warranties work between GM and the dealerships. I got these service managers to admit to me (after I blatantly asked) that most dealerships don't have any desire to spend any amount of time on a vehicle if it involves a GM manufacturers warranty. I was told by both guys that the dealerships get paid NO money by GM for diagnosis...and only get paid if they have something that blatantly has to be fixed or replaced...and even then...it's only a fraction of what the average person off the street has to pay. So, unless the issue sticks out like a sore thumb, they do not spend any time looking for the problem. I am ready to cut my losses. I look at it this way...I have 3 options...I can either keep spending time and relentlessly search for the issue...get an attorney to see what my rights are in getting GM to buy this vehicle back, sell it or trade it for different brand of vehicle. I've opened a ticket with GM...but I don't think it's going to do any good. One reason I went with brand new...is for the warranty...but so far that's turned out to be a joke. Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

Edited by mtwago
  • Like 1

I just read this entire thread in hopes of finding some answers to my new "noise." I also have the "thumping" noise, especially when crossing railroad tracks or other rough roads. Mine sounds like a softball bouncing off the sides of the bed. Based on what I've read here, mine sounds like it could be the right rear shock, or the spare tire. I am going to sray my rear shackles when I get a chance...It's raining now, until tomorrow morning. I don't have much hoep that spraying it will help. It's been my lcuk that probelms don't fix that easy! Just wanted to share my experiences along with the rest of you. I am gong to my service department Wednesday morning to see what they say.

Got a call from the Maintenance department at the dealership. They were not able to duplicate the problem until this morning, but are baffled on what's causing it... It's been 4 days now since I dropped off the truck. Not impressed.

Will let ya'll know what comes out of this, hopefully in the near future.

This is a follow up on the popping noise on my 2014 GMC Sierra. As I mentioned in the above post...I've taken my truck to two different dealerships. Now then, I have become suspicious as to why these guys want to spend NO time on this issue. My suspicion being anything that might involve a GM manufacturers warranty. Because these places had no enthusiasm at all to find the problem. They didn't even try! So, to satisfy my suspicion. I made several phone calls today...I asked two different service managers...from two other dealerships about this...including the dealership I bought it from (out of state). Here is what I have learned about how warranties work between GM and the dealerships. I got these service managers to admit to me (after I blatantly asked) that most dealerships don't have any desire to spend any amount of time on a vehicle if it involves a GM manufacturers warranty. I was told by both guys that the dealerships get paid NO money by GM for diagnosis...and only get paid if they have something that blatantly has to be fixed or replaced...and even then...it's only a fraction of what the average person off the street has to pay. So, unless the issue sticks out like a sore thumb, they do not spend any time looking for the problem. I am ready to cut my losses. I look at it this way...I have 3 options...I can either keep spending time and relentlessly search for the issue...get an attorney to see what my rights are in getting GM to buy this vehicle back, sell it or trade it for different brand of vehicle. I've opened a ticket with GM...but I don't think it's going to do any good. One reason I went with brand new...is for the warranty...but so far that's turned out to be a joke. Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

This is a follow up to this post...and it may concern several people. There was a major find on what could be the answer to my problem. I took my truck to a third dealership (a Chevrolet dealership…even though my truck is a GMC). I had to take it in anyway for the recall on the computer. FINALLY! A dealership that cares enough about customers to go the extra mile. They explained to me as well, how the warranty on a new vehicle works between dealerships and GM…that mechanics get paid by the job…and GM does NOT pay or reimburse them for a diagnosis on warranty work. However, they also explained how their particular dealership pay structure is different from most other dealerships so that the mechanic is not at a complete wage loss for doing a diagnosis…so they spend extra time in trying to find the problem. And, I’m glad they did. And I’m glad the mechanic that is working on it enjoys solving puzzles (his words). AGAIN, THIS IS A MAJOR FIND!! To make a long story short (by the way my truck is still in the shop and will be for the next possible 2 weeks)…their suspicion was the same as mine…that the noise was drive train related. To begin with, they tried different things with the drive shaft…and were able to eliminate any problems there. They tightened a few other things (by the way, my front transfer case mount was loose). Finally, they pulled the cover off the differential. GUESS WHAT…THEY FOUND METALS SHAVINGS…LOTS OF METAL SHAVINGS! They called me in to inform and show me what they had found. They had already notified GENERAL MOTORS! There is a regional Rep on his way there this week. They have documented it and taken pictures. Now for the rest of the story. It appears that the vendor who GM bought this particular differential from had actually drilled the fill hole after it had been completely assembled and left the shavings inside (at least this is their speculation)!! Some of the shavings were curly cue in nature…the way metal spirals when drilled (for anyone that knows anything about drilling or machining metal…will know what I’m talking about). Anyway, they pulled the bearings, gears and everything else and showed me the result. Not only was there a huge amount of play in the gears…but the gears, along with the bearings and races were pitted very badly. They explained that it showed the same wear as a vehicle with over 100k miles on it. MY TRUCK ONLY HAS 1600K MILES ON IT. They went on to explain this will trigger a major investigation with GM…which will more than likely result in a Service Bulletin and/or Recall for all the differentials that were built by this vendor. In the meantime…they are replacing the entire differential…not just rebuilding it or replacing the gears…but an entire differential…casing and all!!! I hope this helps someone else! I know this has been an eye opener for me!!

Edited by mtwago
  • Like 3

Wonder of this could be the cause of some the vibration issues certain members having? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure...but everyone needs to be diligent in dealing with these Dealerships and General Motors in trying to find these issues. Because if you aren't...then they will not do anything about it...until it actually breaks! The problem with that is...by that time it could be out of warranty. It's sad that GM operates this way...especially after we (the tax payer) bailed them out!!!

Got under mine today and sprayed the rear spring shackles with WD-40 and stopped the noise...somethimes it is much easier to "do it yourself" than screw with the warranty people..

Revised***** Took mine in for the recall update and service dept determined that the rear Rancho shocks need to be replaced....will be installed 1-28-14 and hopefully cures the popping noise......if not I will post; if cured I'll be happy! :happysad:

Edited by gjk1932

Have you checked the U bolts that attach the rear axle to the leaf springs? Make sure everything is tight. To check if the rear locker is performing properly, drive the truck partially off road with two right wheels on soft ground and two left wheels on hard pavement. Then take off using moderate throttle. You should hear squealing of the left rear tire on the pavement if the diferential locks as it should. Check if there are any unusual noises associated with the differential locking.

Edited by pm26