Popping noise from under the bed area?

On my 2007, I ordered Bilstien 4600's all around but they sent me the ones for the 2007 Classic silverado by accident. The shocks up front were wrong but the ones in the rear still fit. My mechanic who installed them said they would still work in the back but I'm anal about these things and called Bilstein to ask them if the rear shocks would work or if I needed the correct part number. The guy on the phone claimed they were valved differently on the new body style truck versus the classic. I guess that kind of makes sense with regards to vehicle weight and suspension characteristics. I ended up returning the wrong shocks and waited for the correct shocks for my truck. Long story short with these 2014's being different than the 2013's, I personally want to wait until Bilstein comes out with a specific shock and part number for these trucks.

In that thread, a few guys actually called/talked to Bilstein. I doubt the valving would be off very much even if they did release a 2014+ specific rear shock. A rear shock on a leaf sprung rear end...is pretty standard all around.

Dealer installed a new shock. Cant really tell if there is a difference yet. No noises though.

My dad's 2003 Suburban makes the same noise in the back. My dad claims it always made that noise which tells me it's the leaf springs if that's the case. I think his started after my cousin installed Rancho shocks on it because I don't remember ever hearing the noise the first few years he had it. Either way I think it's a suspension issue that's not bad or dangerous, just annoying.

My dad's 2003 Suburban makes the same noise in the back. My dad claims it always made that noise which tells me it's the leaf springs if that's the case. I think his started after my cousin installed Rancho shocks on it because I don't remember ever hearing the noise the first few years he had it. Either way I think it's a suspension issue that's not bad or dangerous, just annoying.

Well the shock was toast anyways. it was leaking oil. But my service writer says that GM allows for a little bit of oil to leak from those shocks...says its normal...lmao

Well the shock was toast anyways. it was leaking oil. But my service writer says that GM allows for a little bit of oil to leak from those shocks...says its normal...lmao

haha yeah Bilstiens don't leak. In fact a leaking shock is a sign of shock failure. I'm so sick of the "this is normal" line when GM or a dealer doesn't want to face a problem.

I would like to add to this thread.

I have been noticing a clunk / thunk noise coming from the rear of the truck when traversing uneven terrain and bumps, mainly on the dirt road leading in to my neighborhood. I thought it was a shock as many in this thread have concluded. So, this weekend, I had someone shake my truck side to side using the rear hand hold stake pocket while I was under the truck. I found that it is deep tone metal to metal thunk on the backside of the passenger rear wheel. I immediately called the dealership and took my truck in. When I got there, the service writer went to get the tech who diagnosed this exact noise just 2 weeks ago as a heat shield. When I shook the truck for the tech and the sound immediately repeated as it it did in my driveway, he did not hesitate to tell me that it was normal for any solid axle vehicle to have slack and that noise is the slack being taken up. My wife and I both questioned him as I have not ever heard this type of noise (plus you can actually feel it when you put your hand on the center cap) and he swore that it was normal. I've not shaken any trucks on thier lot, but I will be soon.

Has anyone else heard of this? Am I being paranoid? Is this normal?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my 2014 Silverado now for 8 months & 13,000 miles, it still makes the creaking and popping noises on damp or rainy days. I had the dealership look at the truck three times now and they cannot determine the problem because they cannot duplicate the noise. I am at a loss on what it is , if I was to guess I would say it's the Rancho shocks. I am temtpted to replace the shocks but struggle with paying for shocks on a new truck. Has anybody figured out the problem completely? What are the thoughts of damp wet days effecting the truck and bringing on the noise?

• 1 month later...

It's most likely the leaf springs. Had mine replaced... all good.

See my post under shakes and vibrations....dated 8-16-14....Replaced my rear springs...also cured my problem. (page 176)

Edited by gjk1932

• 2 months later...

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with 1400 miles on it. I just bought in September 2014, and my truck is producing the same sounds as the original poster of this thread. Just started around 1400 miles and I have only noticed in morning after sitting all night or also when wet/raining. I hear the popping (kinda like knuckles popping) when taking off from a dead stop but once I get speed up, i can't hear anymore. Then it does it again a few more times when I stop and start and then it just goes away until the next cold morning or wet outside. Sounds like its coming from back passenger side. Anybody know if anything came from this issue? It seems like many users have experienced this issue and most replys say shocks or leaf springs. Any more updates? thanks.

Edited by 06sierraman

My 2014 ext cab z71 has had the same problem for about 6 months. I've taken it to the dealer 4 times and had the leaf springs replaced and it still makes the noise everyone is describing. I'm really frustrated at this point. Has anyone found a solution????

Edited by Eaglecougar

I have my truck at the dealership as I write this. I too have had the noise had both rear shocks replaced and now that the weather has changed im positive it is the rear leaf springs. With that said has anybody had the below done and if so how long did it help or did it help at all?

Condition
Some customers may comment about a squeak noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. During normal operation, certain vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise that may be traced to the rear leaf springs. While this noise is an operating characteristic of leaf springs, the frequency and severity of this noise will be affected by the roads that the vehicle is driven on.

Cause
This condition may be due to debris getting between the leaf springs.

Correction
To correct this condition, lubricate the rear leaf springs using the following procedure.

Important: It has been found that the application of grease to the rear leaf springs does a better job of preventing the noise from reoccurring than replacement of the spring.

Raise the vehicle on a frame lift-type hoist.
Inspect the springs for damage. If none is found, proceed to the next step.
Pressure wash the rear leaf springs to remove as much dirt and grit as possible.
Dry the springs with compressed air.

Apply a liberal amount of grease, P/N 12345996 (in Canada, use P/N 10953501), under the front and rear tip inserts for the #2 and #3 leaves, on top of the tip inserts, and in between the #1 and #2, and #2 and #3 leaves, as indicated below. A screwdriver can be used to gently pry up the tip insert; however, a rag around the screwdriver must be used to prevent damage to the spring. Use a flat-bladed tool, such as a gasket scraper to properly distribute the grease.
Lower the vehicle to the ground and test drive to verify the repair.
Please inform the customer that this will offer relief, it is by no means a lifetime repair. Periodic cleanings and grease re-application may be necessary throughout the life of the vehicle.