Popping noise from under the bed area?

Good morning all!,

I wish I had good news for everyone, but unfortunately I don't. I have taken the truck to the dealership 7 or 8 times already and it seems that this is not going away. They have thrown bogus repairs to address the problem but nothing is sticking.

Yesterday I got a call from the repair manager and someone that identified himself as the district representative or something along those lines and they said that they could not replicate the problem and that it was up to me to show them the issue and that they did not knew of any other owners having the same issue. I was kind of disappointed with the statement and upset at the same time, because the noises as many of you are experiencing are usually directly associated with the weather conditions, so my answer to them was if they wanted me to order or replicate the weather as well so they can fix my issue and that like me there were several others with "professional grade" issues.

The most recent recall has been done on my truck and it has been at the dealership for a week I will pick it up today and have some discussions with the dealership to figure out what is the next steps. This situation is exhausting and its costing me money every time I have to leave the truck with them.

I will post if there is anything positive after I talk with them.

Good luck to all!

I have determined on my 06 GMC Sierra 4x4 that the rear leaf springs were the problem. I ended up loosening up the u bolts holding the leafs together to where the leafs had plenty of gap in them and i sprayed a teflon lube between each leaf. I then changed out the u bolts with new ones also new shackle bolts and bushing and tightened it all back down. The truck hasn't made a popping noise since. It has been almost a year since i done this work.

Rear rancho shocks replaced by dealer. Problem solved!!

There is a bulletin in the dealer's online service manual on this.

Guys: this problem has been haunting me on my new 14 for the first 9000 miles. It's been getting progressively worse. More prominent when wet and when turning left. I initially thought shocks, then in my mind went through every other possibility from pinion nut to differential, I inspected springs, brakes, body mounts, fuel tank, on and on. I finally took a picture of my shock with the rub marks, oil, and dust on it and a bare metal spot near its upper mount where the undercoating had been rubbed off.

I finally said to myself - you're overthinking this. Insisted based on this physical evidence that dealer replace shock. They did the one and told me they were doing the second one because it was 'blown out' also. I'm ecstatic. No longer any noise at all, and the rear end is a whole lot less jumpy than it was. Drives much better. I think everyone with this problem should insist on replacing the ranchos. They must have had a bad run or something.

Edited by nspec

• 1 month later...

I think I have this issue. Been noticing a creak/squeek from my rear end in lower speeds. My rear shocks have gunk on them, but i cant tell if its road grime or what.

Also i inspected my leaf springs and it looks like my passenger side set is slightly out of alignment, meaning not all the leafs are lined up with each other. The bottom one sticks out about 1/4", then the one above that about 1/8". I wonder if that is also causing the problem.

I am going to talk to my guy at the dealer to see if there is a tsb.

I think I have this issue. Been noticing a creak/squeek from my rear end in lower speeds. My rear shocks have gunk on them, but i cant tell if its road grime or what.

Also i inspected my leaf springs and it looks like my passenger side set is slightly out of alignment, meaning not all the leafs are lined up with each other. The bottom one sticks out about 1/4", then the one above that about 1/8". I wonder if that is also causing the problem.

I am going to talk to my guy at the dealer to see if there is a tsb.

Your leaf springs need to be re torqued they sometimes move after they settle in.

This is common practise in the suspension industry to re torque shackles and leafs after 1000 miles.

My 2013 sierra's leaf springs moved at least 1" I had it retorqued and the shackle bolts too.

Edited by 2strokesmoke

Your leaf springs need to be re torqued they sometimes move after they settle in.

This is common practise in the suspension industry to re torque shackles and leafs after 1000 miles.

My 2013 sierra's leaf springs moved at least 1" I had it retorqued and the shackle bolts too.

Thanks. I sent an email over to my guy at the dealership. They treat me pretty well, so I am not really worried.

I'll post an update when i find more info out.

I am on my 3rd pair of shocks as the previous two pair have blown. Each time replacing the shocks has fixed the popping sound.

Could the shackles and leafs needing to be retorqued be the pro lem why I keep going through shocks?

Doubt it. The Rancho's could just be crappy shocks that bust out easily.

Dropped my truck off this morning at the dealer and I just got a call from my service writer. He says the tech went over the rear suspension and made sure everything was tight. I made it a point to ask if they realigned the spring pack that was out of whack...he didn't know. I asked him to have the spring pack realigned so that all the leafs are in order, since I cant imagine having them all out of whack is a good thing.

He did say they are ordering a new right rear shock (free) and its coming in tomorrow morning. The one on there now does have some black stuff all over it, but I kinda thought it was exhaust from the seep hole on the muffler which is close by. But if they wanna replace the shock, there might be a chance this is the issue.

Meanwhile I am driving a loaner Sierra until tomorrow when they swap out the shock.

Guess I will see if this fixes the issue.

I noticed this problem today for the first time. Truck has 3700 miles on it. It has been raining since yesterday morning (so 2 days of rain) and the temperature this morning when I drove to work was 65 degrees F. Like some have described, the noise stopped after a few minutes of driving. It's definitely either the rear leaf springs or the rear shocks. Rancho's are notorious for being shitty and blowing out after minimal usage. I wish Bilstein would hurry up and make shocks for these trucks.

I noticed this problem today for the first time. Truck has 3700 miles on it. It has been raining since yesterday morning (so 2 days of rain) and the temperature this morning when I drove to work was 65 degrees F. Like some have described, the noise stopped after a few minutes of driving. It's definitely either the rear leaf springs or the rear shocks. Rancho's are notorious for being shitty and blowing out after minimal usage. I wish Bilstein would hurry up and make shocks for these trucks.

I think bilstiens for a 2013 will fit the mounts for out back. Pretty standard set up. Not sure about the coilovers up front though.

*edit*

See this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153551-bilstein-adjustable-for-2014/page-2

Edited by fondupot

I think bilstiens for a 2013 will fit the mounts for out back. Pretty standard set up. Not sure about the coilovers up front though.

*edit*

See this thread:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153551-bilstein-adjustable-for-2014/page-2

On my 2007, I ordered Bilstien 4600's all around but they sent me the ones for the 2007 Classic silverado by accident. The shocks up front were wrong but the ones in the rear still fit. My mechanic who installed them said they would still work in the back but I'm anal about these things and called Bilstein to ask them if the rear shocks would work or if I needed the correct part number. The guy on the phone claimed they were valved differently on the new body style truck versus the classic. I guess that kind of makes sense with regards to vehicle weight and suspension characteristics. I ended up returning the wrong shocks and waited for the correct shocks for my truck. Long story short with these 2014's being different than the 2013's, I personally want to wait until Bilstein comes out with a specific shock and part number for these trucks.