Popping noise from under the bed area?

so they fixed your truck but you still want to trade it under the lemon law???? just an fyi if you take legal action towards GM they will no longer talk to you, and if you try and call them and talk about it, the min you give them your info a "red flag" will pop up and they will tell you that they cannot talk to you about anything since you are taking legal action. your best bet is to just keep it civil. I don't know what all you know about vehicles but no matter what brand you go with you will have problems. I am a GM guy and I will prob never buy a ford or dodge due to some of their dumbs s**** they call engineers. but even though im a GM guy I know GM vehicles will have issues ESPECIALLY first year vehicles. fords have their own separate problems, go search a f150 forum and see what you find. ford still cant get their coil on plug issue ironed out and they have had issues with those since 05-06... they get misfires randomly, you think your clunk/pop/creak noise is bad, try driving a truck that misfires at low rpms including idle.

im glad you got your truck fixed and it seems that the service tech found some possible issues with other k2's.

I have a question for you "thewhitestallion"...do you work for GM?

• 2 weeks later...

mtwago,

Yes, I know all about random misfires and the dreaded P0300 code. I drive a 97 GMC with the first generation Vortec 5700 engine. You know....that marvelous piece of superior GM garbage where some penny pincher in senior management thought he'd score some brownie points resulting in a healthy year end bonus by approving the CSFI system with poppet valves, plastic intake manifold gaskets, and Qty-8 bolts to secure the intake manifold to the engine block resulting in a lifetime of antifreeze leaks.

You know.....where in 1997 GM decided to install VSS (variable speed steering). Nothing nicer than cruising down the road at 40-50 mpg while taking a nice wide sweeping turn and the steering wheel jerks violently out of your hands causing you to almost crash!! Thousands and thousands of complaints back in the day at NHTSA's website and not one GM recall to fix the problem. Guess not enough folks lost their lives to this horrific GM design flaw. Quarterly profit come first and foremost.

About 2 years into owning it since 99', I picked up an OBD-II scanner just so I could erase the ECM codes and not have to bear looking at that stupid Check Engine Light start blinking then glowing bright orange every time I want to romp on the throttle.

Edited by 97SierraSLT

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is still making the same noise from rear suspension 7K miles.

Well, it may not be coming from the rear suspension. The dealership thought the noise on my truck was coming from the rear suspension also. But, it turned out to be the transmission. I can't remember what exactly they had to replace and adjust...but it did finally fix it. They had my truck for a month before it was finally fixed. I'm just glad I finally found a dealership that would take the time and put in the effort to find it. Because as I've stated before...unless they can blatantly see something is broken, or it involves a service bulletin or recall...most dealerships will not bother looking for the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

So after months of dealing with this noise I finally got mine fixed. I wanted to put an exhaust on my truck but before doing so I wanted the noise fixed so its not harder to hear with the exhaust. The noise I was hearing was a series of squeaks when accelerating from a dead stop. For me it was often worse when turning left as well. It only happens for a few seconds then stops when up to speed. When its wet out the sound is much worse and happens ever time I stop then move. I figured with the noise I would give the dealership a chance to try and fix it since I was taking my truck in for an oil change. Of course I made the appointment on a day it was suppose to rain but never did. When I arrived at the dealer the truck would not make the noise so the tech took it threw a sprayer to try and duplicate it. Of course no luck. He asked me to drive the truck with him and it only made the sound once. Based off that one sound and describing to him when and how it happens he was thinking it was the leaf springs. So when doing the oil change and the truck was on the lift he placed some lithium grease on the rubber cushions between the spring ends. Surprisingly it fixed the problem. It has rained for two days since then and not one sound. I was very impressed the dealership fixed this that quick with only hearing the sound once. So for those who have similar issues you could probably spray the areas with some wd40 to see if it resolves it. Its not the bushings in the shackles but the pads between the leafs.

Brought my truck in Monday because the whole rear end was thumping around. GMC said the "bed was not bolted down properly and they have been seeing this quite a bit with trucks arriving from the factory..." I was like okay, whatever. They 'bolted it down' and sent me on my way and no sound for 3 days. Then this morning on the way to work, BAM! same noise, even louder. I went right to the dealer, stood on the back bumper and just moved a little up and down the the whole back up was thumping. They took it about 3 hours ago and just called me saying its my trailer hitch... I called BS over the phone because the hitch has been installed since day two of my purchasing the truck so why would it start making this sound all of a sudden and is it just ironic that the same sound is identical to the 'loose bed' sound from this Monday?! He was just silent and said he couldn't explain it, but after removing my hitch the sound went away. Im willing to put money on it that something else was wrong and they're embarrassed/scared to tell me so they blamed it on my hitch. I'm going to re install it right in front of them and be like, hmmm no sound so what was really the problem your hiding?

Edited by bladz1454

So after 8400+ miles, my Silverado still makes the creaking and popping sounds. Definitely seems more prevalent on wet or damp days and at low speeds and/or accelerating from dead stop. I brought this up to the dealership before but of course they couldn't replicate. It's really a shame that a brand new truck makes sounds like this. I will make time to take to dealership again. I really wish I knew if it was the shocks, leaf spring, etc..

I've had this truck since I got back from deployment in September of last year and have had this problem since I bought it. Specifically made this account to post my problems along with everyone else. I get the creak at low speeds or even stopped if I shake around in the cab. Doesn't really do it when dry but if it's been raining, the thing creeks like hell. It's kind of embarrassing to drive a $40K truck to creek like an old junker. I've been to the dealership about 4 times trying to get this thing to creek in front of them. It's getting silly at this point.

-

It's a video of a mazda but the sound between 1:15 to 1:20 is the exact noise I'm hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTB_lbl_3q4 -

Also in this video between 0:05 to 0:15 is the noise I'm hearing. I'm hooking

Edited by Kiowa88

Here is a proposed fix:

Dip the whole truck in a vat of warm motor oil for about 15 minutes.

But all joking aside, this is really unacceptable. There obviously is very lax quality control at the factory and somebody is not doing their job.

If I owned one of those vehicles, I would check every accessible chassis and suspension nut and bolt for tightness, check every bushing and spring mount. I would also pay particular attention to body on frame mount bolts. I know that in the past some people who installed nerf bars had creaking due to body mount bolts not being tight enough. Do not leave anything to chance.

Edited by pm26

Mine has been getting drastically worse in the past two weeks. I'm going to crawl under there today and see what I can do...

As for everyone posting mileage and thinking its break in or whatever; I'm at 20k miles and it definitely worse than ever. If I discover anything I'll post back.

Mine has been getting drastically worse in the past two weeks. I'm going to crawl under there today and see what I can do...

As for everyone posting mileage and thinking its break in or whatever; I'm at 20k miles and it definitely worse than ever. If I discover anything I'll post back.

Well, obviously your truck is breaking (without the "in" word).

UPDATE & FIX

I start by saying that I was getting a squeaking sound from under the rear drivers side and the same strange noise that I cant explain from somewhere between center to passenger side. This second noise is the same that most of you are describing on here where it is more noticeable when you're making left turns.

I crawled under my bed to first tighten my u-bolts since I have lifting blocks installed in the rear. They were not loose but non the less I did tighten them.

I then bounced the bed up and down standing on the bumper step, I could still hear the sound but could not figure out exactly where it was coming from. I got another person to do the same thing while I was under the truck. I noticed the drivers side rear shock was squeaking and also moving. I tightened up that and repeated the same process for the passenger side. Passenger side shock was loose but not making any squeaking sound; it was more clunking around. I tightened both rear shocks on the bottom mounts and all sounds are gone. This would explain why one person said they got new shocks and the sound was gone but then came back.

I also noticed that the break line support running down the drivers side rubs on the line when causes another squeak. I bent the bracket so its not directly rubbing the line.

I've test drove it last night and heard nothing. I drove 40 miles into work this morning and didn't get anything either. Hope this helps other people so they can fix it in their driveway instead of leaving it with the dealership for who knows how long

For those who just want the fix:

***I tightened both rear shocks on the bottom mounts and all sounds are gone***

Well, obviously your truck is breaking (without the "in" word).

I wouldn't say it was breaking since I found the problem but that's the whole reason for that post. I wanted to let people know that its not something that will go away...