What have you done to your K2 today?

Also you can see the rare earth magnets from Home Depot I put on the oil filter.

Are these neodymium magnets? Heat will demagnetize neo magnets, with some having a working temp of less than 180 degrees. Do you have any trouble with them losing strength?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Granite7 said:

Are these neodymium magnets? Heat will demagnetize neo magnets, with some having a working temp of less than 180 degrees. Do you have any trouble with them losing strength?

Not yet. They have been on there for at least a year and still plenty strong. They are sticking to the outside of the oil filter. I don't know what the normal oil temperature is inside the filter but the amount transferred to the magnets would be a little less. The  temperature chart I found online says that 176*F is the working temperature for the majority of the brand magnets I am using on my filter. There are some that rated to operate at a higher temperature tolerance. All that being said I expect to find them gone at every oil change so far but have been surprised, they are still sticking very well. I expect them to last for a long time.

• Like 1

Soo.... I’ve never actually done this before never really thought much about it until today and I decided to change my air filter inside the cab . I never had a vehicle that it even crossed my mind to check. This is 60k worth of crap. Going to definitely be on my maintenance list.
d3836d4d93106fe6bb822d4545ef778a.jpg

• Like 3

Not yet. They have been on there for at least a year and still plenty strong. They are sticking to the outside of the oil filter. I don't know what the normal oil temperature is inside the filter but the amount transferred to the magnets would be a little less. The  temperature chart I found online says that 176*F is the working temperature for the majority of the brand magnets I am using on my filter. There are some that rated to operate at a higher temperature tolerance. All that being said I expect to find them gone at every oil change so far but have been surprised, they are still sticking very well. I expect them to last for a long time.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking with an engine temp of 210 vs 176 on the magnets, it was worth checking into.

And my project for the day is Husky mudflaps to hopefully tame some of the rocks we have so many of in Colorado. Amazon Warehouse deal for $40 for all 4 wheels. Damaged packaging, perfect product!

f0949aca0637e4370052256946514bb5.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking with an engine temp of 210 vs 176 on the magnets, it was worth checking into.

And my project for the day is Husky mudflaps to hopefully tame some of the rocks we have so many of in Colorado. Amazon Warehouse deal for $40 for all 4 wheels. Damaged packaging, perfect product!

f0949aca0637e4370052256946514bb5.jpg

I have the same flaps. I’m happy with them!

Finally able to get over to my friend’s house with a lift and threw on my Carven Competitor exhaust. Sounds great in the garage. Haven’t actually driven it yet. Drooling over his old school GS 400.

Edit: Sounds really good. Pretty aggressive tone. Also sounds quieter than I was expecting. Doesn’t even sound bad in V4 mode, but doesn’t sound good either but you can tell it’s in V4. No noticeable drone to me.

2bee2ada6869427d795694cbf4c25903.jpg

a8d10fe912b7b769eaf353b74e718353.jpg

• Like 2

Finally able to get over to my friend’s house with a lift and threw on my Carven Competitor exhaust. Sounds great in the garage. Haven’t actually driven it yet. Drooling over his old school GS 400.

Edit: Sounds really good. Pretty aggressive tone. Also sounds quieter than I was expecting. Doesn’t even sound bad in V4 mode, but doesn’t sound good either but you can tell it’s in V4. No noticeable drone to me.

2bee2ada6869427d795694cbf4c25903.jpg

a8d10fe912b7b769eaf353b74e718353.jpg

Sound clip?

Here’s the reason why I’m putting mud guard on. These rock chips are relentless. The first pic is a big paint flake knocked off. The second pic is not dirt - those are all paint dings.
5a3461822986da4c9344372a6c883b45.jpgd88fd8689df6c4ef3177bd49f5643e85.jpg

Thanks to these tiny gems, I didn’t have to remove the wheels.
fb00717f413a789ece0330e5a9569e6d.jpg

And here are the front and rear installations. I used the clips in the rear instead of drilling.
040647cd4e662d908073bc58eb645dfb.jpg875396d74daab38b7de91c91500d92a5.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/6/2019 at 3:14 PM, Eddie 70 said:

Changed the oil and filter this morning and greased the tie rod ends and upper ball joints.

Picture of my Fumoto valve in use. Also you can see the rare earth magnets from Home Depot I put on the oil filter.

Fumoto Drain  Valve.jpg

Playing devil's advocate here...

Won't those magnets affect the spring that is directly on the other side of them? I know they had to change the spring specifications on the oil filters to support the new requirements of these direct injection motors. I would be careful trying an "old school" fix for a perfectly acceptable oil filtration system. IMO you're better suited to having a heavy magnet on your drain plug than in the oil filter. Just my 2¢

• Like 2