What have you done to your K2 today?

Next up. Trans fluid, filter, pan change, and thermostat delete.
1AE3A3EF-C1DA-4712-A219-04EE6339022C.thumb.jpeg.7eca8fea42c98eb0c4577ae93dd31e5e.jpeg

6 speed or 8 speed trans? I'd like to add a deeper pan but I'd like to offroad my truck next year and having some space between my fabricated skid and pan would be nice. Post pics of how low it hangs once installed? That'd a solid upgrade [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 speed or 8 speed trans? I'd like to add a deeper pan but I'd like to offroad my truck next year and having some space between my fabricated skid and pan would be nice. Post pics of how low it hangs once installed? That'd a solid upgrade [emoji108]

Instead of deeper pan, you can add a trans cooler (tru-cool 40k) and do a trans thermostat mod (look it up on YT... it’s free and reversible if needed. Takes 5 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Instead of deeper pan, you can add a trans cooler (tru-cool 40k) and do a trans thermostat mod (look it up on YT... it’s free and reversible if needed. Takes 5 mins.

Ah! I totally forgot about that route! I read that in here once before and absolutely forgot. Good call [emoji106]

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, VanguardK2 said:

6 speed or 8 speed trans? I'd like to add a deeper pan but I'd like to offroad my truck next year and having some space between my fabricated skid and pan would be nice. Post pics of how low it hangs once installed? That'd a solid upgrade emoji108.png

6 speed. If the weather stays warm, shooting for this weekend to install. From what I’ve seen, install will be complicated by GM’a ingenious idea to run the exhaust crossmember right over the trans pan. Install pics to follow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WSFD6107 said:

6 speed. If the weather stays warm, shooting for this weekend to install. From what I’ve seen, install will be complicated by GM’a ingenious idea to run the exhaust crossmember right over the trans pan. Install pics to follow.

2x4 and ratchet strap is your friend.  Does that pan have a drain bolt on it?  I would love to just drain and fill more often...

6 minutes ago, jaimeastin said:

2x4 and ratchet strap is your friend.  Does that pan have a drain bolt on it?  I would love to just drain and fill more often...

Yes it does. One of the main reasons I bought it. I’ve watched a couple of videos of guys using  the 2x4 and ratchet strap. This pan is a little thicker than the stock at its thinnest point. Hopefully I can get enough clearance.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, Raven Z71 said:

Well, that is my sister-in-law and brother.  She was the driver. They were both in the vehicle when they hit my truck. 😠

take a screen shot of the moment of impact and have a 10X12 print made and give it to them as a anniversary gift next year lol

or hang it up somewhere obvious at home so every time they come over it's front and center lol

that's how my family roll's lol 

I skidded out in the rain into my wife's aunt's car one time years ago, totally random leaving the post office she just happened to work around the corner didn't even know it was her car till she came outside oops oh **** lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yesterday I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, cabin air filter, and dropped the blower motor to clear out debris that fell into it as a result of removing the old cabin air filter.

Today I am having the dealer drop the tranny pan, let it drain, check the magnet, install a new filter, and put that back together. I couldn't find anyplace local who accepts used antifreeze, so I'm having the dealer change that fluid out as well.

I'm at 111k and a little past due. Next I'll do the transaxle, then I've got rear brakes (at least) to do, and will exchange the brake fluid at that time.

GMC schedule for these does not indicate a need to change out the diff fluid...does anyone have any facts to the contrary, or at least an educated opinion on that?

Just coming back to the forums after a long winter and noticing I forgot to post that I added railcaps to close off my stake pockets. Huge fan. Full details in my build thread: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/239297-turtl3ups-2018-silverado/?do=findComment&comment=2506628.

I also had my first oil change with the Fumoto valve and my. god. I feel like I've discovered fire. What barbarians we all were with simple plugs in the past. I'll be installing these on all my vehicles and recommending them to anyone who'll listen.

Can also say that after a winter of using this washer fluid mix, I can highly recommend the Prestone. It cleans well, doesn't freeze, and there's a lovely subtle orange scent that makes its way into the cabin every time I spray, it's great. I really don't think the rain-x additive added anything and if I were you, I'd just skip it.

After.jpg

Edited by Turtl3Up
  • Like 2

Ok so these fumoto valves; I was toying with the idea of putting one on my ATV a couple yrs ago and I didn’t because someone mentioned the valve got all jacked up from trail riding. And wouldn’t open and then wouldn’t close, And I started thinking would I also NOT want one on my truck etc for the same reason? And thinking about salt and ice/snow in the northeast? Will these things hold up to that and not leak for years??? Looking for real opinions cuz I know alotta you guys have em and I don’t think I’ve ever polled a forum about it, and I have no personal experience.

Ok so these fumoto valves; I was toying with the idea of putting one on my ATV a couple yrs ago and I didn’t because someone mentioned the valve got all jacked up from trail riding. And wouldn’t open and then wouldn’t close, And I started thinking would I also NOT want one on my truck etc for the same reason? And thinking about salt and ice/snow in the northeast? Will these things hold up to that and not leak for years??? Looking for real opinions cuz I know alotta you guys have em and I don’t think I’ve ever polled a forum about it, and I have no personal experience.

I ordered one and plan to stick the old one in the tool box. For $30, it’s pretty damn convenient until it’s not and you can easily throw the old one back on.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, Raven Z71 said:

Funny that you mention clear coat.  My truck was literally taken out of storage this week and right before getting hit, local home improvement store employees scratched my tailgate a day prior to my in-law hitting my truck.  The truck is in the body shop right now with two different claims.  Needless  to say, it is having a rough week.  Here is what they did to the tailgate.  

20210304_162730.jpg

On 3/8/2021 at 10:24 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

Mine was white, like that, 9" long and about 1/2" wide.  A good friend of mine said that it would buff out, so I washed just that panel on the bed, dried it, waxed it, buffed it, and it's still kind of there. 

It rained a few times this morning, with more on the way, so excuse the "dirt."

Camera Lense Scrape.jpg

Camera Lense Scrape 2.jpg

Edited by Ravenkeeper
  • Sad 1