2014 2500HD LTZ Vibration - Passenger Seat Bobble Head

Frustrating! Seems like you have a good dealer and they are working on finding a resolution.

My 2011 has always had a slight vibration around 60-70 mph. Nothing crazy but you can feel it in the seat and see it if there is a bottled water in the cup holder.

Just replaced the stock Good Year SRA's with Michelin's and the shocks with Bilsteins. Have not had it on the highway yet to see if the vibration is gone.

This is what the stock shocks look like after 18k miles...... JUNK!

post-10313-0-51764100-1396301210_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

GM Field Engineer was supposed to be here this morning. I dropped the truck off at 7am and haven't heard anything since. Hopefully they are finding/correcting the issue. I drove ~100 miles on the Interstate Saturday and the best way I can describe it is the feeling you have after you've been weed eating for awhile and stop. Your body continues to feel like you're vibrating. I felt that for more than an hour driving down the road. Almost numbing. I decided to take backroads home and keep it under 60. Not exactly what I shelled out my cash for.

I know the feeling. Just stay on them give the engineer a chance. The engineer I dealt with wasn't satisfied until I was. Of course I stayed with him at the dealer through the whole process. It took a bit of time but was worth it.

I know the feeling. Just stay on them give the engineer a chance. The engineer I dealt with wasn't satisfied until I was. Of course I stayed with him at the dealer through the whole process. It took a bit of time but was worth it.

Ironic that you mention the wheel damage. After getting the new tires mounted this is what mine look like....

That's the quality GM wheels for ya... After owning a few GM trucks the first thing I did on my current 2500 was have the wheel weights put on the inside of the rim.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the latest Brian? Did they get the vibration issue fixed?

Steve and Brian, you have gas engines, not diesel correct?

Correct, Gasser.

Whats the latest Brian? Did they get the vibration issue fixed?

Steve and Brian, you have gas engines, not diesel correct?

Gas

The issue is not fixed. I will relay below to you how it was relayed to me from the service advisor as I didn't have time to spend the day there with the engineer.

I was called that evening and told that the engineer had a piece of equipment that he added to the road force balance machine to give a better reading. He found one of the new tires remained out of balance and ordered in 2 more. They kept my truck and the engineer came back on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening I was told that the truck was ready but they needed to clean it up and finish paperwork, so it wouldn't be ready until Thursday morning. I couldn't get there until Thursday at closing time to get the truck and flew out Friday morning so didn't get a chance to really drive it again at highway speeds until the following Monday.

When I picked up the truck, I was told that the engineer brought some sort of seismograph and set it on my console and the console of 3 other 2500's they had on the lot with the same tire/wheel combo and mine was definitely the worst. They tried the two new tires and it was close but still not great. They then swapped the tires/wheels off of Lot vehicle 1 and put them on mine and it rode terrible, Vehicle 2 and it was mediocre, Vehicle 3 and it rode great. They didn't touch them, cleaned it up and gave it back to me. I was told that the engineer would not have left if it was not fixed.

At this point, I have an email and a voicemail into the service manager asking him if they want another shot or if I need to proceed with buyback/lemon law.

I also had a coworker drive my truck. He has an '04 2500. He drove about 20 miles and came back and told me he was in awe that they'd told me my truck was right. He agrees it definitely is not.

There are TSB's explaining what they did to your truck. I have them on PDF for previous years trucks, but the issue and repair is the same. The last two TSB's have the specifics on a HD truck and the equipment used to measure vibrations from in the cab.

Bulletin No.: 00-03-10-006H

Date: July 19, 2012

Subject: Information on Tire Radial Force Variation (RFV)

Bulletin No.: 03-03-10-007G

Date: July 13, 2012

Subject: Information on Tire/Wheel Characteristics (Vibration, Balance, Shake, Flat Spotting) of GM Original Equipment

Bulletin No.: 12-03-10-001

Date: March 23, 2012

Subject: Vibration Shortly After Tires are Mounted/Preventing Vibration from Wheel Slip (Tire Sliding on Wheel)

Bulletin No.: 12-03-10-002

Date: November 26, 2012

Subject: Proper Wheel Installation and Wheel Torque Techniques

Bulletin No.: 10-03-10-001A

Date: October 12, 2012

Subject: Revised Wheel Balancer Mounting Instructions (HD Models Only)

Models:
2011-2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD-3500HD
2011-2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD-3500HD

Bulletin No.: 12-03-10-003

Date: December 07, 2012

Subject: Diagnostic Tips for Difficult to Resolve Tire/Wheel Vibration Concerns

At this point, I do not believe the problem to be related to tires/wheels. it's had 14 tires on it thus far and 8 wheels and still no improvement.

Some have had luck with the dealer swapping out the rear yoke and rebalancing the driveshafts. I wonder if it has to do with the very rigid frame and any vibration is felt?

Good morning Brian,
I have been researching your vehicle's concern before I responded.
On the particular wheel design that you have the weights cannot be placed on
the outside of the rim because the issues we just ran into will occur.
While the engineer was here he went through the process for your vehicle's
vibration. He contacted the platform engineer for your vehicle and gave him
the information collected. With the design of your truck for towing
capabilities with the snow plow option and readings from the vibration
analyzer he said the vehicle is operating as designed. With that being said
if you would like to have another dealer look into for you, please feel free
for a second opinion. But be advised if the weights are placed on the
outside of the rim you will have the marks that we just swapped out the
wheels for. Hope you have a blessed day.

Thanks,
David Beasley
Service Manager
Walker Chevrolet
[email protected]

So basically the dealership refuses to look into anything other than tires/wheels and because GM supplied me with wheels that must be balanced externally but will cause gashes in the wheels when the weights are removed, they don't want to touch it anymore. I guess I'll be sending a certified letter to GM requesting a buyback on Monday, give them 2 weeks and hope they make it right before I seek legal representation.

I wonder if it has to do with the very rigid frame and any vibration is felt?

I think that's probably a lot of it...the current frames are so rigid that every little vibration, bump, and wobble is being transmitted through the truck instead of being absorbed/dampened. A slightly imperfect balance or tire was absorbed before, whereas its transmitted through to where we can feel it. I'm surprised we haven't seen GM try an attempt to resolve it through cab mounts, spring bushings, or shocks. But on the same note, why do some trucks have the issues and others not so much (I have it, but its not aggressive, and only happens once and a while)?

I've often wondered, when reading these complaints, if you could find an old school tire shop and have a set of tires "trued" or "shaved"; and if that would solve a lot of the problem?

I'm considering trying balancing powder in the next set of tires to see if that works. I'm on the fence about that because I had really good success with it on one truck, and not so good on another. Or maybe a set of centrimatics? Something other than a static balance.

Archived