2014 GMC Sierra Sle z71 rust

Hello everyone I am a new owner of a certified pre owned 2014 GMC Sierra sle z71 (managers truck that he traded in for a 2015) the truck had barely any rust when I got it but then after two months of driving it through this rather harsh winter there has been quite a bit of accumulation lately. I just wanted to know if this amount of accumulation is normal

That is just how it is. Rocks chips the paint, then comes the rust.

Unless you have some underbody protection spray, this is going to happen for every carbon steel vehicle.

+1, Yeap, looks normal and sad. Mine has just gone through its first winter and looks just like yours, but what upsets me the most it the shocks are rusting and this ruins the look of the ranchos. I am ok but not happy with the rest as I always had GM trucks and this happens. But this is happening a lot earlier than my older trucks. Its going to suck in a few years to look at a black truck and see a brown rusty chassis.

Thank you everyone for the replies I'm going to the dealer soon for my regularly scheduled maintenance then I'll ask if they can coat the frame With some protective coating. I'm probably going to get a bds 6 in lift with fox rear shocks and leaf springs for the rear in the future anyway. I was just wondering if that was normal because it's the first Gm truck I have ever owned

Thank you everyone for the replies I'm going to the dealer soon for my regularly scheduled maintenance then I'll ask if they can coat the frame With some protective coating. I'm probably going to get a bds 6 in lift with fox rear shocks and leaf springs for the rear in the future anyway. I was just wondering if that was normal because it's the first Gm truck I have ever owned

I will say my uncle's 2014 F150 looks just as rusty. I think it's par for the course these days for manufacturers to skimp on coatings and quality in areas where the average owner/driver doesn't look.

Hi Hunter79,

Let us know if you need any additional assistance! Reach out to us in a private message if necessary. We are always happy to help the best way possible. We look forward to your updates from the dealership.

Patsy G

GM Customer Care

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 silverado z71 Purchased new and the entire frame is rusted.. I contacted a dealer and was advise of a bulletin for this issues. They are having problems with the wax coating peeling off the frames and if you had undercoating done to the truck it all falls off. Of course all of us owners out hear have not been contacted about this issue, they seem to be waiting for us to complain first because they dont want to deal with the issues. My frame is complete rust with undercoating or paint on the frame. I contacted the body shop at the dealer and was advised that they have a very big problem with this and it is very costly for them to fix this problem. One truck had to have a new frame put on and they others they are dealing with have to remove the box and cab and do the frames over frame scratch. Very time consuming. my truck is now in the shop and they are not sure if they are going to fix the problem, new frame, strip and redo or wait for gm to see if they buy the truck back. bottom line is this They are waiting for you to complain first they have not sent out letters to advise owners of this problem because they know how expensive this problem is so if people dont complain they wont have to deal with it... Not pleased for a new truck and how they are handling this issue... Also my bumpers are rusted out and the paint is showing rusting spots.. the body shop person couldnt get over how bad a shape my truck is in.... and said GM has a big problem to deal with as many people are starting to complain....

I traded in a 2013 Avalanche that was rusted beyond belief. I loved that truck and lost a lot of money trading it in but it wasn't going to last with all of that rust under it. I feel sorry for the guy who bought it.

Archived