GMC IntelliLink InfoTainment Playable Video Formats

Hi Lee,

I have a 2016 Suburban. I would like to attempt to convert some of the movies I have purchased through iTunes. Do you have a certain converter you can recommend? I have downloaded several free ones and have purchased one as well, but continue to have problems.

I found a great software converter :http://www.tuneskit.com/tuneskit-for-mac.html

this works very well with items you have in your iTunes library it does all the work files come out as MP4 x 480 resolution, after the files runs, simply dump the files onto your USB stick plug it into the reader in the center console under the armrest and you should be able to see the media choice come up on your system under media. i am still playing with files sizes but so far a SD movie converted seems to play pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great topic and happy to have found.

Found same as others before..

Also had a 1TB hard drive USB into the real intellink. No videos found,, data not supported.

After review/research,, confirmed it has to be a FAT32 partition device in order to work for the rear entertainment. My 1TB drive worked fine plugged into the front USB and could play music and videos on the front dash screen,, while in park that is.

So how to fix..

First issue.... if your trying to load movies and such to something larger than 32GB (the max partition windows OS will allow for FAT32), you can't do so using windows file manger or disk manager.. but all is not lost.. download the free "Partition Wizard" here... https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You can format up to 2TBs in FAT32 using this tool.

Once formatted,, just click and drag files to it in Windows like you usually would.

I had success with this on a 65Gb SD card and was able to watch movies from it on the rear screen.

I am in the process of formatting a 1TB USB powered western Digital passport hard drive in FAT 32 using the partition wizard software and then will test a movie file.

I also use a screen capture software called Movani Screen Capture to record shows/movies off amazon and then saves them as a MP4 and the size I want..

Here... http://www.movavi.com/movavi-screen-capture/

More to follow...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You can stream video from your iDevices. You can Miracast your device with the proper dongle. You can also do the following:

1. Buy an Apple digital AV adapter cable http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

2. Buy an HDMI to composite adapter. http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISHD01-MediaLinx-Composite-Adapter/dp/B00LUX1F5K

As for video in motion.. its best to avoid any plug in adapters as it may cause issues with the system (hand shakes). It should be done by software to unlock the HMI module for video in motion.

http://gm-navigation.com/gm/gmc-navs/2013-2015-gm-video-in-motion-and-navigation-unlock.html

Hi jl449! Any update on unlocking the HMI module for video in motion? I bought those 2 items but yeah, I found out video will only work on the front screen when parked. I want to use the rear screen (even the front screen if back is impossible) for my boys to watch YouTube or Netflix while in motion. I drive 2015 Acadia Denali so no hotspot, no CarPlay.

Hi jl449! Any update on unlocking the HMI module for video in motion? I bought those 2 items but yeah, I found out video will only work on the front screen when parked. I want to use the rear screen (even the front screen if back is impossible) for my boys to watch YouTube or Netflix while in motion. I drive 2015 Acadia Denali so no hotspot, no CarPlay.

LAM,

I went with GM navagation to unlock the HMI module instead of adding an external device for video in motion. It works great Contact/text GM navagation Tony for a quote/info. Just text your car make and model with options to him and ask him you would like your HMI unlock for video in motion. I'll pm you his phone #.

or you can use the external device LINK... I don't have it but some have reported it works... I don't know.

• 1 month later...

We're getting a 2016 Yukon XL with the rear entertainment package that give us to DVD screens (2nd and 3rd row).

Can anyone tell me if i's possible to view two different sources (one on each screen) at the some time. Like a DVD on the second and the thumb drive on the third?

I also had the Anthony and Chris from GM nav hack my Sierra, and I love being able to play, movies, access the nav, text messages, and use my rear view camera in motion. I'll be doing the same to the Yukon.

Yes, the 2 screens can play from different sources simultaneously. The wireless headphones have a selector to accommodate. I did the hack w/Anthony - haven't yet done the wiring to make back camera app work, but video in motion is great for front passenger. Text app already there on 2016's, but a subtle hack that I love is ability to change reverse grid lines to a single center line. So useful when hitching a trailer.

Oh, and I have a 2016 Yukon XL, too.

Edited by dfelicia
  • Like 1

Sending my HMI module in to MVI on the 29th to get unlocked. Anthony is fantastic.

Unlocked Sierra along with the back up camera on demand.

Excited to be able to pull up the DVD while in motion now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I use TinyMediaManager at home to keep all of our movies and TV files organized in their own folders and with their "artwork" downloaded from various sources. It's a great tool.

Today I wanted to try an experiment with a Raspberry Pi running Kodi/XBMC to see if I could make it run full screen. My thought was that I could build a small box (similar to ROKU) and maybe tuck it in my center console.

I could have SWORN there was an HDMI input in this truck... apparently there's not.

Anyway, I tried putting in this 128Gb USB drive from Sandish (NTFS formatted) in to the rear USB input, and lo and behold it started auto-playing the first video (alphabetically) on the drive. I used Menu > Folders and browsed around a bit and played several of the videos. All seemed to play, but again I notice the rear screen does not auto-scale the content, so it just plays my 720p content at about 3/4 of the screen. Seems odd that they didn't update this screen to auto-scale up your lower size content.

TL;DR: 128Gb drive formatted as NTFS works in rear USB.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a huge iTunes library with a lot of kids movies (complete with DRM making it a pain to just move files). I bought Noteburner M4V Converter Plus for $45 and problem solved. Select the movie or show in your library you want converted and it makes a lossless copy in about 20 minutes. Drag to SD card, put in SD card slot in 2nd row and the videos fire right up. Using the remote control you can navigate between movies. Only hiccup I ran into is the 2GB max files size on FAT32 (a lot of the HD moves are 4 gb), so I reformatted the SD card using NTFS, moved the movies over and it worked just fine in my Suburban.

http://www.noteburner.com

Edited by markitzero

Yes, the 2 screens can play from different sources simultaneously.

I didn't realize this but just tried it out and it works. Thanks! Only limitation I see is that you must play different sources. Second row screen was SD card, third row I had to change to Bluray to get it to work. I don't see a way to watch two different videos from a single SD card.

IMG_3520.jpg

Has anyone figured out how to be able to select the movie file from the SDcard from the front console.

I can pick the media file for the front monitor only from a usb only if the usb is in one of the front row usb ports.

When I move the usb thumb drive to the second row (the back of the center console) I can't pick from the library. Even in park.

I can pick the file from the back/overhead monitors using the remote.

Am I missing something. My 2 & 3 year olds dont know how to use the remote, so how do I pick between movies.

The DVD player give you a DVD Menu up front when in park, but there's no such thing for the usb or SDcard?