GMC IntelliLink InfoTainment Playable Video Formats

Hi folks,

Wanted to share the settings that have been working on my 2019 Tahoe with single overhead DVD player rear entertainment system. I have a USB port behind the main centerstack display, two in the center console, and two in the 2nd row media center.

I am using Handbrake to convert movies I have downloaded. So far, dimensions of 720x568 and 1280x568 have worked but 720 results in black bars on the side. Here are the parameters I'm using:

Format: MP4 (also saving as .mp4 and not .m4v)

Video codec: MPEG-4

Framerate: 30

Avg Bitrate: 4000 kbps with 2-pass encoding

Audio codec: AAC

Converting a 1:40 (h:m) movie takes about 30 mins and takes up almost 4gb. I will be messing around with the bitrate and constant quality settings to find a balance between quality and decreasing the file size.

I haven't been able to get my 64gb Fat32 drive to work but got a 4gb drive working. Will be trying a 32gb drive soon. 

Edited by bobbynguyen

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bradman0087 said:

i have a 2015 gmc sierra how do i get videos/dvds on to a usb drive in a format that i can watch in park with my daughter while wife is in stores etc..  no rear entertainment just 8inch screen up front.

Cool!  Although it is likely I'll never have a video on a USB stick (I mean, we all have phones right?) it is still cool to know that it can be done.  Say, I wanted to see an aquarium or a fancy Christmas time crackling fireplace recording on my center infotainment display?!?!  No problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have been doing some research. For the longest time I have been using a USB WD 500GB external Hard Drive to play movies on my Rear Infotainment System on my 2018 GMC Yukon with no issues. I have over a 100 movies on this drive for my kids. Recently this hard drive died so I purchased a new a USB WD 1TB External Hard Drive and it wont recognize the drive or content I've added. 

Trouble shooting Time:

I tried formatting the drive into the following formats FAT32, EXFAT, and Mac OS Extended and none worked.

I found an old USB 16gb in thumb drive Formatted to FAT32, I put a movie on it plugged it in and it worked. Strange how this one worked but the other one didn't. 

The other difference besides size of the drive was the thumb drive was USB 2.0 and the new 1TB external drive was USB 3.0.

Luckily I was able to find another External USB 2.0 Drive in my junk drawer. Specs on this one are USB 2.0 External 128GB SSD format FAT32. Put a movie on it and low and behold it worked. 

In my opinion one of two things can be happening. 1st the Rear Infotainment USBs only support USB 2.0 drives. The second idea could be power. Maybe the USB ports in the rear don't supply enough power to a USB 3.0 device in order for it to be recognized by the system. 

The only way to test my second theory would be to use a USB 3.0 Drive with a separate power supply to see if it works. This way it will be getting power from the trucks limited 110 volt instead of the USB connector. 

Hopefully this helps others out there. I did some digging like the rest of you and couldn't find any useful info so I thought I would share.

• 7 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 7:50 PM, Blingsr1 said:

Hi all, I have been doing some research. For the longest time I have been using a USB WD 500GB external Hard Drive to play movies on my Rear Infotainment System on my 2018 GMC Yukon with no issues. I have over a 100 movies on this drive for my kids. Recently this hard drive died so I purchased a new a USB WD 1TB External Hard Drive and it wont recognize the drive or content I've added. 

Trouble shooting Time:

I tried formatting the drive into the following formats FAT32, EXFAT, and Mac OS Extended and none worked.

I found an old USB 16gb in thumb drive Formatted to FAT32, I put a movie on it plugged it in and it worked. Strange how this one worked but the other one didn't. 

The other difference besides size of the drive was the thumb drive was USB 2.0 and the new 1TB external drive was USB 3.0.

Luckily I was able to find another External USB 2.0 Drive in my junk drawer. Specs on this one are USB 2.0 External 128GB SSD format FAT32. Put a movie on it and low and behold it worked. 

In my opinion one of two things can be happening. 1st the Rear Infotainment USBs only support USB 2.0 drives. The second idea could be power. Maybe the USB ports in the rear don't supply enough power to a USB 3.0 device in order for it to be recognized by the system. 

The only way to test my second theory would be to use a USB 3.0 Drive with a separate power supply to see if it works. This way it will be getting power from the trucks limited 110 volt instead of the USB connector. 

Hopefully this helps others out there. I did some digging like the rest of you and couldn't find any useful info so I thought I would share.

I have a 4tb usb 3.0 that works in ntfs and a 2tb usb 3.0 that is formatted the same that doesnt work.  I am at a loss to what works in the rear usb slots.  Anyone have success with 2tb drives?

• 1 year later...

<a href="https://techvki.com/plex-tv-link/"> Plex.tv/link </a>
<a href="https://techvki.com/tbs-com-activate/"> Tbs.com/activate </a>
<a href="https://techvki.com/amc-com-activate/"> Amc.com/activate </a>
<a href="https://techvki.com/activate-fox-com/"> Activate.fox.com </a>
<a href="https://techvki.com/foxnews-com-connect/"> Foxnews.com/connect </a>
<a href="https://techvki.com/android-tv-com-setup/"> Android Tv.com/Setup </a>