Transmission Issues on 2016 Tahoe

12 hours ago, Ken.e said:

I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe LS, owned since new, babied, just hit 50k miles. The transmission has never been amazing by any means but it recently starting shifting erratically. The most annoying part is having to wait 2-3 seconds when going from neutral to D, before I can apply throttle - once the gear is fully engaged I guess. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to dropping $$$$ on a trans. Any preventative measures I can take at this point? 

There's something obviously going on with the transmission. If you keep driving it like this, it will just get worse. If you have the the extended 5 year/60k warranty, let GM cover it. I just hit 61K and my warranty expired and my transmission just went out. Now I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for any repairs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought our first GM product 2.5 weeks ago. 2017 Suburban 69,000 miles, no warranty. 1 owner bought, serviced and traded at the dealer who sold it to me. Fast forward  to yesterday and 340 miles later, my wife calls me and tells me it wont go over 40 miles per hour without revving above to 5k rpm. She parks it and we drop it back off at the dealer. They called me today and said something is coming apart in the transmission and recommend replacing it. Cost is $6,000 but the used car manager will split it with me 50/50. I told them I'd let them know,.

I called GMs customer service rep to see if that is all they expected to see out of these transmissions and they opened a case. Got a call later saying GM would chip in and my cost was now $1974. I told them I'd check with the wife but this would be our first and last GM, half hour later they called and said GM will cover it all. I'm impressed they are covering it, I think I'd be more impressed if these transmissions lasted like they used to but at least they are taking care of us at this point.Hopefully this thing wont turn out to be a huge headache and I can trust it to not to leave the wife and daughters on the side of the road again.  After reading these I'm thinking I should see if they will take the dang thing back altogether

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chedrick said:

I bought our first GM product 2.5 weeks ago. 2017 Suburban 69,000 miles, no warranty. 1 owner bought, serviced and traded at the dealer who sold it to me. Fast forward  to yesterday and 340 miles later, my wife calls me and tells me it wont go over 40 miles per hour without revving above to 5k rpm. She parks it and we drop it back off at the dealer. They called me today and said something is coming apart in the transmission and recommend replacing it. Cost is $6,000 but the used car manager will split it with me 50/50. I told them I'd let them know,.

I called GMs customer service rep to see if that is all they expected to see out of these transmissions and they opened a case. Got a call later saying GM would chip in and my cost was now $1974. I told them I'd check with the wife but this would be our first and last GM, half hour later they called and said GM will cover it all. I'm impressed they are covering it, I think I'd be more impressed if these transmissions lasted like they used to but at least they are taking care of us at this point.Hopefully this thing wont turn out to be a huge headache and I can trust it to not to leave the wife and daughters on the side of the road again.  After reading these I'm thinking I should see if they will take the dang thing back altogether

I for one would like to know how you got GM to replace a transmission on a vehicle that was out of warranty. Quite a trick you pulled there. I'll be saving this post for when mine goes out.

6 hours ago, chedrick said:

I've owned my 34,000 mile 2019 for less than 3 months and so far it has been in the GM shop for three weeks so far on two occasions.  I can't say my confidence is high, neither.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent $1100 on a air conditioning condenser Friday and after hearing noise from underneath the vehicle I just took it back today and they tell me it’s gonna need a new transmission. We bought this 2016 Tahoe LTZ 31 months ago with only 10K miles on it from a Dan Cummins Chevrolet in Paris KY for 54K. We own a 2015 GMC Sierra that we had to replace the AC condenser on last year and I also own a 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible. Needless to say we will NEVER purchase another GMC product...EVER!!! This is unacceptable!!!!

Edited by kattsr1

5 hours ago, kattsr1 said:

Just spent $1100 on a air conditioning condenser Friday and after hearing noise from underneath the vehicle I just took it back today and they tell me it’s gonna need a new transmission. We bought this 2016 Tahoe LTZ 31 months ago with only 10K miles on it from a Dan Cummins Chevrolet in Paris KY for 54K. We own a 2015 GMC Sierra that we had to replace the AC condenser on last year and I also own a 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible. Needless to say we will NEVER purchase another GMC product...EVER!!! This is unacceptable!!!!

Are there any drivability issues that have been accompanying the noise?  What is the noise you are hearing?

2015 Tahoe LTZ with 76k miles. Transmission started shifting roughly, but barely noticeable, on Saturday. On Monday I noticed a 'whirring' or 'whining' sound when engine gets to higher rpm in lower gear. On Tuesday, transmission started slipping and bucking, and drove 2 miles an hour back up my street to my house. Vehicle has been towed to the dealer. It is certified pre-owned, so if it is the transmission, it should be covered by the powertrain warranty, unless the dealer tries to screw me. And yes, I had the AC compressor issue (covered under special coverage warranty) 15k miles ago.

• 3 months later...

We bought our 2019 Tahoe brand new a little over a year ago.  It has about 11,000 miles on it.  Twice now we have experienced the same issues.  Either stopped at a light or a stop sign and when we hit the gas the engine revs high and then slams in to gear and goes.  Since it's under warranty we took it into the dealership.  They are saying that since they can't replicate the issue they can't fix it.  We were told to drive it till it breaks or the check engine light comes on.  I refuse to drive the car while it is doing this.  I have two little kids and am not risking an accident.  We threatened legal action, so they will talk with there boss's and get back to us.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Mover21 said:

We bought our 2019 Tahoe brand new a little over a year ago.  It has about 11,000 miles on it.  Twice now we have experienced the same issues.  Either stopped at a light or a stop sign and when we hit the gas the engine revs high and then slams in to gear and goes.  Since it's under warranty we took it into the dealership.  They are saying that since they can't replicate the issue they can't fix it.  We were told to drive it till it breaks or the check engine light comes on.  I refuse to drive the car while it is doing this.  I have two little kids and am not risking an accident.  We threatened legal action, so they will talk with there boss's and get back to us.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Print these pages, take them to the dealership, and request a sit-down with the service manager.  Have him look you in the eye so he can see you are not making this up.  If he's not receptive, contact the dealership owner and request a sit-down.  Talking to those folks may not change the outcome, but it might.  If it doesn't, repeat this method at another dealership.    

Does anyone here think the Dexron VI fluid is the problem? I switched my 18 with the 6 speed over to AMSOIL signature with 24k miles and it shifts soooo much better than when I ran the stock oil. I changed out the filter, cleaned magnet and was able to replace 10 quarts. I used to get a clunk when going in reverse from park and now that has been eliminated. Just my observations.

I have also read where some forum owners as soon as they buy their trucks, take them home and switch out all the driveling fluids to AMSOIL and don’t have problems.

I am not endorsing AMSOIL in anyway, this is what I read and have experienced first hand.

1 hour ago, Bob2C said:

Does anyone here think the Dexron VI fluid is the problem? I switched my 18 with the 6 speed over to AMSOIL signature with 24k miles and it shifts soooo much better than when I ran the stock oil. I changed out the filter, cleaned magnet and was able to replace 10 quarts. I used to get a clunk when going in reverse from park and now that has been eliminated. Just my observations.

I have also read where some forum owners as soon as they buy their trucks, take them home and switch out all the driveling fluids to AMSOIL and don’t have problems.

I am not endorsing AMSOIL in anyway, this is what I read and have experienced first hand.

It is highly possible since GM uses what cost them the least amount to meet their specification.  Like any other company they are in it to make money.  Using a high quality synthetic can't hurt anything that is for sure.  We have a 2016 Suburban with no transmission issues.  But then I do switch all my vehicles over to AMSOIL within the first 10k miles from new and if I purchase used, like my 2014 Cruze diesel I did it the week after I purchased it. 

One would have to wonder about the fluid that GM uses since they did a complete formulation change to try and fix the 8 sp issues which in some cases it has.  I do know that everyone I know that has a 6 or 8 sp and switched it over to AMSOIL that they are very please like yourself with no issues. 

Anyone interested in trying AMSOIL send me a PM on what you want to try and I can send a quote delivered. I offer a GM-Trucks member discount as well.

• Like 1