Low temperature thermostat?

I have a 2016 Z71 Silverado 1500... I have read that changing the 195 degree thermostat to a 160 degree will increase the horsepower. However I live in Massachusetts, so how is that going to affect the heat in the winter? Will it be significant or not much?

I have never heard of lowering it to increase HP. I know guys that go a lower temp T-stat in old muscle cars to try and keep the Motor running cooler. The thought being that heat is the enemy and would possibly not wear the engine as much. If you did lower it it would effect your heat and it would be colder air coming out of the vents though.

• Like 2

160 will not throw heat once it gets below 40 degrees.

From what I remember, it was a trick back in the day but took a chip or programming to get any benefits. Otherwise, it's not good for the engine, too cold is not good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

160 will not throw heat once it gets below 40 degrees.

From what I remember, it was a trick back in the day but took a chip or programming to get any benefits. Otherwise, it's not good for the engine, too cold is not good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree here,I also ran my fans longer on a programmer (not extreme,moderately)and brunt fans out,learned hard way.This wasn't a GM,but thought I share to know possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ran 160° in every one of my vehicles from 1989 Formula all the way up to my recent LTx series trucks. No issues at all, to many people regurgitating info from forums and such anymore in regards to them that is inaccurate.

GM has to use a higher factory stat in order to meet emissions requirements. Pure, plain and simple is that answer. So yes, you can run a lower stat and yes it will help with keeping the truck cooler, it will help with keeping detonation away as well and NO it wont affect your gas mileage one bit. You will need a custom tune if you run a 160° stat as it will trip a P0128 code in the ECM during the cold months, the ECM has to see 167° with in so many key cycles otherwise the ECM thinks the thermostat is stuck open. You will still have heat as well from the heater, maybe not roast you out of the cab heat, but heat none the less.

I have been using the 180° stats now, they are cooler than the factory 196° stat and also don't require any programming as it still allows the ECM to see the 167° temp, you will also have heat as well from the HVAC with this stat.

I will put a 180° stat in my truck eventually, just had too many other projects going so far this year to mess with it.

• Like 2

I have ran 160° in every one of my vehicles from 1989 Formula all the way up to my recent LTx series trucks. No issues at all, to many people regurgitating info from forums and such anymore in regards to them that is inaccurate.

GM has to use a higher factory stat in order to meet emissions requirements. Pure, plain and simple is that answer. So yes, you can run a lower stat and yes it will help with keeping the truck cooler, it will help with keeping detonation away as well and NO it wont affect your gas mileage one bit. You will need a custom tune if you run a 160° stat as it will trip a P0128 code in the ECM during the cold months, the ECM has to see 167° with in so many key cycles otherwise the ECM thinks the thermostat is stuck open. You will still have heat as well from the heater, maybe not roast you out of the cab heat, but heat none the less.

I have been using the 180° stats now, they are cooler than the factory 196° stat and also don't require any programming as it still allows the ECM to see the 167° temp, you will also have heat as well from the HVAC with this stat.

I will put a 180° stat in my truck eventually, just had too many other projects going so far this year to mess with it.

Umm, I've ran 160 and 180 stats (when that was all "the rage"), and depending on the part of the country you live, you may not get any appreciable heat in the cab...been there, done that, and have the frosty toes to show for it.

Not saying whether it does anything for performance, just that in colder climates you may not have cab heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 Z71 Silverado 1500... I have read that changing the 195 degree thermostat to a 160 degree will increase the horsepower. However I live in Massachusetts, so how is that going to affect the heat in the winter? Will it be significant or not much?

While you may pick up a couple of HP, it'll be so small it would be difficult to measure on a dyno, much less feel in real life, so don't do it for that reason. The only reason one should consider a lower temp thermostat on a stock or nearly stock engine in one of these trucks is if you do a lot of towing in hot weather up large grades. For that they can help keep temps down. Otherwise there's no real benefit.

From my experience, 160 is too low for winter use. The heat will not be as hot and you can run into trouble defrosting at highway speeds. A 180 is generally "hot enough" for winter use but obviously won't give heat quite as hot as stock so if you have no need for it I wouldn't recommend it.

Changing the thermostats on these trucks is only about a 10 minute job (especially if you get an extra housing) so if you do want cooler temps for summer towing, there's no reason to not do that because you're worried about the winter time--just swap twice a year.

• Like 1