Big Whiskey's 2016 2500HD

Big Whiskey

No issues with the shocks over extending with that much of a crank on the bars?

Well, I think it's about the limit. The truck still rides good, but when I hit a big bump, sometimes I can hear a light thumping sound in the front end. I think it's the shock bottoming out. I have some Zone shock extensions still in the box. Just haven't gotten around to installing them yet. If the sound goes away, I'll let you know!

Well, I think it's about the limit. The truck still rides good, but when I hit a big bump, sometimes I can hear a light thumping sound in the front end. I think it's the shock bottoming out. I have some Zone shock extensions still in the box. Just haven't gotten around to installing them yet. If the sound goes away, I'll let you know!

Roger that, level looks good. I just picked up my Duramax Tuesday... already feel like I need to lift the front end a bit.

• Like 1

Roger that, level looks good. I just picked up my Duramax Tuesday... already feel like I need to lift the front end a bit.

Yep, when stock, they're just a little too nose-down for me....but I like a bit of rake for towing my camper.

• 5 months later...

I just read through your build to date.  I really like what you have done.... subtle changes make for a great looking truck.  Just picked up a 15 2500HD myself and your truck is inspiring.  This is is my first Silverado as all my recent trucks have been Fords.  Keep the updates coming as I enjoy reading through people’s build threads.  

• Like 2

On 2/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, tobywrangler said:

I just read through your build to date.  I really like what you have done.... subtle changes make for a great looking truck.  Just picked up a 15 2500HD myself and your truck is inspiring.  This is is my first Silverado as all my recent trucks have been Fords.  Keep the updates coming as I enjoy reading through people’s build threads.  

Thanks for the kind words! I'm very happy with my truck. And, welcome to the good side, haha! I haven't really made any additional changes recently, but I'm planning to update this thread in the spring, when I can get some good pictures. 

• 3 months later...

Love your truck!!! I got my new 17x9 +18 this week and waiting for the tires to get in. I ordered  295/70R17 Nitto ridge grapplers, do you think they’ll fit keeping my 2500 stock height or worse case turning the keys a few times? Want to actually keep the rake since I pull a 7-8k travel trailer. Thanks.

Edited by z71truck82

23 hours ago, z71truck82 said:

Love your truck!!! I got my new 17x9 +18 this week and waiting for the tires to get in. I ordered  295/70R17 Nitto ridge grapplers, do you think they’ll fit keeping my 2500 stock height or worse case turning the keys a few times? Want to actually keep the rake since I pull a 7-8k travel trailer. Thanks.

Thank you! Yes, I think you'll be fine with that setup!

• 4 months later...

15,000 mile update: I bought a work/hunting/fishing beater (2001 Ford Explorer) last December, so the truck spends a lot of time in the garage now. I’ve only put around 6,000 miles on my truck in the past year, and really haven’t changed many things on it. I’m still very happy with my truck overall. Average MPG is still in the 12-13 range, with a combination of city and two-lane highway driving. This is my first crew cab, and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a double cab. I really enjoy the extra space for storage and extra comfort for passengers. This is also my first 2500HD, and I’m still amazed at how much better it handles “truck stuff” than my previous 1500 trucks did.

A couple things I’ve added/changed since the last update: I hated the huge hole in the front bumper, so I added a homemade protector for the transmission cooler. I put a light coat of flat black paint on the tranny cooler to make it less visible, and cut a piece of gutter guard to fit in the gap. A few small bolts, washers, and wing nuts...along with some plasti dip, and I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out. I also changed the upper cargo lights to Wal-Mart LED’s. I’m not sure they’re much brighter than the halogens, but the light color matches the other cargo lights in the bed and the LED’s in the mirrors. I think that’s about it.   

I’m still pleased with my level/wheel/tire setup, but sometimes I wish I would have went with a bigger tire. When I see another leveled 2500HD on 35’s, I get tire envy, haha. I’m considering running this setup through the winter, and finding a set of black takeoffs from a midnight or Alaskan HD, and running some 35x12.50x18 or 285/75/18 for the summer. Time will tell.

A few things I’m also considering: I’m going to price some black/smoked tail lights and third brake light. I think that would go with my black/silver theme much better than the bright red. I’ve also thought about adding an electric exhaust cutout to bypass the muffler, but still having the option of quiet exhaust on long trips while towing. I’m afraid to scrap the stock muffler completely, because of too many horror stories about the 6.0 drone. Also, I’ll probably trim the bottom few inches off the lower air dam when I feel ambitious enough to tackle it.

And I thought I’d post a few pictures after a fresh wash & wax today, since I know how much we all like pictures!  

Gutter guard, after trimming and plasti-dip:

1318f3bdf86618fbf451dfe02d194c92.jpg

Hardware for mounting the tranny cooler guard:

9e8260a9872a2a10d595e64562453cb5.jpg

LED cargo lights:

b70c89e645f263e7cceb97148a4051aa.jpg

On the way home from the car wash:

2bf4a54b1e4e070328f8f91271190569.jpg

After a fresh coat of wax:

043e44c71b590a39778fb57b9c02506e.jpg

e402a81a194bbbde1195c5ab58a8d1bb.jpg

5ea1beb947673bebc766880a4f43dd78.jpg

1f72e18e9bbc775ed817189748d28123.jpg

• Like 1

Love your build thread bud! I myself have a 2015 white crew lt with Duramax. 

Going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 17" wheels the end of this month. Was going to go with 285/70r17 but then found your build thread! So nice to find someone with the stock 17" wheels! Most don't know they exsist! 

So I know you said they don't rub at stock height, but do you think they will rub off road on forestry roads and hunting grounds? No rock climbing here or high speed off road use. 

Hoping you say they will be fine at stock height, but I did already replace my shocks with Bilstein and the fronts are good for up to 1 1/2" of lift. Don't really want to crank the bars but if I did 2-4 turns for 1/2"- 1" will I notice a worse ride?

Thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, rsay3 said:

Love your build thread bud! I myself have a 2015 white crew lt with Duramax. 

Going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 17" wheels the end of this month. Was going to go with 285/70r17 but then found your build thread! So nice to find someone with the stock 17" wheels! Most don't know they exsist! 

So I know you said they don't rub at stock height, but do you think they will rub off road on forestry roads and hunting grounds? No rock climbing here or high speed off road use. 

Hoping you say they will be fine at stock height, but I did already replace my shocks with Bilstein and the fronts are good for up to 1 1/2" of lift. Don't really want to crank the bars but if I did 2-4 turns for 1/2"- 1" will I notice a worse ride?

Thanks guys!!

Thanks! I replied to your PM. I think you'll be with with 285/75's at stock height. And, if you crank your torsion bars 1" you won't notice much ride difference at all.